Constant Crashing

AwkwardGinger

Dear Bioware,

Ever since 4.7 dropped, I have experienced increasing amounts of crashing to desktop. No error message of any kind. Every time you patch, the crashes become more often. The following things set it off:

Conversations

Heroic Transports

Flagship Summons

Going anywhere in the old world (Pre-Oricon)

Travelling to Strongholds/Guild Ships

Sometimes for no reason whatseover.

I've now crashed 3 times trying to do one set of Alderaan heroics.

I have reinstalled the game. I have reinstalled my video drivers. I have done everything I can think of. Any solutions out there?

I'm trying to raid nightmare here, but I crash 20% of the time I load into the instances, and god forbid if I left something in the guild bank!

I've been waiting for a fix and none has appeared. I'm apparently not the only person with this issue, from those I've talked to.

Anyone have a fix?

Edited by AwkwardGinger

Exactly same problem I'm suffering from currently.

Although, an error message occurs to me from time to time. I don't remember it exactly now, because as I said, it doesn't appear always. If I don't misremember, it should be something like C12 Error. But, game just returns to the desktop without no message mosf of the time.

And this happens at times just like you said. Before entering conversations, and most of all, for me, during the loading time when I travel to a new planet.

It really ruins the game experience, and I have also tried all these suggestions, but unfortunatelly none of them do any good. I believe that this is just because we have "potato" computers. I am playing tOR since 1 month with my 3 other buddies and they don't encounter with such a problem and their computers are better than mine. Mine is also quite old, around 6 years old.

Edited by Yurnerocit

This is not the best place to post - see http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=877258

AwkwardGinger

May be best creating a thread at http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en and attach a dxdiag per this - http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/td-p/4832663/jump-to/first-unread-message can get a basic idea of hardware and recent crash reports from that.

Yurnerocit see the following thread regarding C12 error for example -

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/SWTOR-ERROR-C12/m-p/4894013

Hey, thank you for your concern. I will definitely try this when I returned to home.

Nevertheless, I am quite confused with your reply over there, on EA Answer HQ. You told the guy to repair the utility located "here" where the link connects you to "launcher cannot patch itself" thread.

God bless, my launcher works fine (yet). But, its running with that streaming thing on as ST letters pop up everytime I run the launcher. So, should I also try this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729911

Edited by Yurnerocit

That repair utility is for repairing launcher files and is recomended for the C12 error, the repair link you have is for repairing game files they are separate.

C12 is most common on a 32bit OS rather then 64bit

If the game file repair doesnt help try the repair utility as linked.

C12 is specifically a streaming launcher issue, so if this persists swapping to non streaming is an option but it requires a new game install.

see how you go first with the game repair and the launcher repair utility most times one of these will sort it

Edited by OwenBrooks

Nah, these two solutions (reparing utilities and game files) didn't work out for me.

So, I will try to switch to non-streaming launcher as per this link: http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417

I have also checked the other thread open by ToastedKellog.

Apart from switching to non-streaming launcher, you guys also found out another possible solution which requires to update some C++ files. It seems like this (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638) helped ToastedKellog.

Edited by Yurnerocit

ToastedKellog was a specific crash after character selection 100% of the time on the next loading screen, crash reports was pointing to SpeedTreeRT.dll in the dxdiag.

So his solution will be unique to that issue.

That is why more information is better to find a cause, especially if the default repair steps etc dont help.

Switching to non streaming should solve C12 issue for you as that is a bitraider specific error code

Edited by OwenBrooks

ToastedKellog was a specific crash after character selection 100% of the time on the next loading screen

Ah, okay. I missed that point on that thread then. But maybe it will be helpful on my case too..

Unfortunatelly there isn't any other details that I haven't shared regarding my case. As Awkward said in his very early post, most of the times my game just crashes randomly during these actions again listed by Awkward. And, most of the time I haven't received any error message. Maybe I got C12 message only for 2 or 3 times. Other times game crashes without any notification..

Maybe the most specific detail in my case is this problem occurs to me when my game tries to load bigger and more complex planets like Tatooine and Alderaan. For example, my game works without crashing for hours this weekend, after I deleted config folder and other .xlf files. But, the first time I pay a visit to Tatooine, game crashed again.

Thats the reason why I said maybe this is happening as our computers are potato computers in my early posts. Here is another detail: One of my fellow buddies didn't want to download the game files from the internet and directly copied and pasted my game files to his computer. So, if this is happening due to some corrupted game files, why my friend's game is working fine.

Though he downloaded the launcher on its own.. But, I have also run the utility checks you told against my launcher couldn't update itself properly.. Thus I am also confused about what to do :rak_02:

Edited by Yurnerocit

Bad news..

Game still continues to kick me back to the desktop. I have followed every procedure correctly to turn back to non-streaming launcher. There is no more "ST" letters on the bottom left side, but when I tried to visit Tatooine yesterday, to participate in Rakghoul event, game crashed again without any error message coming up. During the early stages of planet loading screen, it stops loading and then after 7-8 seconds game just closed itself. Thus, I have to relogin and try to reload the planet and again and again and.. :jawa_frown:

Edited by Yurnerocit

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor with the game closed and delete just the file called diskcachearena

I would also do a clean install of the video drivers at this point as well

If you press the windows key and type reliability , open the reliability monitor and see if any crash errors are recorded