The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An old republic series/movie(s)?

MasterKyral

I was wandering, the old republic has much to talk about,and much to explain, they could make an old republic series like for example the clone wars or maybe a saga of the old republic, it would be awesome from my point of view since it shows more or less how the sith and jedi developed and it also shows how the republic began, and how it was so well supported.

I believe this could make a great addition to the universe of the old republic, wouldn't mind watching it too :D

I believe there has been a petition going on for years now about that. Lucasfilm might do something like that in the future to expand canon's Old Republic Era but I'm not they'd do it for legends continuity. One can hope though.

I believe there has been a petition going on for years now about that. Lucasfilm might do something like that in the future to expand canon's Old Republic Era but I'm not they'd do it for legends continuity. One can hope though.

I believe a series would be best fit for the old republic, but I doubt lucasfilm or disney will even think to do one, and if they end up doing one, it will be like the 2003 clone wars series, in which chapters were 2 or 3 minutes of jedi just waving their sabers around and anakin speaking with a depressed urchin tone.

If they do do something it'll be after their done with the current trilogy and set of anthology films

Not very optimistic though. And it certainly won't be what we know in legends, it'll be a new story, or a completely new telling of an old story who is in canon (eg. Darth Bane)

The problem is that "The Old Republic" does not have Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Wedge, Thrawn, Maul, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda, Artoo, C-3P0, or anyone else from the OT and PT. Therefore the majority of Star Wars fans have barely heard of The Old Republic let alone care about any events that happen therein. A movie or series would only cater to those who play video games and/or read Star Wars books. And you'd probably be surprised how few Star Wars fans in fact read Star Wars books and/or play Star Wars Video games. There have been no direct references to TOR in canonical movie or TV series.

They get close in:

1. TCW "season 6" and Darth Bane.
  2. and at the end of Season 2 of Rebels with Moribaan

To the average fan:

1. a REALLY old Sith Lord that implemented the Rule of Two that Yoda states in TPM "Always two there are....no more no less"
  2. and a REALLY old battlefield where many Jedi and Sith were destroyed.

The problem is that "The Old Republic" does not have Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Wedge, Thrawn, Maul, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda, Artoo, C-3P0, or anyone else from the OT and PT. Therefore the majority of Star Wars fans have barely heard of The Old Republic let alone care about any events that happen therein. A movie or series would only cater to those who play video games and/or read Star Wars books. And you'd probably be surprised how few Star Wars fans in fact read Star Wars books and/or play Star Wars Video games. There have been no direct references to TOR in canonical movie or TV series.

They get close in:

1. TCW "season 6" and Darth Bane.
  2. and at the end of Season 2 of Rebels with Moribaan

To the average fan:

1. a REALLY old Sith Lord that implemented the Rule of Two that Yoda states in TPM "Always two there are....no more no less"
  2. and a REALLY old battlefield where many Jedi and Sith were destroyed.

To be fair, no one heard about Jyn Erso and co. before Rogue One.

The connective characters between it and ANH play minor roles (Mon Mothma and co.)

They built almost an entire story based on a few bits of dialog and implication in ANH. While doing Revan would be hard, Darth Bane would be quite doable (though it would probably be quite different than Karpyshyn's book)

All that is really required is to make a good story, make it consistent and slap the Star Wars label on it.

Not that I think they will do it but it wouldn't really be that problematic.

To be fair, no one heard about Jyn Erso and co. before Rogue One.

The connective characters between it and ANH play minor roles (Mon Mothma and co.)

They built almost an entire story based on a few bits of dialog and implication in ANH. While doing Revan would be hard, Darth Bane would be quite doable (though it would probably be quite different than Karpyshyn's book)

All that is really required is to make a good story, make it consistent and slap the Star Wars label on it.

Not that I think they will do it but it wouldn't really be that problematic.

At least Rogue One had some basis in the OT: Rebel spies stole the Death Star plans. You're right that it did not matter that the characters and places were unknown, because there was zero material in legends or canon describing those events....until Rogue One.

So, where would any screenwriters get any inkling of what TOR is like? The only line from the movies is: "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic..." KOTOR and KOTOR2 and SWTOR take that ONE line and made a series of games based on it.

Now let me ask you this... How many TOR fans would be OUTRAGED if the entirety of KOTOR, KOTOR2 and SWTOR had zero impact on that movie/series but that movie/series took place in the time period of these games? Right now, these video game stories fall into the "legends" category that Disney put in place, but the funny thing about legends in general is that there is usually a grain of truth in them. And since there is no canon material for this time frame, there is nothing to say that the stories we enjoy did not happen. As soon as a movie or series comes into play all of what we want to believe is canon will be obliterated. Do you really want that?

Edited by psandak

At least Rogue One had some basis in the OT: Rebel spies stole the Death Star plans. You're right that it did not matter that the characters and places were unknown, because there was zero material in legends or canon describing those events....until Rogue One.

So, where would any screenwriters get any inkling of what TOR is like? The only line from the movies is: "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic..." KOTOR and KOTOR2 and SWTOR take that ONE line and made a series of games based on it.

Now let me ask you this... How many TOR fans would be OUTRAGED if the entirety of KOTOR, KOTOR2 and SWTOR had zero impact on that movie/series but that movie/series took place in the time period of these games? Right now, these video game stories fall into the "legends" category that Disney put in place, but the funny thing about legends in general is that there is usually a grain of truth in them. And since there is no canon material for this time frame, there is nothing to say that the stories we enjoy did not happen. As soon as a movie or series comes into play all of what we want to believe is canon will be obliterated. Do you really want that?

Screenwriters can do research (TCW/Rebels proves that). Not that they need to be bound strictly by any of it (Moraband proves that)

And yes, doing it in the KOTOR/SWTOR timeline would be problematic for all sorts of reasons, as already stated. If (big if) they were to do something, it would almost for sure be Darth Bane era, or totally independent.

Darth Bane was also created by George Lucas back before TPM and (and very nearly appeared in the Mortis arc in TCW along with Revan), and so it is quite likely that there is quite a bit of notes, concept art and other stuff that screenwriters could make use of.

And it's already been obliterated. Disney effectively formatted the hard drive. While until they write over that part of history (like the did with TFA), there is some small hope of recovery, it is unlikely Disney will do so. We simply need to accept and enjoy our legends.