Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

A Letter/Thread for the Devs

KerrikStarr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you people insist on making more of these ' the galactic command system is bad ' threads!

there is no point anymore! they aint gonna remove it, , they have seen what people have said and they are making changes, they have clearly seen it all and they arnt removing it, they are making changes! so stopwith the gosh darn threads already and grow up! realize its here for the long term and either deal with it or unsub and leave...

If i may, the long term might not look like that good having dedicated and especially the paying players gone.

Not sure you'd like that outcome.

Reminds me of others changes brought to this game in the past. People like you where saying good riddance to the unhappy players. And there we are now with way less players... Right now I'm part of a quite large guild on a populated server and yet I had a hard time finding people to do all the HM FP. Imagine that with either/or on a less shiny server and without the support of nearly 500 players in the guild.

In the end each time a players quits everyone is loosing, from the most casual player to the devs and the investors.

For all the people who complain that they were getting kicked left and right by SWTOR elitists -

Vast majority of people in SWTOR do not kick for lack of achievements or even gear,unless it drags all group down and making boss enrage. Like 130 main hand on dps in Blood hunt.

And few elitist jerks that are in SWTOR will keep kicking you from their groups because they will try to grind cxp faster and you will slow them down.

New system is not there to help new players. Do not delude yourself with marketing tricks. It is about monetization of old content with options for further cash grab in future.

I see no problem with ‘casuals’ getting BiS gear. But I do see a huge problem in the OPs/Flashpoints not dropping tokens for gear. It’s something that should be rewarded for, yes? Right now OPs have zero incentive.

I guess people can say that ‘casuals’ don’t deserve the gear. I’m going to tilt my head here and ask ‘why, does it matter what gear they have?’ With this new system they’re grinding one way or another to get that gear, all it does is make it accessible for them. Albeit at a slower rate. Of course this isn’t the case right now, because those who run Ops aren’t getting crate drops at the rate they were promised in order to gear up.

The system allows casuals and the basic player to get the BiS gear so they feel like the playground is level and they can perhaps jump into an OP. I know when I first played I had a great fear of doing a raids due to elitist attitudes. There are some Ops I’ve never actually done due my friends leaving etc, and it’s just back to the whole ‘bah, why bother?’ I like being able to get BiS just by HM flashpoints, PvP, heroic spamming, the occasional PUG OP. I however expect my grind to be much longer as I don’t need BiS gear straight away. People who PvP and raid however? Yes, they need every little boost – or rather some do. I know others can jump into NiM and simply blitz through everything without a care. Good on them!

In short. I like the fact BiS gear is obtainable by everyone. People shouldn’t give a damn if a casual has BiS gear. PvP and Ops should be the most rewarding for command point experience. Ops/Flashpoint bosses should drop gear/tokens. It needs to be legacy wide.

P.S I wish there was more raiders out there who do take the time to teach the little guy OPs. I’ve done HM/NiM on some but haven’t touched others Ops. Sad really! Ah well. Too the future.

Found him. You do not deserve BIS gear for playing the story 70 times. You shouldn't get participation trophies. End game gear is for those who want to do the endgame. We expect you to have a decent understanding of not standing in stupid and know your class. If you don't know the boss, we will explain it. I've been raiding 2-3-4 times a week for the last year and I cant recall seeing anyone kicked unless they deserved it. If your server is dead and you really wanted to do endgame, switch servers. You also missed the point that there is vastly less reward for doing an ops vs doing literally anything else in the game for the time expended.

Just who in the heck are you to tell ME what I deserve in the game I pay for? End game isnt just Operations either, its max level PvP, its HM FPs, its whatever the heck I want MY endgame to be. Get over yourself for God's sake. I will be the one who determines what I deserve in the game I pay for.

And as a healer I can tell you I have never ever ever ever ever run into the same thing. I am up front, I say "I have not done this op before so if I need to do anything other than keep everyone alive and not stand in stupid let me know". I have been kicked 0 times. I have seen healers that have done the same thing kicked 0 times. Just because it happened 1 time to someone else does not mean it is the norm at least not on JC, EH or Harbinger.

That's because keeping out of the way and heal people is more or less what SWTOR encounters take as good play. Other MMOs put more pressure on healers though.

However if you play melee you can't just hop in, constantly walk into "death circles", wake CCed mobs and generally stand still hammering at the boss. Even ranged DPS need some attention, at a minimum (where mobs are not immune) they are required to know which to keep in CC, what to cast in order not to hit unwanted stuff and so on.

P.S I wish there was more raiders out there who do take the time to teach the little guy OPs. I’ve done HM/NiM on some but haven’t touched others Ops. Sad really! Ah well. Too the future.

The problem is, at least on my server (Ebon Hawk), a lot of those experienced and helpful people who were willing to do that (which I know because that's how I got into tackling hard endgame content) have left the game. When you don't get a new operation/FP for over two years, the people who mainly played the game for the endgame tend to get fed up and leave.

I'm a big star wars fan but I've canceled my subscription that I've had since launch

I would advise others that are unhappy with the direction of this game since KOTFE to do the same. Money is the only thing they will listen to and they won't be getting any more from me.

