Story advice

Cuiwe

Hi. I need a few advices for characters and their story:

1. What do you think fits the Inquisitor best? Imo, an Inq is a type of person that prefers to use EVERYTHING in his grasp. What this means to me is, pretty much instantly, a Hatred Assassin. But there is some dissonance between a character and his story imo. The story is more of a Corruption / Madness Sorcerer thing, but the character definitely fits the (Hatred) Assassin more. Any advices here?

2. I'm looking for nice Leather outfits for my Dantooine inspired JK. Currently I've Outer Rim Gunslinger's Jacket + Exalted Sentinel legs + Drelliad Gloves(tbh I'd prefer if Guardian's Renowned / Apprentice Boots had a matching pair of Gauntlets...meh). Anything better? Ex.Sent isn't really the best, but it's looking good and helluva good in a Color Match to ORG's Brown color. But could be better imo. You know, 98% could always be 100%... ;)

Edited by Cuiwe

Hi. I need a few advices for characters and their story:

1. What do you think fits the Inquisitor best? Imo, an Inq is a type of person that prefers to use EVERYTHING in his grasp. What this means to me is, pretty much instantly, a Hatred Assassin. But there is some dissonance between a character and his story imo. The story is more of a Corruption / Madness Sorcerer thing, but the character definitely fits the (Hatred) Assassin more. Any advices here?

Bloodthirsty Maniac. Sadly, that's not a spec, but if it was, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I like Lightning Sorc. The very first Dark points you can earn as proper mission rewards are earned for zapping a prisoner with lightning, and lightning comes up in many conversations afterwards.(1)

(1) Notably one on Belsavis where the "murder and mayhem await" / "Just ... show me where the fun is" type response is accompanied by flickers of lightning around the Inq's body.

Bloodthirsty Maniac. Sadly, that's not a spec, but if it was, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I like Lightning Sorc. The very first Dark points you can earn as proper mission rewards are earned for zapping a prisoner with lightning, and lightning comes up in many conversations afterwards.(1)

(1) Notably one on Belsavis where the "murder and mayhem await" / "Just ... show me where the fun is" type response is accompanied by flickers of lightning around the Inq's body.

Oh yes, they removed the F.Ltng from Assassins. Quite forgot about that stupid change. Prior to 5,0 the Hatred Assassin(look, you could F.Ltng as a filler, just not in places where every last drop of dps was needed-but then again, you wouldn't use Hatred in such places to begin with) would be the logical choice(Access to all manifestations of Force-Lightning included!, use of tools like stealth and the blade...). Now, most probably Sorcerer, yeah. I still find Assassin more fun personally.

Oh yes, they removed the F.Ltng from Assassins. Quite forgot about that stupid change. Prior to 5,0 the Hatred Assassin(look, you could F.Ltng as a filler, just not in places where every last drop of dps was needed-but then again, you wouldn't use Hatred in such places to begin with) would be the logical choice(Access to all manifestations of Force-Lightning included!, use of tools like stealth and the blade...). Now, most probably Sorcerer, yeah. I still find Assassin more fun personally.

Oh, don't get me wrong, Assassin is fun - and the DBS is why I picked Shadow on my very first character (March 2013), and Assassin on my first SI. But I also think that the stories aren't really tied to either class of a class pair, nor to a discipline. (Also, remember that when the stories were created, your character started as the base class, and switched to an Advanced class later. The advanced classes are now just classes, and the "base" class is just the "umbrella" name for the class pair. And of course the stories were also written when there weren't Disciplines, but skill trees.)

Oh, don't get me wrong, Assassin is fun - and the DBS is why I picked Shadow on my very first character (March 2013), and Assassin on my first SI. But I also think that the stories aren't really tied to either class of a class pair, nor to a discipline. (Also, remember that when the stories were created, your character started as the base class, and switched to an Advanced class later. The advanced classes are now just classes, and the "base" class is just the "umbrella" name for the class pair. And of course the stories were also written when there weren't Disciplines, but skill trees.)

