The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does Anyone Remember Clone Wars (2003)?

For some reason this recently popped into my head, and I got curious about it. I was a little kid when the first clone wars series came out, and I really only saw commercials for it, and saw episode III in theaters ( and thought it was awesome, I thought so when I was little and stand by it), then forgot about it for a while. Later on I got DVDs of the entire series and watched it, but forgot about it for a while and couldn't find the DVDs. So I tried to look it up, and it seems as though it almost never existed. It's not on any streaming service (not even Amazon Video), and officially it's been lost to time. However, I was able to find it in its entirety on YouTube, and I implore anyone who hasn't seen into watch it.

The series was really good IMO. It's story was pretty shallow, but it was more of a spectacle than a plot-driven series. It really went with the philosophy of showing vs telling. Plus it had a Samurai Jack artstyle. The action was top notch, showing the full extent of what Jedi can do. People who complain that the feats of force strength in this game outclasses the movies should check the series out, for it conveys how awesome Jedi like Windu and Yoda actually are. It also bridges some gaps between episodes II and III, primarily introducing grevious (who was WAAAAY cooler in the show than episode III or the newer series), and shows the how the chancellor was kidnapped.

It's unfortunate that the series was completely retconned, and while I understand that even cherry-picking events in it to be canon would be a mess, I can't help but be a little saddened that fans today are missing out on one of the best things (IMO) to come out of the prequels. A series which was about action and adventure that didn't have four episode long plots about things like the "D-Squad" or the padawans getting their crystals and an additional three more uneccessary adventures. I'm not saying the 2003 series was better, just different, and a good kind of different at that is worth checking out. The whole thing is only two hours and it's all on YouTube, so if you have the time and are interested it will be well worth it.

I watched it all last week because I'd been meaning to catch up on that kind of stuff for a while (for some reason I couldn't stand the thought of animated Star Wars as a child - go figure). It is great and I loved it. I think the bit that stood out the most for me was the whole Anakin-ghost hand in the cave sequence. The way they showed the transition via cave paintings was so cool.

I got shunned by one of my friends for not having watched the Clone Wars movie. I understand it's the later type with 3D animations (which I hated even more as a kid), but is it any good? Appears to have an abysmal rating online, so warn me if it's terrible before I go out and rent it :p

I watched it all last week because I'd been meaning to catch up on that kind of stuff for a while (for some reason I couldn't stand the thought of animated Star Wars as a child - go figure). It is great and I loved it. I think the bit that stood out the most for me was the whole Anakin-ghost hand in the cave sequence. The way they showed the transition via cave paintings was so cool.

I got shunned by one of my friends for not having watched the Clone Wars movie. I understand it's the later type with 3D animations (which I hated even more as a kid), but is it any good? Appears to have an abysmal rating online, so warn me if it's terrible before I go out and rent it :p

It's... Bleh. Too much focus on appealing to the younger audience, and the plot progression can make you groan at times. Honestly you can skip straight to the series knowing only that Anakin got a padawan, and that's really it besides some minor things. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's offensive or detrimental to the series, but it's pretty forgettable. The show is pretty hit or miss in my eyes, having some great stories and some pretty aweful ones (primarily in the later seasons), and it has the problem of extending stories into 3-4 parters in the later seasons. But overall I give it a thumbs up.

It's... Bleh. Too much focus on appealing to the younger audience, and the plot progression can make you groan at times. Honestly you can skip straight to the series knowing only that Anakin got a padawan, and that's really it besides some minor things. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's offensive or detrimental to the series, but it's pretty forgettable. The show is pretty hit or miss in my eyes, having some great stories and some pretty aweful ones (primarily in the later seasons), and it has the problem of extending stories into 3-4 parters in the later seasons. But overall I give it a thumbs up.

Ah, fair enough. Sounds like I'll give it a miss unless it pops up on Netflix or something. My housemate can carry on shunning me :D (something tells me when they said it was one of the best things ever, they may have been viewing it through rose-tinted specs).

Edit: Also thought I'd add that the ARC troopers soundtrack was one of my favourite things in the 2003 series :)

Edited by Myddelion

Ah, fair enough. Sounds like I'll give it a miss unless it pops up on Netflix or something. My housemate can carry on shunning me :D (something tells me when they said it was one of the best things ever, they may have been viewing it through rose-tinted specs).

Edit: Also thought I'd add that the ARC troopers soundtrack was one of my favourite things in the 2003 series :)

It is on Netflix ATM, as well as the entire series until the 7th. Hope you enjoy it! :)

I watched it last year through YouTube, funny thing is there was even Brazilian Portuguese dub for it and I never heard about it before other fans of the series talked about it in a facebook group I was part of. Edited by FlameYOL

YES!

I watched them all as they aired on television way back.

I remember being very disappointed when I saw that the new Clone Wars series was going CG instead of using the Samurai Jack-style animation. Tbh Im still not entirely onboard with the CG stuff, but at least its improving some.

is it the one where Obi-wan used telekenisis to deflect blaster fire and Ventress Dueled Anakin on Yavin 4 and Mace Dismantled Droids with his hands? and Dooku Levitated?

That's the one (unless they happen to do the same in the CGI version).