High Shader Complexity Issue

jescritora

Hi!

I recently updated the game to the new patch (5.0) and everything seems to be working fine... except for the way high shader complexity affects some characters' faces. It looks almost like the textures on their faces are spasming or being smudged. So far with my new Knight it has only happened to a few characters. Master Orgus seems to be the biggest perpetrator, followed by the Jedi who offers a quest at the training grounds.

(EDIT: Based on my and others' observations, it appears that the problem lies with male human head #2. No other faces/heads have this problem so far.)

When I set shader complexity to Low, the problem goes away.

I have Bloom/Depth of Field enabled and all settings on High except for Shadow Quality, which is off. I'm currently running the client/game with Windows XP compatibility and running as administrator. My graphics driver is Intel 520 on Windows 10.

These settings have been working fine up until yesterday's patch update, so I'm assuming it has something to do with that...

Thank you! :)

Edited by jescritora

There's something wrong with the graphics/texture/shadows. My video card fan kicks in at character select, fleet and strongholds. I have turned all shadows down to minimum. It never did that before. The 5.0 patch notes said they optimized the graphics and the shadows will cost less. I think the opposite happened. It's frustrating since we're not getting any acknowledgement on anything right now. In my opinion BW is waiting and collecting all the stuff as we "beta" test the new changes. :( At least I hope that's why they're so quiet on all the bugs. I've made my own thread about the graphics issues but it gets drowned out by all the other stuff. I hope BW is on their game with 5.0 bugs and what not. Edited by Zerileth

Nope, looks better and runs much smoother for me on high than it used to.

It's your hardware or drivers probably.

So in 4.0 a few days ago everything was fine and after 5.0 I need to update my graphic drivers because Bioware optimized the shadows to "cost less?" Really? The shadows cost less so I need to get better drivers?

Btw, I checked and drivers are all up to date. I'm guessing you have a high end system and it's just not taxing your computer enough to notice.

So I was right in thinking they changed some things with the graphics in this new update... I have my graphics driver up to date, too, so I guess it just can't handle the changes or something.

It's great that they wanted to improve the graphics (I love a lot of the changes they made, too), though it's a shame that the shadows are doing that now. I was making a personal movie of the cutscenes and the high shader complexity made it look much better on camera! I guess I will have to wait until the issue is addressed, if at all.

BTW, noob question: What does it mean for shadows to "cost less"?

Thanks for your input, guys!

Edited by jescritora

I've been having this issue as well. Not sure what has happened, all my drivers are up to date and the game is optimised by Nvidia's standards. I know it's not my rig, this thing can play the newest games out on high/very high/ultra. Fallout, Witcher, etc

I'm going to poke around see what the issue is.

I'm currently playing the game with high/very high settings. And before the patch there was no issue. I'm loving the graphical update - but the shading smudge kills it for me.

I should note that it's actually my own characters that have this issue. I'm not sure if it's there skin tone or not as I tend to have characters who are 17+ on the skin tone. On my JK this happened constantly during the newest expansion. On my new inquisitor, straight off the ship.

Edited by StarkHelsing

Ah, fixed it on my end after reinstalling drivers and all that jazz. I had to sadly low the high shader complexity to low. That fixed it. o.O Apparently it was over doing it on high. This sucks, as the game looks horrific to me on low shade/rendering. I'm not experiencing lag, or my graphics card under heavy performance - everything else seems to be fine in the terms of graphics accept the detail on my characters - and some NPCs faces. It's very selective.

I find it very hard to believe that this games shade complexity was outperforming fallout 4 or ESO for that matter. Something isn't right here.

Added note, my graphics card wasn't on any heavy stress nor did it start to heat up while running the shader on high. I jumped onto fallout 4 with high graphics, ran around and everything was just peachy. No blur.

Note; tested with two graphics cards. Gtx 770 and GTX 1070

Edited by StarkHelsing

I should note that it's actually my own characters that have this issue. I'm not sure if it's there skin tone or not as I tend to have characters who are 17+ on the skin tone. On my JK this happened constantly during the newest expansion. On my new inquisitor, straight off the ship.

