Jedi Sentinel [Combat Spec] - A sue do guide

Scythus

Hello all, I've been reading all of the forums posts on the issues you all are having with this class. I'll start off by saying this is the most challenging melee DPS class I have ever played and I'm having a blast with it. It is fun to find out what works and what doesn't to try to maximize damage output while maintaining survivability. Well, I decided I wanted to through up a little info that may help you guys for combat spec'd Sentinels. I am only level 37 right now so I don't even have all my abilities, but for now I will throw down what does work.

Talents

The skill tree: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501ZGGMdddzorz.1

Keep in mind that I'm only level 37, so this build is only to that point as I have not decided where I want to put the other points when I obtain them.

Fleetfooted- I did not spec into this yet because I chose other talents first that would help me in not only PvP, but PvE as well. It may become part of my final talents at some point.

Temperance- ATM, I only decided on one point. I may choose another at some point, but at this time it is not a priority as I build enough Centering during fights.

Zealous Strike- It cools down fast enough for me with only 1 point, not a priority to put 2 in.

Debilitation- I chose to get this maxed before Saber Storm due to PvP priority. Master Strike is a big hitting ability and getting a 100% immobilization is key as early as possible.

I am filling my combat tree before anything else first because that is my main spec, the other trees will see points as I see necessary. It is all about what is used the most and how to maximize my spec and sue do rotation.

Form

No question, this is Ataru Form

Rotations

2-4 mobs, Elites- As always, start with Force Leap, throw on your Rebuke while in mid-air to get your damage reduction going, this is key to surviving more than 2 mobs at the same time. Hold off on Force Sweep until the targets are in proximity to hit more than 1 mob.

Hit Zealous Strike to build your 6 focus and start focusing targets down. Use your hardest hitters first [iE: Precision Strike, Blade Storm]. When around 2-3 focus, use your Slash ability then spam Strike to build up 4-6 more focus while your PS and BS are on CD.

Master strike and Force Stasis need only to be used on Elites and above.

In between fights, if you do not have Doc yet, then go ahead and do a quick Introspection, there is nothing wrong with keeping yourself at maximum health before the next fight. It's all about survivability.

Gold mobs- The rotation has a few differences. If the mob is surrounded by normal mobs, focus them down first with the rotations above as they will become a pain while you are focusing down the Boss, Champion, etc. Once you are on the Boss, hit your Master Strike and Force Stasis right off the start, then go into your Zealous Strike and go on with the same rotation as above. Hit your Saber Ward if you feel you need it going into the fight, you can also hit this in mid air during a Force Leap.

Interrupts are part of all of these mobs, they are a big deal for us, make sure that you use them as often as possible, especially on elites of any kind.

Action Bars

The best I have found to set this up whether you are a "clicker" or "hot key" player is to assign your focus spending abilities on the bottom bar in an order of priority and focus cost. It makes it easier to see your focus and upcoming abilities during GCD knowing what you will most likely be able to use. I also put my channeled abilities and Riposte on the top bar as they are not used as often as my focus spenders. My Saber Ward and Call of the Force are on the bottom row but at the end of the action bar directly under my medpacs. This is my "Oh crap" section of the action bar so everything is together. My buffs are all on the left action bar with my speeder and other various keys.

I do not have cauterize on my action bar, nor is it a part of my rotation. It does not do enough damage for this spec and I have other abilities I would rather use. I also do not keep pommel strike on my action bars as that just does not pop up enough and just takes up space.

This is in no way perfect, I'm sure there will be numerous flaws people will see with this but it has worked for me and can help those of you that feel lost in this spec or class. Any helpful suggestions are always welcomed. I hope this will help some of you out on your travels. I know I probably forgot about somethings as I have never written a guide of any kind but take from this what you can.

Edited by Scythus

Debilitation is bugged in pvp. Still great talent when it works.

Go 2/2 in Righteus Zeal. Get 2/2 Displacement, its great for pvp.

Defensive roll and Temperance are situational talents, not worth it imo.

As for rotation BS and MS are your hardest hitters.

Not using MS for normal mobs is ridiculous since it has a very short cd. Use BS and MS after PS for maximum effect (usually this means 2 dead normal mobs or close to it).

Cauterize is a very good ability for Combat since its only two focus and its total damage is similar to Slash. Not worth using on normal mobs since they wont be alive long enough for the dot to run its course but for bosses/elites/pvp it's great. DPS will come down to damage per focus as focus generators don't hit very hard.

Blade rush replaces Slash in every situation as far as I can tell.

From the way you describe your action bar layout I get the feeling you're a clicker. That is incredibly bad for melee especially since that pretty much makes you a keyboard turner as well. Try practicing binding everything and unbind turn left right and backpedal. Strafe everywhere. A good melee player will not get hit (not ever once) by a keyboard turner if lag is good. You might get away with clicking as a range or a healer in pve (still will have trouble in pvp) but as a melee you can't do it if you want to be successful.

Also after you get Doc the questing becomes incredibly dull as it's almost impossible to die doing normal quests.

Edited by Draecon