Are there any significant differences between LC's and QLC's?

Loadsamonie

Seems like they both have very similar effective ranges, energy use, and damage output. I don't have much of a choice on Nova Dive, but FLashfire has Quads, and I'm wondering which one will perform better with Rocket Pods, and/or which one just performs better in general.

No scout has both LC's and Quad's as options at the same time, so it'll never be one vs the other.

But I have the option of making my Flashfire a Quads and Pods jouster, or leaving it as a BLC/Cluster dogfighter with maximum Firing Arc, and making Novadive the jouster instead with LC's. That's why I'm asking how LC's perform in comparison to Quads.

But I have the option of making my Flashfire a Quads and Pods jouster, or leaving it as a BLC/Cluster dogfighter with maximum Firing Arc, and making Novadive the jouster instead with LC's. That's why I'm asking how LC's perform in comparison to Quads.

Well, an advantage of the Quads over the LC's is their small amount of shield piercing and having a crit build possibility. But they are energy hogs though, so the effectiveness will depend on how accurate you are, and how well you manage your energy. Conversely, the LC's get a small bonus to shield damage, so it's a matter of preference of shield piercing vs shield crushing.

More importantly though, since the Flashfire has more shields than Novadive, it would have a better chance than the Novadive at surviving a head-to-head encounter where the enemy is shooting at you as you approach.

Edited by HeatRacer

Well, an advantage of the Quads over the LC's is their small amount of shield piercing and having a crit build possibility. But they are energy hogs though, so the effectiveness will depend on how accurate you are, and how well you manage your energy. Conversely, the LC's get a small bonus to shield damage, so it's a matter of preference of shield piercing vs shield crushing.

More importantly though, since the Flashfire has more shields than Novadive, it would have a better chance than the Novadive at surviving a head-to-head encounter where the enemy is shooting at you as you approach.

In that case, I wonder if it'd be worth buying the Skybolt, since that has both Quads and Pods just like the Flashfire, with the same shield strength as the Flashfire. Then I could use one for jousting and one for dogfighting, and both would be optimal for their respective roles.

In that case, I wonder if it'd be worth buying the Skybolt, since that has both Quads and Pods just like the Flashfire, with the same shield strength as the Flashfire. Then I could use one for jousting and one for dogfighting, and both would be optimal for their respective roles.

The Skybolt is a reskin of the Flashfire, so many people do exactly that. ;)

1400cc is pretty steep though. Is it worth it?

It isn't to me, but only you know your own finances. Personally, I roll a Novadive/Blackbolt over the Flashfire/Sting, with RFL's, Thermite Torp, and EMP. Though, I use it for more node-capping and anti-bomber duties than jousting, for which I use Strikes.

It isn't to me, but only you know your own finances. Personally, I roll a Novadive/Blackbolt over the Flashfire/Sting, with RFL's, Thermite Torp, and EMP. Though, I use it for more node-capping and anti-bomber duties than jousting, for which I use Strikes.

None of the Strikes have Rocket Pods from what I've seen though, and those are Joust City. Ideally, I would like a ship that can run both Pods and HLC's.

None of the Strikes have Rocket Pods from what I've seen though, and those are Joust City. Ideally, I would like a ship that can run both Pods and HLC's.

If you're just looking for the best Joust build it's actually a Strike fighter right now, you just run the Piledriver setup which is detailed in this thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=944782

This setup puts out way more sustained and Burst Damage then Quads and Pods, while being much tankier and also having access to other missiles like Protons or Concussions.

If you're really only into Scouts then Quads and Pods Flashfire is definitely the way to go, but it really isn't a good build anymore.

If you're just looking for the best Joust build it's actually a Strike fighter right now, you just run the Piledriver setup which is detailed in this thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=944782

This setup puts out way more sustained and Burst Damage then Quads and Pods, while being much tankier and also having access to other missiles like Protons or Concussions.

If you're really only into Scouts then Quads and Pods Flashfire is definitely the way to go, but it really isn't a good build anymore.

I take it BLC's and Clusters Flashfire isn't very good anymore then either.

BLC's are still viable, but do take more skill to use since you have to be good at sneaking up, or chasing without overshooting, to be at ideal range. Great for on-satellite duty though.

How do the closer-range weapons pair with pods and Clusters? Lights and Rapids?

How do the closer-range weapons pair with pods and Clusters? Lights and Rapids?

BLC/Pods and BLC/Cluster are still good builds in Domination, but Scouts are in a pretty rough spot for Deathmatch currently. Closing in that much distance just leaves you too open to getting peeled by lock on weapons now that it only really works if you can fight in close range while having something to Line of Sight around, like a Satellite.

Scouts in Deathmatch are relegated to very support type builds, like an EMP T1 Scout.

Burst lasers are still very much king of Satellite fighting, nothing comes even close to them for that, and since the T2 Scouts best role right now is as a Satellite fighter they are definitely the best laser for that ship.

Lights and Rapids are much better lasers now, but they still don't come close to BLC for on Satellite fighting.

BLC/Pods and BLC/Cluster are still good builds in Domination, but Scouts are in a pretty rough spot for Deathmatch currently. Closing in that much distance just leaves you too open to getting peeled by lock on weapons now that it only really works if you can fight in close range while having something to Line of Sight around, like a Satellite.

Scouts in Deathmatch are relegated to very support type builds, like an EMP T1 Scout.

Burst lasers are still very much king of Satellite fighting, nothing comes even close to them for that, and since the T2 Scouts best role right now is as a Satellite fighter they are definitely the best laser for that ship.

Lights and Rapids are much better lasers now, but they still don't come close to BLC for on Satellite fighting.

Between the two, I'm going to assume that Rapids are better than Lights, just because of armor penetration.

The T3 bomber can equip LC or QLC, if you want to fly a few matches for a direct comparison. I think you are more interested in scouts though. LC NovaDive is definitely not a jousting build. QLC + pods + retro Flashfire may be, depending on skill/build/health of your opponent. Retro Thruster is an important part of the joust. Another significant difference is that LC has higher accuracies than QLC.

Personally, I haven't got around to trying out the new RFL much. I still switch between LC and LLC on NovaDive, and BLC, QLC and LLC on Flashfire. I always take Powerdive and try not to joust. I don't encounter that many Charged Plating opponents. If that changes, I would definitely give RFL another look.