The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Possible KOTOR replacement but from where? Did you see this?

IntegrationArch

From what I've heard about the teething issues of ME:A, a lot of that can be laid at the feet of an engine that was not designed to be used for an RPG. So I'd be a tad surprised to hear about any RPG in development using Frostbite right now, at least not unless they got some handles on those challenges.

What's sad is any Star Wars game would have to be made using Frostbite. EA's standardized the use of the engine, for some silly reason.

The Prequel films started that nonsense with it being Anakin's home planet, something that made Obi Wan later hiding out there fairly ridiculous.

I don't think the explanation for Obi-Wan using Tatooine is entirely ridiculous, even if it being a different planet would have made a bit more sense.

Vader wasn't aware he had a son until after A New Hope (established in the Darth Vader comics, and a few other sources, I believe.) On top of that, Anakin detested the planet. It's not like he was nostalgic for Tatooine or anything. Why would Anakin/Vader come back?

I don't think the explanation for Obi-Wan using Tatooine is entirely ridiculous, even if it being a different planet would have made a bit more sense.

Vader wasn't aware he had a son until after A New Hope (established in the Darth Vader comics, and a few other sources, I believe.) On top of that, Anakin detested the planet. It's not like he was nostalgic for Tatooine or anything. Why would Anakin/Vader come back?

Obi-Wan and all remaining Jedi's went into hiding galaxy-wide. Obi-Wan was asked by the Jedi Order to protect Luke Skywalker as he grew up on Tatooine primarily because it was so remote and the Empire had not reached it yet for several years until Luke was much older. Hoth was also so remote it was only found out there was a Rebel base when they sent the black imp hover probes to search.

Edited by IntegrationArch

What's sad is any Star Wars game would have to be made using Frostbite. EA's standardized the use of the engine, for some silly reason.

Exactly the opposite. Frostbite supports DX11/DX12 and now Dolby Vision at 4K native resolution. The engine can do anything you want at higher frame rates. Their could be 100 games not that use it like Battlefront and II. Ultra realistic people and super high frame rates. It shows fire buring and explosions much more real with high dynamic range and color grading. it supports so many platforms PC/PC64/MAC/ios/aos/xbox(all)/PS3/4/5 etc. It allows the game to use all hyperthreaded PC and GPU cores instead of just one. Many steam RP and shooter games are Frostbite.

Frostbite will support 5K. Also Mantle and Vulkan. Look back in this forum since 2013 the players wanted it.

Tatooine has a population of 200,000 people in a galaxy of trillions. Yet every galaxy wide story ends up there and most seem to avoid Coruscant. Makes no sense.

It was good enough for the Mofference to consider it as a potential new home for the Empire :D:

"We will need a new, secret home base," said Trioculous [...]

"I suggest the planet Tatooine," said Grand Moff Dunhausen[...] "We can take over the Mos Eisley spaceport!"[...]

"Bespin!" said Grand Moff Thistlebloom[...] "Let's take over Cloud City!"[...]

"Dagobah?" offered the grand admiral from Gargon.[...]

"Hoth?" Grand Moff Hissa said hesitantly.

Exactly the opposite. Frostbite supports DX11/DX12 and now Dolby Vision at 4K native resolution. The engine can do anything you want at higher frame rates. Their could be 100 games not that use it like Battlefront and II. Ultra realistic people and super high frame rates. It shows fire buring and explosions much more real with high dynamic range and color grading. it supports so many platforms PC/PC64/MAC/ios/aos/xbox(all)/PS3/4/5 etc. It allows the game to use all hyperthreaded PC and GPU cores instead of just one. Many steam RP and shooter games are Frostbite.

Frostbite will support 5K. Also Mantle and Vulkan. Look back in this forum since 2013 the players wanted it.

The raw performance of the engine is not why ME:A had problems - it was built and tuned as an engine for FPS; the fundamentals needed for a Bioware RPG were not present and had to be grafted on. Such as a robust character generation and advancement system, and a conversation system. An engine is more than the graphics.

BW ca unit did the ME:A good/bad/ugly and for them at the time it was a new engine but now just look at Battlefront as they wrapped in all the lessons learned. Many other games are optimized too like ES

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/301320/Opinion_A_requiem_for_Mass_Effect_Andromeda.php

That led me to the article I was thinking of:

Developed by the EA-owned studio DICE, Frostbite is capable of rendering gorgeous graphics and visual effects, but when BioWare first started using it, in 2011, it had never been used to make role-playing games. DICE made first-person shooters like Battlefield, and the Frostbite engine was designed solely to develop those games. When BioWare first got its hands on Frostbite, the engine wasn’t capable of performing the basic functions you’d expect from a role-playing game, like managing party members or keeping track of a player’s inventory. BioWare’s coders had to build almost everything from scratch.

By the time BioWare entered pre-production on Mass Effect: Andromeda, the Dragon Age: Inquisition team had built some of the tools that they’d need to make an RPG, but not all of them. Engineers on Andromeda had to design many of their own features from scratch, including their animation rig. “Frostbite is wonderful for rendering and lots of things,” said a person who worked on the game. “But one of the key things that makes it really difficult to use is anything related to animation. Because out of the box, it doesn’t have an animation system.” (Frostbite was later attached to an animation system called ANT, that source said, but it was full of “duct-taped issues.”)

While describing Frostbite, one top developer on Mass Effect: Andromeda used the analogy of an automobile. Epic’s Unreal Engine, that developer said, is like an SUV, capable of doing lots of things but unable to go at crazy high speeds. The Unity Engine would be a compact car: small, weak, and easy to fit anyplace you’d like. “Frostbite,” the developer said, “is a sports car. Not even a sports car, a Formula 1. When it does something well, it does it extremely well. When it doesn’t do something, it really doesn’t do something.

“Whenever you’re trying to do something that fits the engine—vehicles, for example—Frostbite handles that extremely well,” the developer said. “But when you’re building something that the engine is not made for, this is where it becomes difficult.” Designing the large maps of Andromeda’s planets became a struggle on Frostbite, where the maximum size of a map was initially 100 by 100 kilometers. The Andromeda team needed their maps to be way bigger than that. Other struggles included the streaming system, the save system, and various action-RPG mechanics that Andromeda needed in order to work.

Various emphases mine. An engine is more than the front-end, though as we've seen with the various graphics issues that are stubbornly uneradicated in SWTOR, that's kind of important as well...

Frostbite 3 dx12 dolby vision has several revisions of improvements since that discussion.

The key is the closer to the hardware the game code is the better the game looks and plays. Utilities may be better in other engines but the experience and immersion is worth it. MSFT has s PIX debugger optimizer to polish frame rates and there are many other tools for devs.

For example Anthem will have a non combat fleet for gearing like SWTOR has, currently Battlefront does not have this. It's not perfect but better than legacy HeroEngine dx9 branch given all the other console and pc advancements. .

• 3 weeks later...