The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Firestorm hitting for way too much, Flame Engine proc also not working correctly

Chemists

Decided to do a little testing today on the combat dummy, turns out Firestorm for PT Tanks hits for more than a fully buffed Searing Wave in Pyrotech. Even more ridiculous Firestorm is hitting for more than a 4 stack auto crit Energy Burst in Advanced Prototype.

Link to parses (note: all are done in the same gear)

Shield Tech: http://parsely.io/parser/view/217926/0 - Firestorm max hit: 27,415

Advanced Prototype: http://parsely.io/parser/view/217550/0 - Energy Burst max hit: 24,745

Pyrotech: http://parsely.io/parser/view/217937/0 - Searing Wave max hit: 12,929

One last note is that the Flame Engine proc is not working the way it is supposed to, it is still consuming heat with the proc.

Your Shield Tech DpS, according to parse: 5812.86

Advanced Prototype: 8073.36

Pyrotech: 7588.9

Looks as expected when you compare the game's worst tank class with his two DpS-brethren.

Firestorm is more or less the only ability a Shieldtech has to do serious damage.

The rest of his abilities merely tickle, compared with those of the two DpS disciplines.

So I don't think Shieldtechs should be nerfed even further, by taking away their one 10-meter-ability that does not totally suck.

BTW: you used neither using Shatter Slug and Ordnance Onslaught. What's the reason for that?

Your Shield Tech DpS, according to parse: 5812.86

Advanced Prototype: 8073.36

Pyrotech: 7588.9

Looks as expected when you compare the game's worst tank class with his two DpS-brethren.

Firestorm is more or less the only ability a Shieldtech has to do serious damage.

The rest of his abilities merely tickle, compared with those of the two DpS disciplines.

So I don't think Shieldtechs should be nerfed even further, by taking away their one 10-meter-ability that does not totally suck.

BTW: you used neither using Shatter Slug and Ordnance Onslaught. What's the reason for that?

I guess the point of this post was to point out that Searing Wave for Pyro needs to be buffed more so than Firestorm for tanks needs to be nerfed.

Also why in the hell would I use Shatter Slug and Deadly Onslaught on the dummy as a tank, using its previous version (Death from Above. which was way stronger) single target as a tank was a direct DPS loss, also I have no clue why you'd use Shatter Slug single target either as Flame Burst does more damage and costs the same heat.

Also why in the hell would I use Shatter Slug and Deadly Onslaught on the dummy as a tank, using its previous version (Death from Above. which was way stronger) single target as a tank was a direct DPS loss, also I have no clue why you'd use Shatter Slug single target either as Flame Burst does more damage and costs the same heat.

Why? For two reasons:

1. because hammering away at a dummy is not necessarily the same as tanking in the game, where more often than not, you have to deal with groups of mobs as well. Uprisings e.g. like to throw them at you in waves, and then the tank needs to get their attention, and help dispatch them. That requires AoE attacks.

Theoretical max. DpS of a tank against a single boss-level target is one factor in evaluating class changes, but IMHO not the only one. ALso using AoE attacks when working a dummy gives a broader picture of what 5.0 did to Shieldtechs.

2. Shatter Slug and Deadly Onslaught indeed suck, compared to their predecessors. If you include them on the dummy, that point could be proven as well.