Every class at 50...which ones to focus on to 70?

MikeFL

Hey all, as the title says, I'm looking to select a couple classes to take thru Illum, Makeb, Revan, KOTFE/KOTET to 70. I recently re-subbed and spent the last few weeks finishing the class stories I hadn't completed yet, getting all my toons to 50. I now have each AC at 50, most listed in my sig below but some not.

I've never gone beyond Ilum, I usually finish a class story and move onto the next class. For Republic, my "main" is my Jedi Knight Guardian, who I plan on taking thru the content to 70. Possibly my Commando as well. I want to take advantage of the EXP boost, and am unsure which Empire class(es) to focus on for the next month.

I have a Jugg and Mara, both of which I love. I also have an Assassin, Merc and Sniper. I don't play my Sorc much, and might use the 65 boost on him later (or an Operative) to have that as a healer for 70 content. So I guess my question is...which classes would you recommend focusing on, both from a story element, but also for endgame PvP and PvE?

I have not done any of the KotFE/KotET stuff myself, so some of what I offer comes from understanding what others have said, not first-hand knowledge.

That out of the way:

My understanding is that the new stuff is mostly written to make sense for force users moreso than non-force users.

Further, it may be geared more for Knights/Juggernauts than Sages/Sorcerers, but this seems like a secondary thing.

Taking am agent, hunter, smuggler, or trooper through may feel "off" in terms of the story itself.

Endgame stuff? Look, they are always tweaking this, buffing that, and nerfing the other, so my advice here is what it always is; Play what you enjoy most, not something because it's considered to be the "best" at something.

You follow that path and a month later what used to be "best" is now middle-of-the-pack or maybe even "worst", and if you only played it because of the power you are now looking for something else.

So for story? I suggest a force-user. Maybe one from each side and you can run through a knight or a warrior on one side and then a sage or sorcerer on the other.

For endgame? I suggest whatever class(es) you like most in terms of mechanics.

And, as noted, the level 60/65 token is not something that you apply to an existing character. You create a new character skipping all of the class story stuff and starting fresh at the beginning of whichever story with level-appropriate gear.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think I'll run through it with my Knight and Warrior, then go from there. As far as the 60/65 boost, what I meant to say is I might delete my Sorc and re-make him with the boost.

For content, what is worth doing and what is skip-able? I plan on doing Ilum, Makeb, Revan, then KOTFE/KOTET at least once or once per side. After that, is it possible/recommended to skip Makeb/Ilum and go right into Revan and KOTFE?

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think I'll run through it with my Knight and Warrior, then go from there. As far as the 60/65 boost, what I meant to say is I might delete my Sorc and re-make him with the boost.

For content, what is worth doing and what is skip-able? I plan on doing Ilum, Makeb, Revan, then KOTFE/KOTET at least once or once per side. After that, is it possible/recommended to skip Makeb/Ilum and go right into Revan and KOTFE?

I would recommend doing all of Revan, including Rise of the Emperor (Ziost) at least once before doing KotFE, because there's a bunch of background given in Revan and especially RotE, and it goes a long way to explaining the bickering between your companions during the early part of KotFE. The (main) story in the Revan / RotE stuff is basically the same for all classes, except for one mission that's class specific on the planet of Rishi. It's worth running through all eight of those (at least) once each as they provide closure for something (except, perhaps, for the Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor ones).

It's also, perhaps, interesting to see the final conversation *on* Ziost once for each base class - it isn't the same, even though the rest of the story is more or less the same for everyone.

Makeb, of course, has two main stories, one for the Empire and one for the Republic. Do the Republic one first, and then do the Empire one, and you'll see *how* certain things in the Republic one are the way they are.

Story wise, you want to bring at the very least a force user forward for KoTFE/KoTET not to feel too far fetched, and ideally Knight or Warrior (I find warrior more interesting depending on how you played him, tbh. Both makes the most sense by far, and the story is obviously tailored for the Jedi Knight, which has been their poster boy in nearly all the teasers)

Now performance wise, I chose assassin as my main for 5.0 because deception is currently good at both pve and pvp, as well as solo pve (since stealth allows you to skip a bunch of fights when farming cxp with planetary)

For dps, merc is also a very powerful class in both pvp and pve right now, but its also the class that is most likely to get batnerfed into the next balancing patch. Sniper and marauder are also good choices performance wise for both PvE and PvP.

For heals, operative has the highest theoritical hps in PvE, but sorc has the best burst healing for pvp. I'm not 100% sure how merc stands, as I dont play one and dont know many people who does. Its certainly survivable in pvp, but the output seems less than sage/sorc.

