is crafting dead?

Thermonuked

let me just start by saying i know a lot of things are still crafted on a regular basis, and some like augments can only be crafted, that's not the point of this post.

i cant remember the last time i sent my companions out on a crew skill mission and 1 of them came back with a schematic for anything, there has been no new schematics for cosmetic items like dyes and crystals for years, no new armour "shells", no weapon shells, nothing, but the cash cow that is the cartel market seems to be bringing out new things all the time.

come on EA, share some love with the crafters of swtor, gives us some new schematics for cosmetic items, even if its for things that are no longer available on the market and therefore not taking any money out of your wallets, let us build more mounts, armour sets, dyes and crystals.

let me just start by saying i know a lot of things are still crafted on a regular basis, and some like augments can only be crafted, that's not the point of this post.

i cant remember the last time i sent my companions out on a crew skill mission and 1 of them came back with a schematic for anything, there has been no new schematics for cosmetic items like dyes and crystals for years, no new armour "shells", no weapon shells, nothing, but the cash cow that is the cartel market seems to be bringing out new things all the time.

come on EA, share some love with the crafters of swtor, gives us some new schematics for cosmetic items, even if its for things that are no longer available on the market and therefore not taking any money out of your wallets, let us build more mounts, armour sets, dyes and crystals.

From a "cosmetic" perspective crafting is hardly dead. Sure, there has not been any new "randomly obtained" schematics from crew skills in some time, but they have released new dyes and color crystals schematics with each new grade of materials and they are all desirable (to varying degrees). Also Armormech and Synthweaving have schematics to craft armor from; yes they may have stats associated with them but that does not mean they cannot be used cosmetically (in the outfit designer).

Just because there are no longer those highly sought extremely hard to get schematics does not mean crafting is dead.

• 1 month later...
If you're doing it for profit? Yeah. It's dead.

If you're doing it to further the aims of a guild? No, it's not dead, but it's also not a primary activity, either.

I disagree I still craft regularly for credit, dyes, color crystals, augments, and high end stims can still easily be a good source of credits.

If you're doing it for profit? Yeah. It's dead.

If you're doing it to further the aims of a guild? No, it's not dead, but it's also not a primary activity, either.

I have made so much crafting for profit that I GAVE AWAY 700 million (to my guild). And in the two months since - with GREATLY reduced effort (used to be 10 passes of crafting a week at 25 minutes per pass [13 total characters] or roughly 4.5 hours a week of effort; now I only do about 1/3 that: 3 or 4 passes a week, same amount of time per pass) - I have made 150 million credits (and so you know I tend to spend more credits than I make "playing the game"; as a progression raider my repair bills GREATLY exceed what I get from mission rewards of other aspects of play).

• 1 month later...
I disagree I still craft regularly for credit, dyes, color crystals, augments, and high end stims can still easily be a good source of credits.

Operative word there is "can" - it's easier, and more reliable at this point, to just run my alts through heroics for money. Crafting has become a fickle, unlikely way to generate income, especially as the game showers you with the items you need to progress - indeed, the game's happy to let you skip all that nasty progression business and just buy your way into the endgame, where most of your gear's provided not by crafters, but by the game itself as long as you've ground through enough command levels & such to get the currency du jour used to purchase endgame gear.

I have made so much crafting for profit that I GAVE AWAY 700 million (to my guild). And in the two months since - with GREATLY reduced effort (used to be 10 passes of crafting a week at 25 minutes per pass [13 total characters] or roughly 4.5 hours a week of effort; now I only do about 1/3 that: 3 or 4 passes a week, same amount of time per pass) - I have made 150 million credits (and so you know I tend to spend more credits than I make "playing the game"; as a progression raider my repair bills GREATLY exceed what I get from mission rewards of other aspects of play).

Right.