Inconsistency between Chapter 2 and 3 of Jedi Knight Story

Tankdoog

Out of curiosity, how does the Knight go from being one-shot by the Emperor's voice during the storming of the fortress, to being strong enough to fight the voice on even terms in Chapter 3? I haven't played the story in a long time, but there's no way the knight should have progressed in strength by such a wide margin that quickly. Was the Emperor weakened, or did BioWare simply overlook that massive gap in power?

Out of curiosity, how does the Knight go from being one-shot by the Emperor's voice during the storming of the fortress, to being strong enough to fight the voice on even terms in Chapter 3? I haven't played the story in a long time, but there's no way the knight should have progressed in strength by such a wide margin that quickly. Was the Emperor weakened, or did BioWare simply overlook that massive gap in power?

I always got the impression that he overwhelmed you mentally and that when Master Orgus helped you break free from the control, your will had increased enough so that he couldn't mind **** you into submission again rather than it being him using some powerful move that overwhelmed you physically.

He overwhelms everyone mentally turning the Jedi strike team to the dark side, he's extremely powerful but I think that after having his voice at Voss killed and multiple failures in his plans he was somewhat in a weakened and desperate state at the end of chapter 3, plus your willpower and martial skill probably increased in the meantime. Those are my 2 cents anyway,

It's made pretty explicit that the Emperor's one-shotting of you and your fellow Jedi was mental domination, and that your ability to break free of that mental domination has rendered you immune to it. This is why you are forced to take T7 with you into the final confrontation with the Emperor. It is discussed that any of your human companions would be susceptible to his mental domination.

It's also made explicit that he is in a weakened state. When Tol Braga tells you where to find him he states, "I will give you the Emperor's coordinates. Even in his weakened state, you are no match for him."

I don't think there is any inconsistency here at all. It's made very clear why the second confrontation is different.

The usual take on it is that the Emperor invested a lot into the rituals on Belsavis, Voss, and Corellia (which we ruined) and even though he wanted out of the Voice that was stuck on Voss (Sith Warrior story) having to change Voice is still draining to him. So, yeah. Couldn't mess with our heads any more and weakened throughout Chapter 3 until we kill (or inconvenient discorporeate) him.

I am curious here was the emperor that owned us at the end of chapter 3 the one on Voss in the warrior story?

Well, the wrappings around his head would neatly disguise whether or not he was a Voss when he took out the Jedi Strike Team, so I guess it's possible.

It's made pretty explicit that the Emperor's one-shotting of you and your fellow Jedi was mental domination, and that your ability to break free of that mental domination has rendered you immune to it. This is why you are forced to take T7 with you into the final confrontation with the Emperor. It is discussed that any of your human companions would be susceptible to his mental domination.

It's also made explicit that he is in a weakened state. When Tol Braga tells you where to find him he states, "I will give you the Emperor's coordinates. Even in his weakened state, you are no match for him."

I don't think there is any inconsistency here at all. It's made very clear why the second confrontation is different.

The mental domination was one of his powers, but in the first confrontation he clearly one shots your entire party via his own power as you can see the force storm he summons with a single gesture. I still don't get why the Emperor was weakened. He didn't do anything himself to those planets he attempted to consume, all he did was send his Imperial lackeys to go mess with things.

The mental domination was one of his powers, but in the first confrontation he clearly one shots your entire party via his own power as you can see the force storm he summons with a single gesture. I still don't get why the Emperor was weakened. He didn't do anything himself to those planets he attempted to consume, all he did was send his Imperial lackeys to go mess with things.

If his force storm had physically overwhelmed everyone, we would have all died. The fact that we were all rendered unconscious suggests that it was a mental assault rather than a physical one. That we woke up completely enslaved by him would seem to back up that assessment.

As far as the weakening goes, he had very recently had his physical form (i.e. The Voice) killed and had just acquired a new one. That was why he was weakened.