The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Makashi and saber staffs

darthisraphel

So I role play that my assassin is a practitioner of Makashi and Soresu however, thinking about how Count Dooku fought in the movies had me questioning whether You would be able of making effective use of form 2 with a saber staff.

So my question is could it work with one and if not what forms would work.

Thank you!

While the saber staff mostly was for quick slashes and violent assaults, those were not its only uses.

For example, Darth Zannah used a saber staff with shortened blades to make very good use of Soresu. While Darth Maul, another prominent user of the weapon, used Juyo with it in a much more aggressive way.

As far as Makashi is concerned, there are 2 main requirements. Stabbing capability, and being able to control the saber duel. One thing to note about saber staffs is that they tend to have pretty large hilts, which, could be utilized by a skilled practitioner for long reaching stabs. As far as roleplay goes, you could head cannon it that the saber staff in question has buttons to adjust the blade mid-combat, allowing the blade to extend farther during stabs if coordinated right. The downside of using Makashi with a saber staff however is that it would sacrifice speed concerning the forward jabs. On the upside, it is less likely to fall to a Djem So user due to the standard 2 handed grip. If you want to minimize this, you could find a staff saber that has a smaller hilt.

All things considered however, Makashi would work better with a Saber Pike than a Saber Staff. Throwing Soresu into there though, that would not work well with a pike unless the individual was of adequate strength, but since most saber pikes could withstand saber blows, it could still work. If you want to retain the saber staff however, there is no limitation on the form that would disallow it.

I hope I was helpful. :D_embarrassed :

Side Note: Any form can be used with a Saber Staff essentially, but due to the second blade, every form takes on a different use and appearance when applied to it. Kinda like how you do not use the same movements with a spear that you do with a halberd, but the techniques can transfer over with a few alterations. For an example of Djem So or Shii-Cho with a saber staff for example, checkout Savage Oppress. Juyo, Darth Maul (TPM). Zannah, Soresu. For a mixture of Niman and Ataru (as well as a bit of juyo), Satele Shan (Hope).

Edited by Silenceo

While the saber staff mostly was for quick slashes and violent assaults, those were not its only uses.

For example, Darth Zannah used a saber staff with shortened blades to make very good use of Soresu. While Darth Maul, another prominent user of the weapon, used Juyo with it in a much more aggressive way.

As far as Makashi is concerned, there are 2 main requirements. Stabbing capability, and being able to control the saber duel. One thing to note about saber staffs is that they tend to have pretty large hilts, which, could be utilized by a skilled practitioner for long reaching stabs. As far as roleplay goes, you could head cannon it that the saber staff in question has buttons to adjust the blade mid-combat, allowing the blade to extend farther during stabs if coordinated right. The downside of using Makashi with a saber staff however is that it would sacrifice speed concerning the forward jabs. On the upside, it is less likely to fall to a Djem So user due to the standard 2 handed grip. If you want to minimize this, you could find a staff saber that has a smaller hilt.

All things considered however, Makashi would work better with a Saber Pike than a Saber Staff. Throwing Soresu into there though, that would not work well with a pike unless the individual was of adequate strength, but since most saber pikes could withstand saber blows, it could still work. If you want to retain the saber staff however, there is no limitation on the form that would disallow it.

I hope I was helpful. :D_embarrassed :

Side Note: Any form can be used with a Saber Staff essentially, but due to the second blade, every form takes on a different use and appearance when applied to it. Kinda like how you do not use the same movements with a spear that you do with a halberd, but the techniques can transfer over with a few alterations. For an example of Djem So or Shii-Cho with a saber staff for example, checkout Savage Oppress. Juyo, Darth Maul (TPM). Zannah, Soresu. For a mixture of Niman and Ataru (as well as a bit of juyo), Satele Shan (Hope).

Thank you! that was plenty help! I am now considering throwing in some niman to round it out a bit more too.