Can't Search GTN If Item Name Contains "Of", "An", or "A"

Xina_LA

The GTN won't perform a search if there is a 2-letter or 1-letter word in the name of the item.

There are a lot of items that contain "of the", "of an", or "of a" in the name.

For example: "Grand Statue Of The Emperor", "Statue Of A Cowled Man", "Small Statue Of Ancient Horror", and "Statue of an Ancient Jedi".

Perhaps the search should allow 1- and 2-letter words if there are also longer words present, or if there are at least X-number of characters total in the search.

The GTN won't perform a search if there is a 2-letter or 1-letter word in the name of the item.

There are a lot of items that contain "of the", "of an", or "of a" in the name.

For example: "Grand Statue Of The Emperor", "Statue Of A Cowled Man", "Small Statue Of Ancient Horror", and "Statue of an Ancient Jedi".

Perhaps the search should allow 1- and 2-letter words if there are also longer words present, or if there are at least X-number of characters total in the search.

I'm sorry, this is not a bug, but rather how the GTN search parameters were set. Any text entered needs to be a minimum of three letters to perform a search. All of the items you listed can still be searched, but you have to leave out anything less than three letters, such as the "of" or "an" or "a." In fact, you can save yourself some typing by entering as few letters as possible, such as "gra sta emp" or "sta cow man" (and sometimes you can get away with even less than that if there are no other items with names that are too similar).

The search function does not require strings to be in order. So while you can't search for "Statue of an Ancient Jedi", you can search for "Statue Ancient Jedi" and get the same results you would others (well, you'd also get, "Ancient Jedi Statue" results, if that's even a thing). So the limitation isn't all that bad, just takes an extra step to delete a couple letters, and in return, search results come back faster, so it all evens out.

I doubt it would be a difficult change to allow for searching of names with short words in them.

It gets to be a real tedious pain when you're trying to look for a bunch of desired items and sell quite a few as well, which happens every time a new pack comes out.

Edited by Xina_LA

I doubt it would be a difficult change to allow for searching of names with short words in them.

It certainly could be done, since, after all, that's how it used to be. It also bogged the GTN system down severely, creating pretty substantial lag in searches and such. It's really better the way it is now.

It certainly could be done, since, after all, that's how it used to be. It also bogged the GTN system down severely, creating pretty substantial lag in searches and such. It's really better the way it is now.

Please explain to me (a software developer) how searching for "Pit of the Sarlacc" causes significantly more lag in GTN searches than "Pit Sarlacc" and "Restored Triumvirate Gauntlets".

Please explain to me (a software developer) how searching for "Pit of the Sarlacc" causes significantly more lag in GTN searches than "Pit Sarlacc" and "Restored Triumvirate Gauntlets".

hmmm, i like to know this myself.

I'm someone who spends a fair amount of game time on the GTN. This is annoying. But what gets me is why do the DEVs continue to make items with 2 or 1 letter words in them? I'll use the gtn the way it is now, fine, but when you are searching for items quite a lot it adds up. It's nice to shift click an item's name into the GTN and hit search. But sometimes you have to then delete these words. Difficult no. Loss of time, not too much. Annoying, yes.

Again, the funny thing here is this is just another thing that shows the devs don't play their game. Stop making items with 1 or 2 letters in their titles and problem solved.