How do I follow the story from 1-65?

Mashugana

What are the major story arcs between Chapter 3 and KotFE? Which can I skip if I just want the main story?

I am leveling a Sith Warrior and I want to see the entire story leading up to the KotFE and KotET expansions. Chapters 1-3 seem straightforward - I follow my Sith story and then do the Planet and Flash point stories as I go for fun. The it gets confusing.

My guess is that some of the content was released way back when to give us something fun to do but was not central to the big story line. I'm not sure if I need to do Illum, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, etc. before I go to the KotFE expansion. I think Revan and Ziost are central to the story but I am not sure where they fit.

What are the big stories to play through after Chapter 3 and before I hit KoTFE? The Hutt Cartel might be a cool story, but if it can be skipped as a side story I'd like to follow the Empire/Valkorian arc. Its fun :)

Thanks for any advice.

PS: Due to the XP boost my level uis not an issue. I have not finished Chapter 1 yet and I am level 62 :)

What are the major story arcs between Chapter 3 and KotFE? Which can I skip if I just want the main story?

After you finish Chapter 3, you get a breadcrumb mission to go to the Fleet and talk to a guy there. He will give you the Ilum mission.

After you finish Ilum, including the two flashpoints (both have a solo mode), you can do the Rise of the Hutt Cartel story (takes place on Makeb and consequently is often called "doing Makeb") - this is one version for the Empire, one for the Republic.

After Makeb is Oricon. This is troublesome, as the full Oricion story requires you to do two operations.

After you finish that, you can do Prelude to Revan, also known as Forged Alliances. There's a breadcrumb left somewhere, perhaps on the mission terminal in your ship. This is four flashpoints linked by a cinematic-based story, and is the first time your character meets Lana Beniko and Theron Shan. As on Ilum, the flashpoints have a solo mode.

Straight after Forged Alliances, you do the full Shadow of Revan stuff. This happens on Rishi and Yavin IV (yes, *that* Yavin IV, the one that was menaced by the Death Star in Episode IV), and ends with your choice of an operation or a solo fight. It's mostly the same story for everyone, except for one mission in the middle of Rishi that is different for each base class.

Shadow of Revan leads naturally to Rise of the Emperor, better known by the location of the story, Ziost. I recommend doing this on at least one character, because it gives a bunch of backstory that explains what the various NPCs in the KotFE cast are arguing about, especially during Chapters V to VIII.

And after Ziost, off you go to KotFE.

EDIT: corrective. I said Oricon is after Ilum. It's after Makeb. Fixed up above.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Here's a list of all the post-Class Story storylines, based on the chronological order that max-level content was released (which seems to track the in-universe progression).

The Cold War and the Start of the Second Great Galactic War

• Class & Planetary Quests up through Corellia and the end of your Class Story plus Flashpoints as they become available (all Flashpoints have one-time quests that can be picked up on Fleet as soon as you hit the level for that Flashpoint and most of these quests can also be picked up on the level-appropriate planets)

Ilum and the New Empire

• Ilum Planetary Quests (starts with quest you should receive automatically once you finish your Class Story)
  • Battle of Ilum Flashpoint (continuing the Ilum quest line) [now available in solo-mode]
  • The False Emperor Flashpoint (concluding the Ilum quest line) [now available in solo-mode]

The Return of the Infernal One

• Eternity Vault Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)

Prelude to the Hutt Cartel Conflict

• Karagga's Palace Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [briefly foreshadows The Dread War storyline.]

The Rakghoul Plague Outbreak

• Kaon Under Siege Flashpoint (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)
  • The Lost Island Flashpoint (concluding the one-time quest that started with Kaon)

The Black Hole Crisis

• Black Hole Daily Area (previously there was a one-time quest picked up on Fleet to start the progression, now I believe you just have to go there via your ship or the priority terminal on the fleet)

The Dread War Begins

• Explosive Conflict Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet)
  • Terror From Beyond Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [because this Operation has been adjusted to max level it's worth noting that nothing is glaringly out of order if you do this after Makeb, but it should be done before Scum and Villainy]
  • Section X Daily Area (previously there was a one-time quest picked up on Fleet to start the progression, now I believe you just have to go there via your ship or the priority terminal on the fleet)
  • HK-51 Quest Line (starts with quest picked up in Section X)

Conflict with the Hutt Cartel

• Scum and Villainy Operation (one-time quest picked up on Fleet) [because it is a level 55 operation, this is something you'll probably end up running after Makeb. Other than a single line of dialogue on the Republic one-time quest (response to "But their leader is dead!" dialogue option), nothing is badly out of place if you do this content after Makeb. This Operation also ties in to The Dread War storyline and should definitely be run if you want to experience that full story.]
  • Makeb Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up on your ship's holo-terminal)
  • Shroud (Macrobinoculars) and Seeds of Rage (Seeker Droid) Quest Lines (each starts with a quest that can either be picked up on Makeb at around the halfway point of the planetary quest line, or on the Fleet once you hit level 52)[seeds of Rage questline also ties in to The Dread War storyline, should definitely be run if you want to experience that full story]

