anyone from asia getting interval lag spike and dc?

KelmenWong

south east asia

general latency to harbinger is around 300ms, i can play with this

but once awhile, it spike up, sometime dc

use ping-plotter, looks like packet loss at hop *.SanJose1.Level3.net

whois stating this is at Broomfield, colorado, usa

anyone experiencing this?

is this gonna recover?

Yes. i'm playing from Kuala Lumpur to Ebon Hawk server . constant DC due to high ping. i suspect its my local isp fiber problem connecting to US server. Tested playing on European server no problem so far its still frustrating cause i prefer to play on US server. Edited by Scay-goo

south east asia

general latency to harbinger is around 300ms, i can play with this

but once awhile, it spike up, sometime dc

whois stating this is at Broomfield, colorado, usa

anyone experiencing this?

is this gonna recover?

Packet loss in level 3 routers is not uncommon, nor is it necessarily an issue. Latency on the other hand CAN and WILL cause server disconnects for SWTOR.. and the client will continue to try to reconnect unsuccessfully until it times out some minutes later.

A level 3 router is a "backbone" router, and as such they prioritize and handle traffic differently then router hops at lower level points in the internet (and they should, to be honest).

Also.... SanJose is.. well.. in California, NOT Colorado. whois is showing you the business address of the company, Level 3 Communications, not the physical location of the router.

Harbinger is located in the west coast server farm, located in Southern California (they lease within a very large southern California mega data center). It is not uncommon for level 3 routers to have congestion in the California routes. There is an extremely high rate of data traffic in the state... probably courtesy of all the people streaming their TV content now days, rather then via cable or antenna connections. I would guess that your route is hopping through the LA area, which along with the bay area are particularly prone to congestion for some level 3 backbones.

Edited by Andryah

The packet loss displayed at that router is only a problem if that packetloss continues to all further hops, if it is only at that router then it can be ignored.

packet loss to a router is different to packet loss through a router and ICMP is low priority.

Feel free to make a thread at EA Answers HQ and isert the pingplot saved as a jpg , and I can provide a 2nd view on what is displayed.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Packet loss in level 3 routers is not uncommon, nor is it necessarily an issue. Latency on the other hand CAN and WILL cause server disconnects for SWTOR.. and the client will continue to try to reconnect unsuccessfully until it times out some minutes later.

A level 3 router is a "backbone" router, and as such they prioritize and handle traffic differently then router hops at lower level points in the internet (and they should, to be honest).

Also.... SanJose is.. well.. in California, NOT Colorado. whois is showing you the business address of the company, Level 3 Communications, not the physical location of the router.

Harbinger is located in the west coast server farm, located in Southern California (they lease within a very large southern California mega data center). It is not uncommon for level 3 routers to have congestion in the California routes. There is an extremely high rate of data traffic in the state... probably courtesy of all the people streaming their TV content now days, rather then via cable or antenna connections. I would guess that your route is hopping through the LA area, which along with the bay area are particularly prone to congestion for some level 3 backbones.

Ahhhhhhhh! Interesting. Thanks. I did not know this.

I've not connected to the game in the last 14hrs but last night on harb it was fine. Some lag issues that made quesh huttball a PITA but that was it. I'm in Australia and usually am around 186ms. If it spikes up to 200-300, people suddenly fly in pvp. I was noticing that a little. I tried to stun the ball carrier under the acid trap, but suddenly they weren't there and were already behind our goal line. :eek: To my teammates, it probably looked like I just stood there and let the ball carrier through :eek::eek: ugh. lol. ah well. No disconnects or red bars or X of death though.

I'm in Australia and usually am around 186ms. If it spikes up to 200-300, people suddenly fly in pvp. I was noticing that a little.

I am also in Australia and I would kill for 186ms. My ping has never gone below 250ms and usually sits between 275-300ms. If I may ask, are you on the east coast and are you on the NBN? I'm in WA and don't have access to NBN yet (coming this year they tell me).

I am also in Australia and I would kill for 186ms. My ping has never gone below 250ms and usually sits between 275-300ms. If I may ask, are you on the east coast and are you on the NBN? I'm in WA and don't have access to NBN yet (coming this year they tell me).

Which ISP are you with ? i'm with iinet (sydney) and get about 180ms to Harbinger

Only other avenue that will likely lower your ping, give http://www.wtfast.com a test run and see how much impact there is on your timings

Edited by OwenBrooks

As per someone on here said, my ping did not change after nbn. I forget their reasons. I'm in Melbourne. Being in WA may make you further so maybe that's why you have a higher number.

Fyi: the weeks leading up to nbn installation made our adsl SOOO BAD UNTIL THEY KILLED IT. Yep. They killed our adsl. Telstra was no help. The nbn guys fixed our adsl so we'd have something the week before switching over to nbn.

I'm on aussie broadband as telstra is absolute poo.

Which ISP are you with ? i'm with iinet (sydney) and get about 180ms to Harbinger

Only other avenue that will likely lower your ping, give http://www.wtfast.com a test run and see how much impact there is on your timings

I use battleping, just to get the 270ms. I figured I'd get higher pings being in Perth, but I never thought it was that bad. I just assumed you guys were getting 250ms as well. 180ms is a huge difference.

Oh, and I'm on Telstra bigpond

Edited by Zhedzaban

Oh, and I'm on Telstra bigpond

This will be why, in your case you should get better ping with iiNet I think as one of their routes out is via perth

Use http://looking-glass.iinet.net.au/lg.cgi and select a perth router to the server IP 159.153.68.252

maybe not

Router: AS4739 - Perth, AU

Command: ping ip 159.153.68.252 repeat 5 (west coast)

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 159.153.68.252, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 256/256/260 ms

Edited by OwenBrooks

This will be why, in your case you should get better ping with iiNet I think as one of their routes out is via perth

Use http://looking-glass.iinet.net.au/lg.cgi and select a perth router to the server IP 159.153.68.252

maybe not

Router: AS4739 - Perth, AU

Command: ping ip 159.153.68.252 repeat 5 (west coast)

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 159.153.68.252, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 256/256/260 ms

So it would seem Perth is the problem and not so much my ISP? Will the NBN make a difference as it would improve my latency to Sydney, which is where I assume I'm going to be routed before going to California.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.