Indeed. But, let's take a Consular as an example. If that story wasn't written EXPLICITLY for Seer Sage(ok, maybe for Balance Sage too), I don't know what(how does anything that happens in JC story fit into what Shadows usually do). I don't think they are tied to, it's just my impression(with a notable exception of some like Consular). But then again, some stories have a well distinguished character-others less so. That's why I said that the mindset of an Inq fits more to the Assassin side while the story tries its darndest to just railroad you into Sorcerer line of thoughts(particularly Corruption / Madness Sorcs - ditto for JCs). Imo:

Story wise:

JK: Either

JC: Sage-Seer(or Balance)

Trooper: Either

Smuggler: Gunslinger(fastest gun in the galaxy et al)-Sharpshooter or Saboteur

SW: Either

SI: Sorcerer-Corruption or Madness

BH: Mercenary

IA: Operative

Character wise:

JC: Sage-Balance

Smuggler: Gunslinger

SI: Assassin-Hatred(DEFINITELY not Darkness!)

BH: Either(though the character does remind me more of a Powertech mentality, specifically the AP PT)

///

Now, what about them good Leather outfits?

Indeed. But, let's take a Consular as an example. If that story wasn't written EXPLICITLY for Seer Sage(ok, maybe for Balance Sage too), I don't know what(how does anything that happens in JC story fit into what Shadows usually do).

I would say it wasn't written for *Seer* Sage, because Seer Sage, as such, didn't exist when it was written, or at least, not in the way that it does now. But yeah, the story does seem to be more out-in-the-open than a Shadow's role would suggest.

I don't think they are tied to, it's just my impression(with a notable exception of some like Consular). But then again, some stories have a well distinguished character-others less so. That's why I said that the mindset of an Inq fits more to the Assassin side while the story tries its darndest to just railroad you into Sorcerer line of thoughts(particularly Corruption / Madness Sorcs - ditto for JCs). Imo:

Story wise:

JC: Sage-Seer(or Balance)

See above.

Smuggler: Gunslinger(fastest gun in the galaxy et al)-Sharpshooter or Saboteur

The smuggler in the story isn't, in the first analysis, about being the fastest gun, but the most hottest of hotshot smuggleship captains. You see that in the very first cinematic, and Skavak is impressed by your piloting, not by your gunplay.

SI: Sorcerer-Corruption or Madness

I favour Lightning Sorc, or one of the DPS Assassin specs (don't remember which), but it's based solely on the gameplay. From a story perspective, I don't think it matters, since the *story* is mostly not about fighting.

BH: Mercenary

I'm not convinced it matters, but equally the whole question is a bit subjective...

The Sniper seems a bit odd for an investigative agent with a bit of agent provocateur mixed in.

Character wise:

Too subjective to be useful to comment on.

Now, what about them good Leather outfits?

Um. Well. Er. There's so many adults-only jokes I could make about that, but this is a forum open to non-adults...

You might exploit the looks of the Armormech dps/heal gear, even going up to the MK-4 stuff if you can get the schematics from Command crates. (Armormech makes trooperish gear with tank stats or smugglerish gear with dps/heal stats.) Otherwise, some of the Synthweaving mid-level sets are SW-ish, but Sithy.

Now I had another idea:

Are there any clothes or armors in game that could represent a Zabrak well?

Hmm. Well, for me, the thing that's the most representative of Zabraks is the spiky head. In terms of clothes, pretty much anything goes. (Also, I have a tendency to dress my characters "against type" - bikini-clad guardianette, medium-like Commando, basic underwear/covert energy Commando, Subversive sith, Sith in white, Jedi in black, etc. - so don't take any advice I offer on clothing seriously.)

This is what I did:

JK- Guardian (never seen a non-Padawan Jedi that was a dual wielder and this is the Luke Skywalker story)

JC- Shadow (I did this mostly because I already had a sorcerer, but also because dual sabers are ******)

Trooper- Commando (I once played a Commando in SWG, so I had to go Commando)

Smuggler- Scoundrel (Han Solo is a Scoundrel)

SW- Juggernaut (Darth Vader was a Juggernaut)

SI- Sorcerer (Palpatine was a Sorcerer)

BH- PowerTech (I like the 'bounty hunter with the incredible armor' fantasy, and the story makes you seem invincible and untouchable, so it was a good fit)

