The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Create your own companion!

HnnahEliz

So I was running around a rather old MMO I used to play years back... Guild Wars 1 and they have a Companion system where you have 7 AI you can add to your party. Some are uncustomisable but some are very customisable.

Within this system is a thing called Mercenaries which are companions that take on the name and look of other playable characters. You can change their weapons and their skills and its altogether really fun.

So why not implement a system like that here?

So you buy a Token that let's you register a level 70 Character as a Companion and you can customise its skills, equip armour and weapons on it etc

I know that we have so many companions now that honestly people don't care too much but I think this would give players a Companion they can really care about.

Anyway give me your thoughts! Thanks for reading!

I think it's a fine idea, but this created companion would have no life at all before joining you. He or she would just appear out of nowhere and joins your team. Also, a day or so, I chat with a girl about weapons. We were talking about ranged weapons, and she bringed up the topic of an ingame weapon creator after I mentioned the possibly upcomnig weapon designer. I supported her idea and told her that the ingame weapon creator would come with a large selection of parts. Basically, now I'm adding this now, it would be pimp my blaster (pistol, rifle, sniper rifle), lightsaber, vibrosword etc.. in SWTOR. all via the item mod station. Said large selection would come from the countless weapons ingame. And we could get to color them to match our outfit or as we see fit. But we still have to put mods and crystal in it.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this would rejuvenate the game quite a bit. I liked doing this in Dragons Dogma. If they added a backstory window to the character /companion screen you could write in a paragraph to describe your new comp. I used to spend hours reading player backstories in other games as i roamed around.

Well I was just talking about this in another thread, so **** it, I'll elaborate on my version of the idea here.

You start out with blanks (let's call them protoforms) of a few basic categories:

-Basic Humanoid Protoform

-Basic Droid Protoform

-Basic Creature Protoform

The first two are self-explanatory, the last one is anything that doesn't fit the former, including tiny companions like Jawas/Ugnaughts etc.

You buy the protoform of your choice, then you apply a framework to it. Frameworks can be:

-Male/female of each AC

-A generic template (i.e. Male Nautolan)

-A non-humanoid creature (i.e. tuk'ata, nexu, Jawa)

-Droid (choice of humanoid, astromech, or crawler)

-Premium NPC (an existing NPC that's not already a companion, for instance Satele Shan, Darth Malgus etc). These will obviously be more expensive. Can only be applied to the proper protoform (for example, you can't apply Satele's framework to a creature protoform)

Upon combining the first two elements you then have a degree of customization, based on the option:

-Male/female humanoid AC's will be fully customizable in terms of appearance/body and name, meaning you can recreate your existing characters. They will be voiced in combat using stock class phrases (i.e. a inquisitor companion entering combat might say "Murder and mayhem await!").

-Generic templates will have a choice of Force or tech user and weapon proficiency. They will be the same as AC's, except they'll draw from a random NPC voice, assuming there are enough existing lines in that voice to cover all the things a companion might say (i.e entering combat, combat boast, healing boast and so on). If there are not (or if there's an element of RNG) the voice will be Huttese/alien nonsense, like the Star Fortress comps. The reason this is an option is because it might allow certain choices that the current character creator does not, like a male Nautolan. If more races are released for character creation, they may fit with the AC framework.

-Droids will either have generic template voices but with a synthetic filter, or droidsounds/droidspeak. Customization will be limited to in-game droid models (based on the framework chosen) and maybe some coloring options. Humanoid droids will get a weapon proficiency choice.

-Creatures make creature sounds. If the creature framework can use a weapon, it will get a proficiency choice.

-Premium NPCs will not be customizable at all, beyond what's possible with existing comps (ie. armor/weapons). A limiting factor to which NPCs can be used is of course whether they have the lines recorded for companion dialogue.

Once the components are purchased, you visit a "recruitment center" and make your companion. Once made, companions cannot be unmade, and customization is limited to what existing companions have (i.e. armor/weapons). Upon successfully making a companion you also get a deco of them as you would any other companion. Additionally, the vendor for these things may also sell additional deco options like holostatues, regular statues or even grand statues of the companion you've made.

I doubt they'd implement something this large at this stage, but we can always dream.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Well I was just talking about this in another thread, so **** it, I'll elaborate on my version of the idea here.

You start out with blanks (let's call them protoforms) of a few basic categories:

-Basic Humanoid Protoform

-Basic Droid Protoform

-Basic Creature Protoform

The first two are self-explanatory, the last one is anything that doesn't fit the former, including tiny companions like Jawas/Ugnaughts etc.

You buy the protoform of your choice, then you apply a framework to it. Frameworks can be:

-Male/female of each AC

-A generic template (i.e. Male Nautolan)

-A non-humanoid creature (i.e. tuk'ata, nexu, Jawa)

-Droid (choice of humanoid, astromech, or crawler)

-Premium NPC (an existing NPC that's not already a companion, for instance Satele Shan, Darth Malgus etc). These will obviously be more expensive. Can only be applied to the proper protoform (for example, you can't apply Satele's framework to a creature protoform)

Upon combining the first two elements you then have a degree of customization, based on the option:

-Male/female humanoid AC's will be fully customizable in terms of appearance/body and name, meaning you can recreate your existing characters. They will be voiced in combat using stock class phrases (i.e. a inquisitor companion entering combat might say "Murder and mayhem await!").

-Generic templates will have a choice of Force or tech user and weapon proficiency. They will be the same as AC's, except they'll draw from a random NPC voice, assuming there are enough existing lines in that voice to cover all the things a companion might say (i.e entering combat, combat boast, healing boast and so on). If there are not (or if there's an element of RNG) the voice will be Huttese/alien nonsense, like the Star Fortress comps. The reason this is an option is because it might allow certain choices that the current character creator does not, like a male Nautolan. If more races are released for character creation, they may fit with the AC framework.

-Droids will either have generic template voices but with a synthetic filter, or droidsounds/droidspeak. Customization will be limited to in-game droid models (based on the framework chosen) and maybe some coloring options. Humanoid droids will get a weapon proficiency choice.

-Creatures make creature sounds. If the creature framework can use a weapon, it will get a proficiency choice.

-Premium NPCs will not be customizable at all, beyond what's possible with existing comps (ie. armor/weapons). A limiting factor to which NPCs can be used is of course whether they have the lines recorded for companion dialogue.

Once the components are purchased, you visit a "recruitment center" and make your companion. Once made, companions cannot be unmade, and customization is limited to what existing companions have (i.e. armor/weapons). Upon successfully making a companion you also get a deco of them as you would any other companion. Additionally, the vendor for these things may also sell additional deco options like holostatues, regular statues or even grand statues of the companion you've made.

I doubt they'd implement something this large at this stage, but we can always dream.

Great idea!