The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where we came from

oukailian

So I was just thinking. Through all the updates and media outlets, we can see with relative ease what titles, abilities, and command we garner or will receive with the furthering advancement of our characters. One question came to mind however. Where did we come from? Obviously if we play a Cathar then we would reasonably come from the planet Cathar. The same being that our character could be from Csilla if we choose to be Chiss.

Now the thought occurred to me: what if we had a small update regarding our origins? After all, I am certain our characters would be tired from the constant conflict almost as much as we the players are somewhat tired of constant battles and tensions. Having a small diversion in the story, I believe, would be not only a welcomed respite from the ever constant toiling as Alliance Commander, but would also help us connect with our character and chosen species as a whole.

For example, in the Imperial Sniper/Operative, we have a choice saying to say we were captured by the Empire and thus pressed into Imperial Intelligence. Our Jedi Knight is given the opportunity to dream of retiring from the Jedi Order and becoming a farmer or a street-vendor. The Sith Inquisitor has the opportunity to talk about a portion of his heritage with his long-lost ancestor Kallig. Many more examples are offered through the game.

I realize that the probability of seeing an origins update is rather low, but I think it would bring fresh thought and blood into the actual value of choosing any such species. In the event that we are still acting as Alliance Commander, we could have our character's family or relatives suddenly appear and claim to be his/her parents. After all, would it not be ideal for a parent or grandparent to (un)happily meet their long lost descendant as well? This could open many more doors for the characters and stories we so devotedly spend our time with.

For example, it could give us a more, if you pardon the expression, human feel toward the Commander if we and the companions could see just what we were like as a child or teenager. The relatives could tell entertaining stories in the Alliance Cantina or advise the Commander on what should be done. If we, the players, choose to be the Emperor of the Eternal Throne, we could have the option to erase the surprise guests thus removing any chance of having our own history made public. We could come from humble moisture farmers on Tatooine or the Aristocra of Csilla. We could hail from the noble houses of Alderaan or from the oppressive rule of the Hutt Cartel. If our parents were enslaved on Nar Shadaa or Dromund Kaas, we could pay to liberate them or strike them down for fleeing their masters. So much possibility; so much opportunity.

I apologize for the long, dull read. I just wanted to throw in my humble opinion; I realize that the writers and designers are already busy with the next updates and such, and will probably not do something this...unnecessary. I wonder what other players think about this? Am I the only one? Could this actually be possible?

All in all, I think it would rather delightful to see just where we came from since for several chapters we already know where we are going.

We could definitely see more references to our past in the future chapters, who knows. I hadn't been called a force walker since act III of Inquisitor and there it was in KOTET, but in regards to the past-past(before the game even starts for us) that's up to your RP mind to create a proper backstory. That being said I would've enjoyed an option similar to ME1 where you could choose some aspects of your past before starting the game.

I'd rather be able to leave that in *my* head rather than in theirs. It's my character, so it's my backstory to tell.

Also: the number of different backstories would be a bit epic: one per combination of class and species and sex. Red and brown Zabraks would have to be treated differently - why did this red Zab end up being a Jedi, and similar conundra. Cyborgs would be similar to humans, but ought to include some kind of explanation of the injury or whatever that left them with whatever cyborgishness they have.

Best to leave it as the player's imagination.

I'd rather be able to leave that in *my* head rather than in theirs. It's my character, so it's my backstory to tell.

Also: the number of different backstories would be a bit epic: one per combination of class and species and sex. Red and brown Zabraks would have to be treated differently - why did this red Zab end up being a Jedi, and similar conundra. Cyborgs would be similar to humans, but ought to include some kind of explanation of the injury or whatever that left them with whatever cyborgishness they have.

Best to leave it as the player's imagination.

This +100000000000000000000000000 I don't want Bioware telling me where my character came from. I can do that myself, thank you.