IA- Operative (I feel like a sniper doesn't really associate with others a lot, which is something the IA does extensively)

This is what I did:

JK- Guardian (never seen a non-Padawan Jedi that was a dual wielder and this is the Luke Skywalker story)

JC- Shadow (I did this mostly because I already had a sorcerer, but also because dual sabers are ******)

Trooper- Commando (I once played a Commando in SWG, so I had to go Commando)

Smuggler- Scoundrel (Han Solo is a Scoundrel)

SW- Juggernaut (Darth Vader was a Juggernaut)

SI- Sorcerer (Palpatine was a Sorcerer)

BH- PowerTech (I like the 'bounty hunter with the incredible armor' fantasy, and the story makes you seem invincible and untouchable, so it was a good fit)

IA- Operative (I feel like a sniper doesn't really associate with others a lot, which is something the IA does extensively)

Base everything off the external cues, huh? Eh, do you think that a Shadow fits the Consular story? How did you feel it fit together?

Base everything off the external cues, huh? Eh, do you think that a Shadow fits the Consular story? How did you feel it fit together?

Yeah, Shadow fits well because you do a lot of dueling against other Sith. Sage doesn't seem the type to be a young duelist, as they're more Force based, and a lot of cutscenes have you clashing blades with people. That's really it. Certain planets, like Corellia, Balmorra, Belsavis, or any with the war theme going on fit the Shadow more because of their more violent environments you wouldn't expect to find a Sage in.

However, chapters one and two overall fit the Sage more as a diplomat, but the third is definitely a Shadow's thing. If you read the Shadow description it says that Shadows are primarily the people in charge of rooting out deep-seated darkness threatening the Republic and the Jedi Order, which is what you're doing in the third act.

As I said, though, I just picked Shadow 'cause I wasn't gonna pick pebbles over lightning, also because double-bladed lightsabers are awesome.

Yeah, Shadow fits well because you do a lot of dueling against other Sith. Sage doesn't seem the type to be a young duelist, as they're more Force based, and a lot of cutscenes have you clashing blades with people. That's really it. Certain planets, like Corellia, Balmorra, Belsavis, or any with the war theme going on fit the Shadow more because of their more violent environments you wouldn't expect to find a Sage in.

However, chapters one and two overall fit the Sage more as a diplomat, but the third is definitely a Shadow's thing. If you read the Shadow description it says that Shadows are primarily the people in charge of rooting out deep-seated darkness threatening the Republic and the Jedi Order, which is what you're doing in the third act.

As I said, though, I just picked Shadow 'cause I wasn't gonna pick pebbles over lightning, also because double-bladed lightsabers are awesome.

Thank you. Yeah, I suppose that Act III is indeed more of a Shadow thing. Shadows being basically a CTU of Jedi Order. But Acts I and II are definitely a Sage thing. Well, I wouldn't say Act II is a Sage thing, but more of a Consular thing. Act I is a Sage thing though. Completely philosophical and about Life and Death and the consequences of actions...almost Kreia like.

Thank you. Yeah, I suppose that Act III is indeed more of a Shadow thing. Shadows being basically a CTU of Jedi Order. But Acts I and II are definitely a Sage thing. Well, I wouldn't say Act II is a Sage thing, but more of a Consular thing. Act I is a Sage thing though. Completely philosophical and about Life and Death and the consequences of actions...almost Kreia like.

I would say it's the other way around between 1 and 2. Chapter 2 is an out-in-the-open diplomacy schtick, and since a Shadow is supposed to act from/in, well (sorry) the shadows, this is a poor match for what's happening in the Chapter 2 story.

Chapter 1 could be either, with a preference for Sage - the Sage is a healer / diplomat / teacher kind of figure. On the other hand, the Shadow - especially in the tank discipline - is a defender, and Chapter 1 features your character, well, defending people.

Or maybe I'm just, in my own long-winded way, saying that it's all rather subjective.

Right. What would be the better choice for a pragmatic Inquisitor: Sorcerer or Assassin? IE: The one that prefers to use the maximal amount of tools available to him.

Also, how does an Assassin fit Inquisitor story? Imo, it doesn't really.

Edited by Cuiwe