Computer upgrades for SWTOR?

mbageology

Hi All, thanks in advance for your input. I am thinking of purchasing a new gaming laptop but am wondering if it will make SWTOR look any better or not. Presently I have MSI with i7 (4th gen), 16gigs RAM, GTX 970m with 6 gigs DDR5, and full HD 1080p monitor.

If I upgrade to a 4K laptop with a i7 (6 or 7 gen) GTX 1080 with 8gigs, 64 gigs RAM, and a 4K screen will that make the game look any better? I can already play it at ultra settings, but does a 4K screen, and better graphics card equal better ultra settings? I only play games like SWTOR, a tiny bit of WoW, SC2, etc. Would a new computer like this be a waste of money?

Thanks!

I bought MSI GT73VR 6RF-025AU 17.3" Core i7 Titan Pro Notebook I elected for the 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), 120 Hz screen instead of the 4K screen as I liked the 120 Hz with Gsync better then trying to drive a 4K screen

Would a new computer like this be a waste of money?

Thanks!

Check the performance difference between the CPUs and GPUs if you think it is worth the upgrade for yourself then that is the basis of buying or not buying a new laptop.

I would say there is nothing really wrong with the one you have for the usage you say you use it for.

but saying that we all get to the point where we buy a new one and give the other as a hand me down :)

Edited by OwenBrooks

if you are only upgrading for this game just buy the best clock speed CPU that u can find within reasonable price. That will impact the most on the game;s performance.

I would personally recommend Intel's i7 6700k (clocked at 5,0Ghz with a decent cooling)

If you are looking for a more budget solution you can find all the benches and prices here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

I have to note, even if you get a powerful GPU for your system it will not impact on the performance as much as the CPU does.

SSD's will help with your load times a lot, but overall won't give you improvements anywhere else.

TLDR: Get a high frequency CPU and an SSD.

Edit: Alienware builds you custom laptops with the components u want to have in them. This is not a budget solution :D

Edited by Xcurtx

MSI GT73VR 6RF-025AU 17.3" Core i7 Titan Pro Notebook cost me about AU $ 5,000.00 so MSIs arent budget either they make a good laptop , luckily I salary sacrificed it and essentially got $2,000.00 back

Big difference for the OP is going from a 970m to a 1080 , the 970m is a mobility card and the 1080 in these is desktop card essentially

comparison between the 2 is at this link

Edited by OwenBrooks

Would a new computer like this be a waste of money?

A few of things to consider:

1. SWTOR relies a lot on the CPU. However, a 6th or 7th gen i7 will be faster than an older 4th gen. So, no problems there.

2. A GTX-1080 (mobile) will be better than a 970m, but you would be pushing 4x the number of pixels, so your GPU related frame rates would most likely be less than you get with 1920x1080 when using a GTX-1080 plus 4K screen.

3. At 4K resolution, text in SWTOR will be very tiny and may be very hard to read. You could run SWTOR at a lower res, like 1920x1080, to get larger text, but then why not just get a less expensive 1920x1080 screen.

Overall, your gaming experience on a 4K laptop is apt to be not as good as a 1920x1080 laptop.

Edited by JediQuaker

Why on earth would you upgrade for this game? I run it with 60 fps, all settings maxed out, no frame rate drops, with a gtx 690 4gb, I/7-3820, and 32 gb ram. There is absolutely ZERO reason to upgrade from what you have for this game.

Hi All, thanks in advance for your input. I am thinking of purchasing a new gaming laptop but am wondering if it will make SWTOR look any better or not. Presently I have MSI with i7 (4th gen), 16gigs RAM, GTX 970m with 6 gigs DDR5, and full HD 1080p monitor.

If I upgrade to a 4K laptop with a i7 (6 or 7 gen) GTX 1080 with 8gigs, 64 gigs RAM, and a 4K screen will that make the game look any better? I can already play it at ultra settings, but does a 4K screen, and better graphics card equal better ultra settings? I only play games like SWTOR, a tiny bit of WoW, SC2, etc. Would a new computer like this be a waste of money?

Thanks!

IMO, it would be a waste of money.

The RAM would not get used. SWTOR is a 32-bit application that means it capped out at 4GB RAM. the only thing that much RAM would allow would be for you to run more applications besides SWTOR, but 16GB would be MORE than enough to run EVERYTHING anyone would run in addition to SWTOR (VOIP software i.e. mumble, parser, external guild chat i.e. discord, and Netflix to watch movies while playing).

As others point out SWTOR is far more CPU intensive than GPU intensive so that video card would be underutilized. With that in mind though, better CPU would be better.

As for 4k, in my experience if a game or video is not 4k optimized 4k is not worth it.

So overall, you would spend a lot of money for hardware that would have little to no impact on SWTOR performance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.