Switching to tank from DPS

Bice

Hi, i have been playing Vengeance but a recent trend has been that i have been asked to do tanking in (vet FPs) while its not a big deal as the FPs are not hard. I am growing interest in switching to tanking. With that being said how would i go about switching to tank from vengeance, all the gear that is ever offered to me is always veng gear, but if i switch specs i won't be useful to people seeing as i have dps gear. Is there a way for me to gear up for a tank as a dps?

I’ll assume that your 70 and a sub.

What I’d do is spend a few hundred command tokens on 230 gear, and if you have a stock of unassembled components, get the saber and shield at 236.

For vet mode stuff, I “tank” on my guardian in mostly dps gear, even if I’m in defense spec. Vet modes don’t need a real tank, and the spec will let you keep aggro most of the time. Then as you gear up you can move into MM content.

Another thing to keep in mind: don’t open command crates unless your in defense spec. That will get you tank gear from the crates.

I’ll assume that your 70 and a sub.

What I’d do is spend a few hundred command tokens on 230 gear, and if you have a stock of unassembled components, get the saber and shield at 236.

For vet mode stuff, I “tank” on my guardian in mostly dps gear, even if I’m in defense spec. Vet modes don’t need a real tank, and the spec will let you keep aggro most of the time. Then as you gear up you can move into MM content.

Another thing to keep in mind: don’t open command crates unless your in defense spec. That will get you tank gear from the crates.

Yes i am sorry should if mention. Thanks for the advice i'll follow it, you were very helpful thank you!

Honestly for vet mode FP the best setup is probably 3 dps and a healer, but if you want to learn to tank then the place to start is the 230 gear off the vendor.

Note that the tank set you get off of the vendor will be very high defense. Like even for guardians, you can afford to drop some. I use the high endurance/low def (warding b) mods and high endurance/ high shield/absorb / low def enhancements personally.

It is however, becoming increasingly popular to dump the defense from the mods altogether in favor of the high endurance power mods (lethal b). This helps with dps while maintaining mitigation.

Either of these setups requires a crafter or incredible luck with the cxp crates. For example despite them apparently being a thing now and opening an entire cargo hold bay full of boxes just today, I have yet to see a 248 b mods drop.

Edited by KendraP