Merc pvp healing

Jeffakong

I may just be doing this wrong but I feel almost useless in pvp. Once people notice me I'm dead and that's it. I use the knock back but I either get pulled or they jump right back to me. I cant kill anyone 1v1. I feel most of my healing comes from getting heal locked and that's if I'm lucky enough to not be chain stunned until I'm dead. I've also seen other healers heal for almost 200k and still dish out enough dmg for the 75k dmg done medal. I have no clue how they pull this off cause I'm either dead to fast or I over heat too fast trying to switch between damage and healing. Anyone have any suggestions or is this pretty much how it goes for us in pvp?

I think they have some kinks in their bolster mechanic, I don't know about your level, but I was quite surprised to fine my 16 BH facing a 34 juggurnaut in HUTTBALL the other day. Even if I was bosoted, that ***** was not going down by my hand.

You absolutely need to be level 40+ to be a useful Merc healer. The synergy of our heals gets exponentially better with the talents higher up in the tree. As a level 50 Merc healer in BGs I usually do 250k-400k healing.

My suggestion to you, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, is to respec Arsenal and either level up or play BGs as Arsenal. Merc healing is just crappy until you are leveled for it, but once you are I feel it is just as competitive as the other healing classes.

Edited by Krenium

You absolutely need to be level 40+ to be a useful Merc healer. The synergy of our heals gets exponentially better with the talents higher up in the tree. As a level 50 Merc healer in BGs I usually do 250k-400k healing.

My suggestion to you, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, is to respec Arsenal and either level up or play BGs as Arsenal. Merc healing is just crappy until you are leveled for it, but once you are I feel it is just as competitive as the other healing classes.

I dont believe in any of this at all. You are useful at any level as a healer, you just get better as you level. Early in BGs you just need to focus your healing to keep only a couple players up and not all of them. When you level up you get a shield to pop on someone and your healing scans make your rapid scans cost less heat, but the mechanics of the class stay the same. You have to position yourself and pick your healing targets in the same manner so playing it from level 10 on benefits you.

For damage you may want to use Fusion Missile, it puts out good damage and DFA on a pack will get your damage up there. Depending on how you spec, in the 40s you will also be able to pump out 0 heat Power Shots at +16% damage for 10 seconds. Pretty nice.

I dont believe in any of this at all. You are useful at any level as a healer, you just get better as you level. Early in BGs you just need to focus your healing to keep only a couple players up and not all of them. When you level up you get a shield to pop on someone and your healing scans make your rapid scans cost less heat, but the mechanics of the class stay the same. You have to position yourself and pick your healing targets in the same manner so playing it from level 10 on benefits you.

For damage you may want to use Fusion Missile, it puts out good damage and DFA on a pack will get your damage up there. Depending on how you spec, in the 40s you will also be able to pump out 0 heat Power Shots at +16% damage for 10 seconds. Pretty nice.

I believe in it. Arsenal will help you level faster, since you have a dedicated healer at the start of the game (rare) and don't get a tank that can hold agro for your healing until the last two companions. It also emphasizes the near universal damage rotation for mercs. You will be spamming Powershot/Tracer Missile solo and even in PvP. You will be spamming it a lot.

I would recommend respeccing at about level 30. This is where Flashpoints will be looking for talented (specced) healers to complete missions smoothly. It's also where you can pick up enough of your abilities to be very useful. It'll be a bit rough to pick up spot healing in PvE since you still won't have a tank companion, but it's doable. This is the route I took, and I healed my way to 50.

Mechanics of the bodyguard in pvp are generally balancing healing with damage. Kolto Shell is free, use it anytime, anywhere you think damage might fall. Great for huttball and healer+tank pairs. I find it's best to rotate heal bursts into a couple of groups (Activation time ability + Instant -> Repeat). These will keep you at about 20-30 heat throughout the rotation. When you hit full SCG, you can alternate Rapid and Healing ad nauseum and pop your Vent heat afterwards. I sometimes go the other route and save SCG for heat dissipation/damage dealing. I've specced enough with my remaining points to make Powershot completely free during this period. So I can spam 9 Powershots (~1.1 cast time) in the 10 second window and be back to 0 heat at the end of it. While not as nice as an Arsenal, the added 15-20k damage in that 10s period will definitely add some stress to a focus target. Just make sure nobody needs healing while you do it :p