Make the Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice SM more PUG friendly

MrNihulus

While I do enjoy the mechanics for most of the bosses in both these operations. They can be quite punishing for several PUG groups. I have been in many groups where they struggle with Master and Blaster and The Underlurker.

I'm NOT suggesting they nerf the whole Operation to the point where it can be face-rolled through. But I do think they should reduce the damage output of some of the bosses so groups will have an easier time running through the operation. Here's some suggestions.

1. Reduce the Overall Damage of Master and Blaster
  2. Reduce some of the raidwide damage from the Underlurker
  3. Give a warning when Bo-55 does the fire wheel, maybe a red aoe surrounding him so melee players can get out in time
  4. Give players more time to move out of the flame turrets in the Torque fight

The main thing is that most story mode operations are designed to be pugged and some of the fights in Rav and ToS seems on the same level as some of the bosses in Hard Mode ops.

heh you must be new here!

These 2 operations have had the most tweaks in difficulties since their introduction due to similar complains:

The Ravagers

16-Player Story Mode Quartermaster Bulo has been rebalanced:

Reduced the damage of Barrel Throw.

Reduced the damage of Barrage and Mass Barrage.

Load Lifters deal reduced damage.

Load Lifters are less likely to target all the same person.

Load Lifters now target randomly instead of the nearest player.

Load Lifters now avoid targeting the same person multiple times.

Drunken Pirates no longer get multiple “Barrel Carry” buffs during the Quartermaster Bulo encounter.

Torque's “Magnetic Clamps” now has the duration displayed.

Torque’s “Shoots Lasers” Droids now continuously try to attack Repair Droids.

The Repair Droids present during the Torque encounter now have more health in Story Mode

The damage of Torque’s Floor Vents has been reduced for 16-Player Story Mode.

Lowered Torque’s health on 16-Player Story Mode.

Reduced damage done by Quartermaster Bulo in all difficulty modes.

Additonally reduced the damage of Quartermaster Bulo’s Scatter Blaster ability in 16-Player modes.

The visual effect for Torque’s Floor Vents now lasts the full duration of the ability. Additionally, an indicator has been added to assist in differentiating the Floor Vents from player effects.

Temple of Sacrifice

Story Mode Sword Squadron has been rebalanced:

8 and 16-Player:

Reduced the damage of Not So Huge Grenade.

Reduced the damage of Rapid Fire.

Reduced the damage of Ground Burst Missile.

16-Player Only:

Reduced the overall damage of both walkers slightly.

The Underlurker in Temple of Sacrifice will no long rush extremely quickly back to his target after using his Leap ability.

Malaphar the Savage now only uses Frustrated Howl in appropriate situations.

Reduced the health of the Lurkerlings in the Story Mode Underlurker encounter.

Increased time to react to Unstable Aberrations in Revan’s final phase in Hard Mode, and decreased the rate at which they spawn.

Sword Squadron has been reworked:

Reduced damage done in all modes.

The Squadron now utilizes low smoke emitting ammunition, reducing smoke during explosions and increasing visibility.

Further reduced the damage of the Rain of Missiles ability in 16-Player Story Mode.

There is now a 30 second grace period after killing one walker before the other walker enters its enrage phase in Story Mode, this is reduced to 5 seconds in Hard Mode.

This was in a 10 month period. Now do you really want to tell me these operations need nerfs? :)

Edited by merovejec

heh you must be new here!

These 2 operations have had the most tweaks in difficulties since their introduction due to similar complains:

This was in a 10 month period. Now do you really want to tell me these operations need nerfs? :)

Good point, but I still think the Master and Blaster and the Underlurker fights could use a nerf. Those two bosses are still a nightmare for PUGS.

Edited by MrNihulus

My general opinion is that SM Ops should be able to be "brute forced". Following mechanics will make fights much easier, but failing to follow them precisely will not lead to failure overall. I feel like that's the best of both worlds, keeping them PuG-friendly while also allowing them to serve as effective "practice runs" for the real content. This is the case in some Operations, but not others for sure, and I'm all for the nerfing of certain fights to allow for that.

Although I'll also note, I'm pretty okay with the idea of nerfing rewards from Story Mode Operations, too, overall, as a counterbalance to improved playability. So maybe you don't want my support?

Although I'll also note, I'm pretty okay with the idea of nerfing rewards from Story Mode Operations, too, overall, as a counterbalance to improved playability. So maybe you don't want my support?

I actually do think that sounds like a fair trade. The easiest operations that are KP and EV could have nerfed rewards.

Making Temple of Sacrifice more PuG friendly will also give players a better opportunity to see what happens if they finish the operation segment of the "Enemy Within" quest from Shadow of Revan.

Keep nerfing things and we will get to the point where our character moves and attack alone.It is boring to make all content easier.

Before making an operation you should see or read any guide.

I do not have the slightest idea of how are those two operations in hardmode and that's why I do not do them. Some day I will read a guide and just there I will try it.

There is a bolster in SM. If that can not help for kill a boss you should continue making flashpoints to get better equipment.

Keep nerfing things and we will get to the point where our character moves and attack alone.It is boring to make all content easier.

I do not have the slightest idea of how are those two operations in hardmode and that's why I do not do them. Some day I will read a guide and just there I will try it.

There is a bolster in SM. If that can not help for kill a boss you should continue making flashpoints to get better equipment.

Story Mode=To let everyone be able to go through it to know the story.

Especially since they are very old content, and there is no solo mode for ops.

While I do recommend players reading a guide before going into a sm operation it's not completely mandatory since there can be players who will be able to teach the fights. On Hard Mode, it's a different story. It's not always a gearing issue in these operations. Some of these bosses require strong coordination and good execution of mechanics. While I agree it is boring if all content is made easier, making it too challenging can become frustrating.

Most SM ops are designed to be Pugged. If players want more challenge, they can do HM and NiM ops.

True, nerfing isnt the solution, there needs to be more ingame incentive for people to learn how to do operations. It should be a faceroll to get 236 gear.

Now that I think of it, I think the only 2 bosses that really need a nerf from the Operations would be M&B and the Underlurker. The rest of the bosses in the Operations could be left alone. That way the Operation would still be decently challenging without always becoming a wipe-fest for PuGs.