The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Shield Spec] - Gut vs Heavy Stock

CptArson

Any have thoughts on this?

I see Gut as a decent aggro tool considering it has no cooldown and does, on average, about the same damage as a non-spec'd Stockstrike. With that being said, and since I am a Sheild Van, Static Surge and Static Shield both give massive bonuses to Stockstrike (increased 30% increased Critical Chance and Critical Bonus; 50% chance to reset cooldown on Stockstrike).

So, take an additional 8% damage bonus to my Stockstrike or grab Gut for additional tab targeting aggro control?

Anyone tried either of these specs? Albeit you'll have to be L50 to try this spec but maybe someone here has.

Sample Gut Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMrrd0rogZMsr0o.1

Sample Heavy Stock Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMrrd0rogZMsRZb.1

Edited by CptArson

please with all the gear i have with +aim on it, that talent is w/e. Any ways i stack more end then aim for tanking so its not really worth it. Harder hitting HIB = more threat.

Aim makes everything hit harder though.

this is the spec im going for.

get both an improved stockstrike and gut. hold more aggo.

Drop Ion Shield for +Steely Resolve

If you run the numbers of Ion Shield it is one of the worst talents in our tree - not worth 2 points at all...It looks appealing cause your a tank and anything that makes ya take less damage looks awesome, but really, its not...

Edited by Trevalon

For HS vs Gut: Gut is going to cost you more ammo than HS but it's spamable and give you another option when gut is on cool down. If you can keep your ammo up go with Gut. If you start having ammo problems, switch to HS.

For HS vs Gut: Gut is going to cost you more ammo than HS but it's spamable and give you another option when gut is on cool down. If you can keep your ammo up go with Gut. If you start having ammo problems, switch to HS.

yeah ammo isn't a problem for me since i dont spam all my abilits. ill use stockstrike and gut also mostly for the Debuff and hammershot in between my rotation.

Drop Ion Shield for +Steely Resolve

If you run the numbers of Ion Shield it is one of the worst talents in our tree - not worth 2 points at all...It looks appealing cause your a tank and anything that makes ya take less damage looks awesome, but really, its not...

Maybe for leveling...when doing higher group stuff take the DR.

Maybe for leveling...when doing higher group stuff take the DR.

Have you done the math on that? Even at High levels?

Lets say your doing an Operation - Say Eternity Vault...

Then lets say the boss does 500,000 damage to you over the course of the fight...

For 2 points you gain 2% damage reduction so lets do the math:

500,000 X .02 = 10,000 damage - 10,000 damage over the course of a 8-10 minute fight...which saves about 3-4 big heals from healers (Less if they Crit).

So for your 2 points you saved a healer 3-4 casts over the course of a 8+ minute fight...

Is that really worth 2 full talent points to you? It's not going to save your life, and the amount of healing saved is miniscule for a long fight...

I'll take Steely Resolve for the extra damage (That scales much better) and threat...

Edited by Trevalon

please with all the gear i have with +aim on it, that talent is w/e. Any ways i stack more end then aim for tanking so its not really worth it. Harder hitting HIB = more threat.

Uh, really? Aim is your most important stat and your saying "Oh I have enough Aim already"

No, sir, you can never have enough Aim ...And that Talent keeps scaling as your aim goes up...

Have you done the math on that? Even at High levels?

Then lets say the boss does 500,000 damage to you over the course of the fight...

For 2 points you gain 2% damage reduction so lets do the math:

500,000 X .02 = 10,000 damage - 10,000 damage over the course of a 8-10 minute fight...which saves about 3-4 big heals from healers (Less if they Crit).

That's not how you calculate damage reduction. It's effective bonus is more than it's numerical, and a fixed value bonus actually becomes better as you increase your passive armor mitigation.

Take an unmitigated 10,000 hit.

50% mitigation pre-talent = 5000 damage taken

52% mitigation = 4800 damage taken

You just took 4% less damage then you would have otherwise.

Now lets up pre-talent mitigation

70% mitigation pre-talent = 3000 damage taken

72% mitigation = 2800 damage taken

That means 7% less damage taken when compared to skipping those talents.

Uh, really? Aim is your most important stat and your saying "Oh I have enough Aim already"

No, sir, you can never have enough Aim ...And that Talent keeps scaling as your aim goes up...

If you are tanking you should stack end over aim. Since all gear gives enough aim to actually hold threat i dont see it has a big thing to spend my talents on. i take def talent over offensive talent any day as a tank.

Hi!

I was wondering, cant you get both?

Is the Shield Generator realy that effective?

Do we have any statistics on the effect of using Shield for tanking?

How much it actualy helps healers keep up our health.

How effective is it against other players skills (in PvP).

(i know its kinda the point with the tree, using shield and protect us)

If you focus on High Threat, Armor, Defense and Endurance will that not balance out the lack of Shield Rating and help us instead with both damage and soaking up those nasty situations when bosses go on a crit streak or in PvP.

I come to think of this build 28/11/2

Would be great if someone High End could verify if this realy gimps your Vanguard or not.