The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So, just finished reading r/Reddit/StephenReid Q/A

Tiaa

You could have saved yourself the time of reading any of it past the top, where he states:

I mean really. What a fluffy job he has :p

Hes a community manager... hes not a coder, designer, or has any technical know-how about the game. Hes Bioware's face to the ppl that play their games... hes not completely inside all the tech savvy issues - all he has to know hes "how things are going" so he can give some feed back without having to become technical.

Plus hes good at it, not giving us TOO MUCH info, which can translate into disappointments nor giving too less which can translate into "omgz bioware doesnt care qqqqqq!!!111oneone"... and hes a lot smarter than that idiot that ran Warhammer stuff called mark jacobs... but, I'm sorry Reid for even mentioning your name and his on the same sentence.

I am honestly amazed how they say everything is difficult, get some competent employees if everything is so damn hard to implement.

As somebody who's not a stranger to software development, I often find myself wondering whether BioWare developers are competent enough. UI team (apparently they have a UI team, not an unpaid intern) needs to get replaced with people who actually have some clue about UI design.

I honestly dont know how any of this crap made it past beta. You have guild lists that dont work, was noone ever in a guild in beta or did you just not give a damn?

Pfft, I think I have a rather plausible scenario how everything made it past beta. So back in September Blizzard Activision announces that Diablo 3 won't be released in 2011 (early 2012 likely), EA sees the opportunity, phones in. Bioware does feature freeze and rushes half-baked and poorly tested product to the market to squeeze into the release window.

Overall the game is playable. But personally, I am not so forgiving as many others. Why? Because I wouldn't buy a TV that poorly functions, a car that only applies brakes every other time or a slightly spoiled steak. So, I don't understand why software companies should be treated differently.

Forget the content. There are lots of OBVIOUS bugs. I can't even avoid the majority of them. I have never, EVER, in my entire time of gaming in MMOS encountered this many or had a whole guild of 150+ have nothing to talk about half the time other than the bugs.

http://www.play.tm/article/6445/trouble-in-the-world-of-warcraft/

Really, I agree there are bugs. Hell, a friend of mine got stuck in the ground ALL DAY before I came and harpooned him out since the CSRs had not responded to him in 8 hours...

But come on, really? The above article was about wows fist patch crippling the ENTIRE EU servers due to the lag.

That's just one example of how it could be worse, and that was the all mighty WOW.

Your telling me this is worse than

Age of Conan's Launch?

Eve Online's Launch?

Anarchy Online's Launch?

DC Online's Launch?

Everquest 2's Launch?

Star Wars Galaxies Launch?

Don't be so dramatic, take the rose colored glasses off. If you played ANY of those games at launch then you have to know your wrong about that statement.

I dont see how it is difficult to provide server forums. They actually said it was difficult... WHAT?

In fact, it requires building out an entire network and server architecture separate from the main website's network and server architecture, likely costing something like US$1M to bring up, and another US$25k/month to maintain, plus at least two or three additional hands just to maintain it. Sure, bringing up ONE SERVER for A SMALL FORUM is easy. Bringing up DOZENS of servers for a forum that has to serve as much traffic as this forum serves is a massive undertaking.

And Bioware hasn't even managed to get THIS server system up to par for handling the load. Let alone a second server system. I'm frustrated by how often the website goes into queued mode, but as a developer of large-scale internet applications, I completely understand why it's happening.

And the thing with hoods being up/down. That is not difficult

... at the bare minimum, every single robe that has a hood would have to be re-modeled to a) remove the current hood, and b) add TWO additional models (one for up, one for down). Plus the click button to change the state, and the actual state change implementation. Plus the additional assets will have to be stored on your PC. A single designer can probably do the model changes in the course of 2 to 4 hours per model. The development changes, assuming it's a solid codebase, are probably going to take roughly 8 hours, plus a week of QA.

Would you like them to put off bug fixing so they can have an entire team of developers and designers spend one month on hoods?

AND YOU ARE GIVING US MORE OPERATIONS NEXT MONTH?

... you're complaining that they are putting in new content while asking for new content. You are completely off your rocker.

Edited by kkragenbrink