The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Big issue with VG/PT, range is simply TOO LOW

TalonVII

As I've redone and gone back to do a new Vanguard, and having played the PT at 65+, It is safe to say, that the range on these 2 classes are just simply too LOW.

I mean good god, 30m range on the base attack, but then 10M for everything else is just ASININE. HIB should be a 30m ranged attack, Arty barrage should be 20.

Explosive charge should be 10m.

I mean really, why such short ranges, this is asinine!

As I've redone and gone back to do a new Vanguard, and having played the PT at 65+, It is safe to say, that the range on these 2 classes are just simply too LOW.

I mean good god, 30m range on the base attack, but then 10M for everything else is just ASININE. HIB should be a 30m ranged attack, Arty barrage should be 20.

Explosive charge should be 10m.

I mean really, why such short ranges, this is asinine!

Seriously! Are they saying a full trained trooper of the republic/mercinary for hire can't hit targets from more then 10 meters? And he can't throw a grenade more then 10 meters? I'm a skinny white guy and I can throw a baseball probably 200+ feet! It makes zero sense.

Yes, I agree the range is too low. I find the vanguard's lack of range disturbing. It does not make much sense for a rifle class to not be able effectively attack someone who is more than 10 m away. It should be at least as it was in 3.0 - 30m HIB, 15m tactical surge, 30m artillery blitz, 30m that replacement for the sticky grenade.

Commando has better damage, better range and better defensive cooldowns than vanguard. So in my opinion increasing the vanguard's range would not make the class imbalanced. It would still have worse damage and defensive, but would be at least fun to play again. What is a point of having class, which is not fun to play.

Also I would not mind if vanguard's "jump to target" ability (whatever its name is) is removed if the range is increased.

Edited by Miroslaww

I can understand the rational behind dividing the classes into strictly melee or strictly ranged (though I don't agree), but if you're going to do that you probably shouldn't give melee guns and grenades.

The biggest problem with PT/Vanguard right now is not even their performance, it's the aesthetic. You almost never use your gun, the new animations are of very poor quality and the two classes have been thrown into a weird juxtaposition between ranged (with some abilities having 30yd) and melee (most 10yd).

I can understand the rational behind dividing the classes into strictly melee or strictly ranged (though I don't agree), but if you're going to do that you probably shouldn't give melee guns and grenades.

The biggest problem with PT/Vanguard right now is not even their performance, it's the aesthetic. You almost never use your gun, the new animations are of very poor quality and the two classes have been thrown into a weird juxtaposition between ranged (with some abilities having 30yd) and melee (most 10yd).

no kidding. If i'm going to be that close anyways, give me a tech blade and say a small ion blaster and call it a day.

I hate the current PT disciplines... Remember when AP had Flamethrower tied to it, and Pyrotech had Thermal Detonator, good times. I wish we had those trees back. But guess what, not going to happen, we get ugly searing wave and deadly onslaught instead. Man, I hate them so much.

Don't have any issues with 10m range though :) This makes PT a unique class in my opinion.

Edited by Taankjr

I hate the current PT disciplines... Remember when AP had Flamethrower tied to it, and Pyrotech had Thermal Detonator, good times. I wish we had those trees back. But guess what, not going to happen, we get ugly searing wave and deadly onslaught instead. Man, I hate them so much.

Don't have any issues with 10m range though :) This makes PT a unique class in my opinion.

Good old days! End of 2.0 was the most balanced for PTs. All three specs where competitive in every game mode. BW devs in their infinite wisdom kept f**kin with the class in 3.0 - 5.0 and destroyed it. If you try to fix something that is not broken, you will waste time and ending-up breaking it. Welcome to 5.0.

As for range, VG/PT is not a melee class, never was, and unless there is a major design change, never will be. AP in particular always played as mid range, not a short range. This is what happens when you get idiots shoving unneeded skills (yes that is Jet Charge) then try to f**kin balance the class based on that and erroneous statements made by a stupid dev. And yes, PT should have multiple 30 meter skills.

Edited by Ottoattack

I mean I can understand Ion Wave, Ion Pulse, pulse detonator being up close skills(pulse should be a 10 meter skill mind you), but the rest like HiB should be a 30m. It's annoying now to be a pyro vangaurd, set a guy on fire with hammer shot, then have to run forwards to deliver HiB, or to use Arty barrage.

I mean this is completely asinine.