The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Power vs. Master

SurgesRaichu

I just started back after a few months of downtime. I noticed with the latest patch that some Crystals now grant Mastery instead of Prestige. So, which would be the better choice between Mastery and Power as your Crystal options?

Actually as a DPS or heals you want the Eviscerating (+critical) crystals. However, if for example you have a specific color in mind and you only have mastery (BTW was "expertise" not "prestige" :p) and power then probably mastery.

• 2 weeks later...

In the old days, Gunslingers and Sentinels used Crit because they had many hits and many chances to hit the crit.

Many other classes including healers used power because it gave greater damage since they had few chances to crit.

Are things different now? Is crit better for everything?

Most specs have some kind of autocrit, and where pre-4.0 crit chance was wasted in case of an autocrit, it now gets added to the crit damage (i.e. 40 crit, 70 surge would result in +110% autocrit damage)

For specs with tons of little hits, where crit chance*surge can be considered a flat damage modifier, the crit stat is better than ever since it now increases both values at the same time.

The difference a +41 crystal makes is negligible of course, if you have a white power crystal then by all means, use it, but for augments, most dps and heals will benefit from crit more than from power/mastery.

All that theorycrafting is mainly about min-maxing for content where a 0.5% overall damage increase can mean the difference between the boss enraging or not. As a burst class in PVP, for example, you may prefer to do +1% more guaranteed damage, rather than an average +1.5% over a long period.

Edited by Mubrak

Most specs have some kind of autocrit, and where pre-4.0 crit chance was wasted in case of an autocrit, it now gets added to the crit damage (i.e. 40 crit, 70 surge would result in +110% autocrit damage)

Except that there is no "surge" any more, not since 4.0 dropped in October '15. The Crit stat juices both crit% and critmult.