Hmm... What kind of faces do your characters have? Maybe it's the type of face that makes the shading go all wonky, particularly male ones. It never happens on any of my female characters, only some male NPCs.

So did reinstalling the drivers help at all? Or was it just turning the shader to Low? So far that seems to be the only thing to help, and it's not a big deal to do that, but like you, I quite like having the setting on High. :)

Thanks for investigating!

It's a issue with human head 2, all the players and NPC's that use human head 2 have this issue. The update added more facial animations, like frown lines and eye wrinkles in cutscenes. The same head that's used by other races don't have this issue, just the human version. In cutscenes you'll see reddish or white smears where you should be seeing wrinkles and frown lines.

Also I've found issues with shader complexity setting itself to very low, even when high has been selected in settings menu. You can walk from one room to another and the shader settings set to low, then reset back to high when you've moved away from the affected area. It also happens in cutscenes. I'm playing the Asylum chapter in KotFE where i've had the most issues with the shaders so far.

Edited by spacemonkey

It's a issue with human head 2, all the players and NPC's that use human head 2 have this issue. The update added more facial animations, like frown lines and eye wrinkles in cutscenes. The same head that's used by other races don't have this issue, just the human version. In cutscenes you'll see reddish or white smears where you should be seeing wrinkles and frown lines.

I can conirm that. With my Agent, use head 2, I have that issue in every cutscene so I can't get him through kotet!

Please fix this

And rewatching some recording I did yesterday shows me, that all npc with Head 2 have that problem. I guess it's not a problem caused of my hardware ^^

I can conirm that. With my Agent, use head 2, I have that issue in every cutscene so I can't get him through kotet!

Please fix this

And rewatching some recording I did yesterday shows me, that all npc with Head 2 have that problem. I guess it's not a problem caused of my hardware ^^

Confirming that this is indeed the issue. It's the human head 2.

Sent in a in game bug report and just keep getting nonsense copy and paste.

Edited by StarkHelsing

Yep, my head 2 outlander has weird shadows as well. Sometimes looking like he's been beaten (which I suppose is fine considering he gets beaten all the time in game) but sometimes it's just green and weirdly shiny. Tried tweaking the game/comp settings but the cutscenes remain the same?

Annoying. Wanted to record my game play so I guess thank goodness for replay if and when this gets fixed.

Yep, my head 2 outlander has weird shadows as well. Sometimes looking like he's been beaten (which I suppose is fine considering he gets beaten all the time in game) but sometimes it's just green and weirdly shiny. Tried tweaking the game/comp settings but the cutscenes remain the same?

Annoying. Wanted to record my game play so I guess thank goodness for replay if and when this gets fixed.

It's not your system, the only thing you can do your end is eat the 80cc charge and change your characters head.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm glad we finally figured out a good bit of the problem. I went ahead and added that human head #2 is the culprit to the original post.

Thanks also for submitting a ticket about it. (I remember reading something about tickets disappearing because they are being elevated to a team for them to look at it, but I'm not sure if it's still relevant.) I hope we hear an answer about it soon! (My personal movie with high shaders still awaits... :) )

Edited by jescritora

Is there a plan to work an a patch to fix these issue? Would be great if someone can talk to us :) Want to play my Agent WITH head 2 and not forced to change his appearance. I love head 2 and i did all my reordings with that and will finished his story :) Please admins, give us a hint that you already noticed the issue :)

I got a response from my ticket which magically reappeared!

This is what i was told to do;

• Close the launcher

• Navigate to the main game install folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic)

• Delete the folder named BitRaider

• Restart the launcher and let it scan your files.

• Once completed it should force a repair and you can play again without any pesky shadow issues.

This sadly does nothing. It didn't fix my issue with my character, nor did my launcher scanner find anything amiss.

Sending in another ticket explaining that this isn't a solution.