Anyone suffering from incredible bad lag spikes since last week???

LordAppius

So for almost 2 weeks, ans specially the last one i ve been noticing that my game crashes continuously, suffers from lag sipkes that reaches 100 k lag, the thing is swtor is the only game that registers this issue. I play battlefield and my lag is never above 40/50, here the normal is 60ish but the last couples weeks have just been horrible. Not only me but a lot of friends i play with randomly disconect when we are doing pvp, ops or other stuff.

Yeap same here. Getting 10k ping on peak hours last 4 days. There is already 2 threads at Bug section and here. But not any answer from the Devs.

A 10k ping is actually a loss of connection with the server.

The client is quite resilient for this game in that it will generally not just quickly crash when it suffers a disconnect, it will keep cycling on the assumption it will be able to get a reconnect (and sometimes it does). Eventually it will time out and bring you back to the server select screen.

Now for the harder part to evaluate ---> is it a problem somewhere between you and the server farm, or is it inside the sever farm or server? You cannot tell unless you run a reliable route test program ---> like the free version of Pingplotter. With Pingplotter you can visually see what the hops are between you and the server and also what the latency is for each hop. Until you do this, you cannot nail down the source of the issue. If it is with the server farm, Pingplotter data will enable you to prove it to the studio and get them to act. If it is before the server farm, then guess what.. not much the studio can do about it.

In the past I have experienced cases where it was definitely the server side, and cases where it was a major internet backbone on the route to the server. You simply cannot tell by looking at the ping indicator on the UI.

Edited by Andryah

Well you reply was most welcome and enlightened me. As a way to work this out i'm afraid i can't provide one since i have a rather limited skill when it comes to anything related to computer science. I was just curious, if this was an isolated case or if it was also happening to ppl throughout the server, since some ppl from my guild, friends or others have been experiencing the same issue...

Well you reply was most welcome and enlightened me. As a way to work this out i'm afraid i can't provide one since i have a rather limited skill when it comes to anything related to computer science. I was just curious, if this was an isolated case or if it was also happening to ppl throughout the server, since some ppl from my guild, friends or others have been experiencing the same issue...

It is a general issue. There are a lot people facing it in 4 different Guilds that I have asked.

• 2 months later...
A 10k ping is actually a loss of connection with the server.

The client is quite resilient for this game in that it will generally not just quickly crash when it suffers a disconnect, it will keep cycling on the assumption it will be able to get a reconnect (and sometimes it does). Eventually it will time out and bring you back to the server select screen.

Now for the harder part to evaluate ---> is it a problem somewhere between you and the server farm, or is it inside the sever farm or server? You cannot tell unless you run a reliable route test program ---> like the free version of Pingplotter. With Pingplotter you can visually see what the hops are between you and the server and also what the latency is for each hop. Until you do this, you cannot nail down the source of the issue. If it is with the server farm, Pingplotter data will enable you to prove it to the studio and get them to act. If it is before the server farm, then guess what.. not much the studio can do about it.

In the past I have experienced cases where it was definitely the server side, and cases where it was a major internet backbone on the route to the server. You simply cannot tell by looking at the ping indicator on the UI.

I've been experiencing this problem too, since January on Jedi Convenant! It started with only story, but about a month later, I was lagging in PvP too, and the spikes have gotten progressively longer into several minutes (hundreds of thousands of milliseconds). Sometimes I just get fed up and stop playing. This happens on both WiFi and wired connections.

I did a traceroute, which determined that a node run by Level3 Communications is the culprit. It's appears to be right before the SWTOR servers, so maybe Bioware can do something about it, since they should be a customer of theirs. You can't file a ticket with them without being a customer, so you can't do it yourself.

Everyone that has this problem, do a traceroute:

tracert -w #######

Where the # symbols is replaced with the amount of time in milliseconds the trace will wait to resolve the host (get the node information) before moving on to the next one. If you post your traceroute information in this thread, please remember to redact your IP address from the trace. I had to set mine to 200,000-300,000 ms before I got address resolution, so go find something else to do while you wait.

I also stumbled upon an interesting article that gives a little insight into just what may be going on. It's originally written by Level3 though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Was able to find one of the articles the article linked.

Edited by Tofu_Shark
Links to Articles