Five Words That Sum Up State of the Game

Joonbeams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the major issues in this game can be summed up with 5 words: Rewards Don’t Match the Expense. Look at the major gripes pre 5.0 and post 5.1 announcements. People don’t want RNG. People don’t want gratuitous grinding. But digging deeper what people really want is some reasonable assurance that their time won’t be wasted. Ironically, if keeping people subbed with existing content is the goal, then punishing subs with an insanely underwhelming loot table is having the exact opposite effect. As such, the announcements for 5.1, while appreciated, don’t go nearly far enough.

Do you really want people to play all of your content, over and over again? Well then make it worthwhile by getting rid of useless loot drops. Every bit of content in this game should drop something “useful,” albeit to varying degrees.

Here are some examples:

1. Gearing: far too few drops of gear. RNG “bad luck” should be the gearing exception, not the rule.

2. Ops/Ranked PvP/HM FPS/Veteran Modes: Hardest content should have highest chances at best gear and rewards and CXP, right now it’s the opposite

3. Cartel Market: Even CM packs drop far too little quality items, basically slot machines

4. Open World/Questing/Leveling: almost all loot drops from these activities are worthless

Devs, TAKE NOTE: All of this is easily fixed by updating the loot tables substantially. No new content is needed – I repeat NO NEW CONTENT is needed to fix the main issues. Keep GC, keep CXP, and even keep RNG if you must. But for the love of midichlorians, loot tables need HEAVY adjustment, for example in much the same way crafting has been adjusted – around 60% chance for a quality item from certain activities. As another example, all Ops bosses should have 100% chance of dropping unassembled gear pieces in this system. Fairness is what we're looking for.

THERE ARE NO OTHER ISSUES that should have your focus at this point other than radically modifying the loot tables to something that keeps people feeling like their time will be rewarded. This can be done in the next patch with a very routine amount of dev work. You will get everything you hoped to get with 5.0 - critical mass of people willing to stay subbed for existing content and a sprinkle of new story.

This isn’t to say that no new content is needed to strengthen this game in the long run – you’ve admitted as much. But for now, the fixes needed for this game are pretty simple and straightforward. Please do it.

Tl;dr: Fix the loot tables and most of 5.x issues go away....

I know some players who were 270+ GC and NO GEAR DROPS!!! While another player had a full 6 set piece by the time he hit GC 12...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I dont mind the system, but maybe they could tweak the RNG a little bit.

Thought of a new set of five words: "RNG is NOT exciting, Ben."

"Everquest died for a reason"

(yes I know it still shambles along in undead-mode - regardless, CXP gives me serious flashbacks to the bad old days of EQ1 epic quests)

Edited by stoopicus