SWTOR Certificate Authentication error

republicinator

Was playing SWTOR completely fine last night. Went to bed then woke up in the morning, did regular things around the house and such. Finally got the time to play SWTOR again and came across this error. Thought it was something with my computer since I'm playing on a rather...unorthodox OS. Wiped everything to get a clean slate and still won't work. I only have 19 days left of sub time and I obviously love playing this game. Started playing back in like early 2012 or near the end of 2011 and LOVED the hell out of it. When my sub time ran out, I was sad for a few days (Yes I'm being absolutely serious). Then when I learned it became F2P I jumped right back in and started to enjoy the game again. Then when my old laptop broke, I was again...sad I couldn't play the "amazing" game that is SWTOR. When my sister got her new laptop I bothered her for weeks and even months if I could play it on her laptop. She finally agreed and I started again...lol. Then I came across this OS that can't handle SWTOR on it(not yet anyways) on my new 2k+ $ laptop and desperately looked for ways to play it again. Finally found a program to use to play SWTOR and everything was great besides the random crashes. But now I'm getting this error and don't have much time left to play the game and enjoy all the subscriber features. (If you haven't already guessed, yes I'm on a macOS)

My computer is having the exact same issue and i have been unable to play for 8 days due to it meaning that 8 days of subscription has been lost i haven't found any useful info on how to fix it.

if the issue is still happening then download wine staging the latest version. It now uses windows 7 by default so you should be good. If you use playonmac download the utility from the dev tracker thread and place that in your directory for SWTOR. then run it and you should be back to playing.

if the issue is still happening then download wine staging the latest version. It now uses windows 7 by default so you should be good. If you use playonmac download the utility from the dev tracker thread and place that in your directory for SWTOR. then run it and you should be back to playing.

As a lowly plebeian such as myself, If you wouldn't mind giving me a step by step process of how you got this to work I would much appreciate it.

The following is only a temp solution it will stop in October http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9381980#edit9381980

For MAC OS , I would assume that bootcamp on MAC if running at least WIn 7 needs to update the root certificates.

otherwise temp solution is discussed at

for playonmac

Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Here are the steps to take:

• Restart your computer! This is very important as it ensures that no versions of the launcher are currently running.
  • Download this utility: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2_EOL_xpvista.exe
  • Run the launcher repair utility (note this utility will force your launcher to be on BitRaider, this is mandatory for the fix to work)
  • Once complete, start your launcher and you should now be able to login normally. (If you were on SSN and had to switch to BitRaider you should expect a lengthy verification period. This is normal!)

If this does not work, here are a few things to check:

• If the launcher will not run or you are still receiving the error. Restart your computer and then ensure the launcher is not running in task manager. Then follow the steps above to run the utility..
  • The launcher repair utility will attempt to remove a folder called "patch" from the SWTOR directory. The launcher may not run properly if this delete did not occur. You can try deleting this folder manually and then follow the steps above to run the utility.

This fix will allow your game to continue to run until October. It may run beyond that, but there are no guarantees.

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric

If using WIn 10 for example try using this repair utility at this link

Edited by OwenBrooks

I currently play on mac, I have my firewall disabled currently, so how might I go about doing what you suggest?

Use Play on Mac ?,

suggests some have needed to delete the patch folder before using the old repir utility steps

If using wine staging you need to get the new version

Edited by OwenBrooks