The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Colour Crystal/s

Cattooo

A thumbnail I saw on YouTube actually inspired this. How about a rainbow gem crystal for our lightsabers? Makes the blade of the lightsaber fade in and out of different colours, hence the rainbow effect. So, it would not be solid colour, switching to solid colour, but instead, a fluid mix of four or six colours. I suppose you could have different rainbow gems, each with a different variant of colour* hues.

I for one would think it pretty cool to see a purple/red/orange/pink rainbow crystal.

Could be called different names as well.

Such as, for the one I just described, it could be named "Coruscanti Sunset".

A blue, green, cyan, teal and silver could be called "Manaan Tides".

You know, something like that...

What does everyone else think?

Is it even possible?

Would you like to see this in game?

*yes, I spell it colour and not color.

Is it even possible?

Of course it is. That's not the interesting question, though. The interesting question is, "is it feasible?", and I'd have to say that it quite possibly isn't, but I don't know enough about the graphical engine to say for sure.

"Feasible" is like "possible" except that it takes into account the costs of making it, things like:

* Programmer time to add the code to do it.

* Quality Assurance time on every existing and new Tuning to make sure it interacts in a sane way with the rainbow crystals.

* Artist time to design the new crystals.

* QA time to validate that they work correctly in real in-game situations.

* Programmer time to "tune" the feature so that it doesn't degrade performance in group content (Ops, Ups, FPs, WZs, etc.)

* QA time to validate that tuning.

* A host of other oddities, like evaluating what blaster bolts should look like, and so on.

I suspect these costs would be prohibitive, adding the feature to the long list of "we can do that, but we probably won't because it is too expensive".

*yes, I spell it colour and not color.

Yes, me too. It's the normal British spelling, after all.

• 2 weeks later...