This is the feedback I've left them:

I've decided to cancel my subscription. I've been unhappy with the path you have chosen for this game since KOTFE. KOTET was the final straw for me.

For an MMO expansion I would expect a new planet to freely explore with daily quests and a reputation path to acquire new (cosmetic) stuff, a new raid, new flashpoints / warzones or at a minimum one of the above.

KOTET has NONE of the above. All we get are more boring chapters wich are fun to play through once and never return to them. Yes you can replay them now and choose difficulty setting but why in world would anyone want to that ? Each chapter is just 90% cutscene, 9% skytroopers appearing out of nowhere and 1% mildly challenging content.

The story is just a generic, one size fits all path where it doesn't matter if you're a smuggler, jedi knight or sith lord. The outcome is fixed anyway.

And the other new content is uprisings, which are just glorified H4 heroics. Since you nerfed the original heroics into oblivion in 4.0 that I can just solo them all with my companion.

Swtor has come to a sad state when In the past you have released patches with more content then this expansion.

Also putting the end game content behind subscription wall and making end game gearing based on RNG boxes is a terrible idea. You did this in the past, with pvp gear in champion/battlemaster boxes and people hated it, and yet you do it again. Do you not learn from past mistakes ?

And the vague promise of refocusing on group content for 2017 is just not enough for me. Many guids are bleeding dry and asking for raids, yet you refuse to say the word.

It was a fun ride and I've happily spent 1000s of euros on this game in the past (feel free to check if you like), but I can not justify paying any more to a company who is so out of touch with their player base.

Have you done veteran mode? Um that right there requires some effort so stop right there. I'm pretty sure you get squat if you AFK during PVP. You need to medal to get anything. Ranked pvp is for premade groups. no one wants solo pvpers joining the queue. If you can't handle the fact that other people may get what you get but through other means then leave. Simple as that. Stop worrying about what someone else has and how they acquired it (unless it was via an exploit) and just focus on yourself. You'll be happier in all aspects of life. It's like a construction worker or a nurse who spends 12 hrs on their feet working their butts off compared to an Executive who sits at a desk for 7-8 hrs, making 5 million more than they do. Is it fair that the Executive makes more money for sitting on his butt all day while nurses, teachers, and other workers don't even get proper lunch or toilet breaks and some make less than 50k? Meh, this is the world we live in. Focus on yourself, and not on others.

You're wrong about pvp. Now afk'ing completely will get you kicked probably but you really don't have to do much and you can just mess around get your CXP.

The point you are not understanding is that there is a difference between being rewarded for showing up and for achieving something. You basically say that people who show up and just dick around should be able to get the same rewards as someone who actually achieved something.

If you compare that to say school that would mean you think that someone who attends school should get the same diploma as someone who actually learns something and passes the exams. You're basically saying that if someone passes the exam for grade 1 six times, they should get the same diploma as the person who passes the exam for grade 6. I think it's a symptom of our times. Isaac Asimov once said:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Of course we are just talking about a computer game here, but if we compare skill to knowledge, we can say the same thing here. This has always been the issue because there is a valid point in saying that you only play the game to have fun. I think that the best solution would've been to have gear with other set bonuses with just some basic boosts drop in PvE that cannot be used in Operations and PvP. That would accomodate the players who just wanna do their thing and don't care about things like ops and pvp but still give them endgear and set bonuses to collect thereby giving the casual solo player something to put together.

It's a shame that SWTOR only has one set type per class spec and I think a lot of casual players would've been happy with having some sort of endgame gear of their own. Even rare legendary drops. Then ops and pvp can keep their progression gear. It's just an idea of course but what I'm saying is that you cannot reward casual play and progression play equally or in the same way without causing people to feel it's not fair, because it isn't. It devaluates any achievement people make. Another way to do it is to give people other types of rewards from beating harder content that is BoP. NiM has a couple of mounts but not many people have them. That by itself is good but there need to be more such rewards if you want to alleviate the inherent sense of unfairness people will feel when somebody does HM ops for a week and gets zero set bonus pieces and someone does SM Uprisings and Heroics and gets 2 set pieces in the same time.

You can't really explain that to people.

It would be good if HM and NiM bosses would drop more things that people can earn. Can be cosmetic, whatever. But something that makes people feel like they are actually rewarded for taking the trouble to get a group together and learn the fights and beat them.

Same goes for PvP, particularly ranked. Also there people need to feel it's rewarding, worth it. I'm not convinced this new set up feels rewarding overall unless you're lucky but it certainly doesn't really reward harder content, because as we know there's no guarantee that more boxes give you useful gear and you will also only get the same rewards as someone who only ever does SM Uprisings or bums around in PvP warzones ticking his team mates off like he don't care.

I want to be considerate towards various groups of players but not rewarding people for actually doing something challenging and difficult is also not a good thing.

Dear SWTOR Developers,

We've all read thread after thread explaining in depth why galactic command is a bad system. This is not that

thread. I'm making this to let you know how we all feel about the new system.

Its been POORLY RECEIVED at best.

]

Thread after thread by the same couple dozen swtor forum posters who cry about everything.

Everything is "poor received" according to the MINORITY which is these forums.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.