Sudden lack of voiced character lines in dialogue?

Emaraa

While I'm not new to SWTOR itself, I am relatively new to the two latest expansions, Knights of the Fallen Empire, and now Knights of the Eternal Throne, and I have some concerns after reaching a certain point in the story of Knights of the Fallen Empire.

- WARNING: Spoilers may be mentioned below, you have been warned -

After escaping Asylum on the Gravestone and being introduced to the new "Alliance" forces, I'm finding that dialogue with a number of NPCs is no longer voiced by my character, and the UI for conversation is boxed in by black to create a smaller window of focus. This came off as a very stark change from what I've grown used to playing in all the game's previous content, and it seems like a major downgrade from having my character actually speak in conversation.

As someone who's stepping into this content for the first time, I don't really enjoy the idea of my character becoming another voiceless MMO character like in other games, and I don't think I'd continue to play the newer expansions if this is a constant trend. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a permanent change to how conversations work, or is it only a few instances?

Edited by Emaraa
Typo

So far it's only the KotFE sidequests: companion recruitment and the mini-quests around the star fortresses

It's not much, and nothing important, but I agree that it's very disturbing to suddenly have a silent PC.

Edited by Mubrak

If this is for the quests which also don't have the radial dialogue menu and instead give you a numbered list, it's an intentional throwback to the original Knights of the Old Republic. It's only for those specific missions and not any great chunk of the game, so don't worry! I almost think there's a way to switch it to the regular mode, but I've never looked or tried. :)

it's an intentional throwback to the original Knights of the Old Republic.

Or so they told us. Behind the scenes it could also have been a means of saving the cost of having 16 voice actors come to the studio once a month for 30 minutes to record a handful of lines.

Edited by Mubrak

Or so they told us. Behind the scenes it could also have been a means of saving the cost of having 16 voice actors come to the studio once a month for 30 minutes to record a handful of lines.

No, since the VAs had to come to the studio anyway, you know, like, to record the story-scene lines.

No, the KOTOR-style dialogues are there so that they can have more than just three choices per menu. See, for example, Qyzen Fess's recruitment dialogues, where one of the menus has 17 different choices.

Curiously, *THE* cantina conversation in Chapter IX could have benefitted from a *menu* like that, although it would have had to have a voiced response by the player:

1. Koth, I'd like to talk to you

2. Theron, I'd like to talk to you

3. Lana, I'd like to talk to you

Followed in the same menu by whichever of these were relevant to the character:

*. [Flirt] Koth, I'd like to talk to you

*. [Flirt] Theron, I'd like to talk to you

*. [Flirt] Lana, I'd like to talk to you