Beginners Guide - Learning How To Keybind

sam-marc

Hello folks!

My name is Sam, I run the YouTube channel SWTOR Central.

I decided to make a beginners guide to Keybinding video to help players who have no experience with keybinding and are wanting to learn using an easy method.

If you would prefer the video format, then please visit here:

If you prefer to read, then go ahead and continue reading :D

Okay, so I myself was a pointer and a clicker when I first started out playing MMO's. I found it VERY hard to figure out a method to use for keybinding, I just couldn't get use it and would fall back to pointing and clicking.

But then it occured to me that, there are so many keys on my keyboard I am already use to using on a regular basis. So why not adapt those into my keybinds for my abilities? I tried it out, and it sure as hell worked since I haven't looked back. This was almost 3 years ago. Been a keybinder ever since.

So, how did I do it? This is simple, the trick is to use keys you are already familiar with. Such as W,A,S,D. We more than likely use these for movement. So I combined the ALT key with W,A,S,D and all of a sudden I had 4 keybinds which were easy to remember / use. I even set them up on my quickbar the exact same way they look on my keyboard, so it felt even simpler and less confusing. This was huge for me, with this I was able to settle into keybinding and eventually add new binds to the mix.

I later added in, holding down the Left Shift key with W,A,S,D. And then later added Q,E. All of these keys were so easy to use it was unreal.

The best advice I can give for anyone just starting out, look back at other games you play on your PC. What keys do you need to use in those games? Chances are you're familliar with those keys, so perhaps it's time to adapt them into SWTOR.

I hope you find this useful! And by all means, if you have some more advice to add to this then please do so. Thank you for reading and good luck keybinding!

I prefer using E, S, D, F for movement. It's the same keys as WASD, but shifted one key to the right.. I do this for two reasons.

1. Placement. Many keyboards have an indentation for the F-key. Thus the key will tell you that you are in the right place. And if you spend any time typing on your keyboard, this is where you will rest your fingers when you do.

2. Reach. You can reach more keys by having your fingers in this position than you would with WASD.

Edited by Dragondog