The Fall of Czerka

• CZ-198 Daily Area (one-time quest picked up on Fleet starts the progression)
  • Czerka Corporate Labs Flashpoint (continuing the CZ-198 one-time quest)
  • Czerka Core Meltdown Flashpoint (concluding the CZ-198 one-time quest)

The Dread War Ends

• Oricon Planetary Quest Chain (starts with quest that can be picked up either on Fleet or CZ-198)
  • Dread Fortress Operation (continuing the Oricon quest line)
  • Dread Palace Operation (concluding the Oricon quest line)

Forged Alliances

• Assault on Tython and Korriban Incursion Flashpoints (order is determined based on your faction, one-time quest picked up on fleet)
  • Depths of Manaan Flashpoint (quest to continue the progression picked up on fleet from same droid who gave part I)
  • Rakata Prime Flashpoint (quest to continure the progression picked up on fleet from same droid who gave parts I and II)

Shadow of Revan

• Rishi Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up from Forged Alliances Droid on Fleet or from terminal on your Ship)
  • Blood Hunt Flashpoint (Rishi Quest Line directs you to it)
  • Battle of Rishi Flashpoint (Rishi Quest Line directs you to it)
  • Yavin IV Planetary Quest Line and Daily Area
  • Temple of Sacrifice Operation (one of two options for how to finish the Yavin IV Quest Line)
  • Ravagers Operation (one-time quest outside the Operation entrance on Rishi) [separate from main quest line with stand-alone plot, can be done anytime after you hit 60 and have been to Rishi]

Rise of the Emperor

• Ziost Planetary Quest Line (starts with quest picked up on fleet)
  • Ziost Daily Area (planetary quest line leads into it)

Knights of the Fallen Empire

• Quest Line [Chapters 1-16] (starts with quest picked up on your ship)
  • Star Fortress Flashpoints (pick up mission at Onderon base after Chapter 9 of the on-going quest line)
  • Recruitment Missions (become available from your Alliance menu after Chapter 9 of the on-going quest line)

Knights of the Eternal Throne

• Quest Line [Chapters 1-9]
  • Uprisings (available from the Galactic Command interface)

The Traitor

• Iokath Planetary Quest Line and Daily Area
  • Gods from the Machine Operation
  • Crisis on Umbara Flashpoint
  • A Traitor Among the Chiss Flashpoint
  • The Nathema Conspiracy Flashpoint [Coming in April with Update 5.9]

With 4.0, the 'breadcrumb' missions to the Black Hole and to Section X seem to have been pruned out as part of the 'streamlining' they did. All the missions in both areas are still there though, so you can still complete those and can still get HK-51 in SecX, you just have to head to the areas directly instead of picking up the "go there" mission from the Fleet.

Edited by DarthDymond

Add my thanks to you and DarthDymond. Been away for a while and this will be a big help. Wouldn't want to miss anything by doing something in the wrong order.

After joining in Sept of '11 and staying in for a few years, left, came back for a year or so, left again, now back again... It's the story and music that bring me back... :)

Seems I read on another post that you're limited to one character (or one char per side?) at some points for some stories... (seemed confusing) and I gather that at some point i lose my companions...? (What's that all about?)

I"ve got one of each class (and in two classes, two, to get both flavors), between 50 and 55. Anything I need to take into consideration before I start back in?

Edited by RazzellDazzell
Add-on

Seems I read on another post that you're limited to one character (or one char per side?) at some points for some stories... (seemed confusing) and I gather that at some point i lose my companions...? (What's that all about?)

There is one *story* in Forged Alliances / Shadow of Revan / Rise of the Emperor / KotFE / KotET, but all your characters can do it. Makeb is one story per side, but again all your Imp characters can do the Imp story and all your Republic characters can do the Republic story.

And yes, you leave your class and faction companions behind at the beginning of KofFE, and they(1) come back gradually during KotFE and the side stories, plus a bunch of others. (Everyone gets the same list available, except for M1-4X - Republic only - and Lt Pierce - Empire only.)

(1) Well, not all of them, yet. Two in particular are problematic from a story point of view: Khem Val and Jaesa Wilsaam. (Also: Jaesa's voice actress is, apparently, very busy and consequently has limited availability. This isn't a problem for Khem - just have him say "Mizenbama" a few more times than you'd expect, and they already have recordings of that.)