The removal of requirements

worsin

I've been gone for several years and I come back to find a lot of things have been watered down to the point that it's trivial.

Why were the requirements for collecting mats removed? You can now collect tier 10 mats at skill 0.

This makes no sense to me and is an insult to those of us that spent the time to grind out level 500 on 3 skills for 15+ characters.

Whats next? Unlocking all titles for everyone? Perhaps we should just make everyone level 70 with command 300 as soon as they make their character.

This type of watering down of a game is what makes people stop playing. I would be interested to know what the logic was behind this decision.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10202015/game-update-4.0-knights-fallen-empire-early-access

Game Update 4.0: Knights of the Fallen Empire Early Access: (10/20/2015)

Harvesting and Mission Skill Changes

• All unlocked Crew Skill Missions are now fully visible and no longer randomized.
  • Crew Skill Mission unlocks have been aligned with the new Grade system from above.
  • Crew Skill Missions will now grant slightly more materials than they did previously.
  • Harvesting Nodes can now be harvested regardless of your skill level.
  • Harvesting Nodes will now grant Skill Increases regardless of the Node or your skill level.
  • Harvesting Nodes grant different amounts of materials based on the player’s skill level. Players that are below the skill level of the node will receive fewer materials, and those higher than the node will receive more.
  • All Harvesting Nodes now have a chance to grant both sets of materials for their respective Grade.
  • Archaeology Crystals now grant Fragments and Crystals in addition to Color Crystals.
  • The completion time for Crew Skill Missions has been greatly reduced.

Developer blog from 10/6/2015:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20151006

Anywho, it's been this way for 3 years now. You're a little late to be complaining about something that's been in effect this long. I don't know what to tell you except: if you don't like the current state of crafting, don't craft. The rest of us will happily continue.

Whats next? Unlocking all titles for everyone? Perhaps we should just make everyone level 70 with command 300 as soon as they make their character.

Seems a bit dramatic to be honest.

Edited by Eragon_Argetlam

While mats can be collected at any level, there are still restrictions on crafting and that will depend on your crafting level so you still need to progress to 300 to make the items (like augments) most people will buy.

While mats can be collected at any level, there are still restrictions on crafting and that will depend on your crafting level so you still need to progress to 300 to make the items (like augments) most people will buy.

This.

And have you tried gathering a node way over your skill? You get 1 or 2 units of material. If you have the "proper skill" you get 8 to 16 total units of material.

The point of the change was and is to allow characters to move through the story and not have the players worry about their gathering skill level; one no longer has to stay on a planet they overlevel and/or are done with just to improve gathering skill level. I am an avid crafter and I applaud this change; I HATED it when I had to make a choice to either run missions to get skill ups (spending credits I did not have [back then]) or wasting an hour scrounging nodes.

Seems a bit dramatic to be honest.

Its because as a returning player I see a HUGE list of problems with this game that give me the impression that they don't really care anymore for keeping it alive. This is just 1 more thing that has either dumbed down the game when it was perfectly fine before or made it way too easy.

I've been a big fan of SWTOR since launch, I come back here and there to do the new storylines...it saddens me to see the direction it's gone and the lack of attention to detail.

Its only redeeming quality now is that the story is good, even that though is riddled with texture bugs in nearly every cutscene.

I can't imagine new players coming to SWTOR and not having a bad impression.

I can't imagine new players coming to SWTOR and not having a bad impression.

Perhaps, but "I can collect materials anywhere even at low crew skill levels" is likely to be very, very low on a new player's list of bad things he notices. Buggy missions, foul-mouthed loons on Fleet, flaky textures, "missing texture" words all over the boarding pods in Black Talon and The Esseles, questionable (I'm being charitable, thanks) PvP class balance, and so on will be much more visible on their radar.

And of course if you religiously work your gathering skills, you won't even notice it anyway.

So yes, you were being over-dramatic about this one specific thing.