Tank wise, sintank is currently top dog, but I,ve seen some ops that like having both jugs or pt as tank, from the higher blunt mitigation they have. All 3 still work.

a force user forward for KoTFE/KoTET not to feel too far fetched

Actually, for me, the one that really feels far-fetched if you aren't a force user is the stuff on Yavin IV, where you start zapping the locks with lightning. It"s a bit weird for Jedi, and drastically weird for NFUs.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will definitely run through the content first with my Jedi Guardian and one of my Sith Warriors, then try to get some other select classes to 70 like my Sniper, Mec, and Assassin.

Which SW would you recommend, for overall well-roundedness at endgame doing GC, PvP, heroics, etc? I love my Juggernaut that I just got to 60 thru playing the class story. My first SW is my Marauder who aesthetically I really enjoy. The play style is brutal and rewarding but also much more complex than Jugg, so sometimes I'm left feeling like I don't know how best to play it.

On the Sniper front, I used to play MM Sniper back when that was good, but I hear now its not doing well. I love the Sniper class so I'm not going to ditch it, I'm willing to try the other specs but I have heard that Virulence is pretty tough to play. As a player who is re-learning the game, what spec should I use to 70, and any advice on re-learning these tougher classes like Virulence Sniper or Anni/Carnage/Rage Mara?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will definitely run through the content first with my Jedi Guardian and one of my Sith Warriors, then try to get some other select classes to 70 like my Sniper, Mec, and Assassin.

Which SW would you recommend, for overall well-roundedness at endgame doing GC, PvP, heroics, etc? I love my Juggernaut that I just got to 60 thru playing the class story. My first SW is my Marauder who aesthetically I really enjoy. The play style is brutal and rewarding but also much more complex than Jugg, so sometimes I'm left feeling like I don't know how best to play it.

On the Sniper front, I used to play MM Sniper back when that was good, but I hear now its not doing well. I love the Sniper class so I'm not going to ditch it, I'm willing to try the other specs but I have heard that Virulence is pretty tough to play. As a player who is re-learning the game, what spec should I use to 70, and any advice on re-learning these tougher classes like Virulence Sniper or Anni/Carnage/Rage Mara?

I really enjoy Engineering. It's tough to min/max from what I understand, but generally I don't think it's that difficult to play. For leveling, I'd definitely go this route because I don't find the story part of the game to have a lot of enemies that move a lot. The AOE is great to have too.

MM isn't the best spec right now, but it still works for everything. Actually, it's still the spec I play on my GS.

Edited by SalBasss

I too have returned this month and leveled the fifteen chars I had.

As there now is quite a lot of cxp grind involved you can't in all humanly possible efforts endgame such a number of chars, so I focus on the funnest-to-play ones, namely Telekinetics Sage (really fun dps with all the procs. Btw I don't at all like the Lightning Sorc counterpart. Doesn't half feel as fun as Sage), Scrapper Scoundrel and Lethality Operative (pure action chars), identical Commando and Merc in the flaming dot specs (very different animations though, so quite fun to see how you do the same stuff but it all looks different), and I reaaaly came to like Carnage Mara once I geared it a bit. Very satisfyingly brutal, bloody swordplay.

I too have returned this month and leveled the fifteen chars I had.

As there now is quite a lot of cxp grind involved you can't in all humanly possible efforts endgame such a number of chars, so I focus on the funnest-to-play ones, namely Telekinetics Sage (really fun dps with all the procs. Btw I don't at all like the Lightning Sorc counterpart. Doesn't half feel as fun as Sage), Scrapper Scoundrel and Lethality Operative (pure action chars), identical Commando and Merc in the flaming dot specs (very different animations though, so quite fun to see how you do the same stuff but it all looks different), and I reaaaly came to like Carnage Mara once I geared it a bit. Very satisfyingly brutal, bloody swordplay.

Yeah I figured the cop grind would be too much to truly endgame so many chars. My goal is to get most of them to 70, and pick 2-3 to really focus on. How do you recommend leveling them to 70 quickly like you did?

Yeah I figured the cop grind would be too much to truly endgame so many chars. My goal is to get most of them to 70, and pick 2-3 to really focus on. How do you recommend leveling them to 70 quickly like you did?

farming planets' heroic is probably the fastest way right now. There is a terminal on the fleets where you can get them all, just pick a bunch, and use the quick travel given with it.

They also auto-complete, so no running back to drop them to a quest giver.

How do you recommend leveling them to 70 quickly like you did?

Well I had most of the class stories finished, so starting from RotHC I simply played the main storyline stuff. So with the 250% + legacy boosts + exp potion + premium acc + guild bonus it took me about three to four hours per 50ish to 70. From Illum and onwards, I was usually done at the start of Rishi. Haven't even touched the last two expacs yet

Are the heroics doable solo?

On 70 they are. Though may depend on your Presence. Mine is maxed in Legacy and Datacubes, so my pets fair far better than most of the people I have to endure in GF.

Don't think it's fast with heroics though, tried it on my Vanguard and it took me a couple of evenings.

Edited by iFruit