Guild name expired

ArkonCh

I logged into one of my characters recently to find that the guild name of my guild had "expired".

When I try to rename the guild to what it was it says the name is not available.

Why did I lose the name and how can I get it back?

The guild name was "section nine" on TRE imp side.

I send a ticket ingame but it got closer without answering or solving anything, it refered me to a general page about guilds.

• 2 years later...

It's not about rule violations.

If a guild goes "free to play" because all members are non-subscribers, *and* every member stays inactive for long enough(0), the (dead)(1) guild's name will be made available for other guilds to use.

The old name is unavailable because a different guild chose it (possibly without even realising it was previously the name of your guild), *or* perhaps because the same named guild from one of the other servers yours got merged with got it.

(0) No, I don't know how long that is. My best guess would be either 28 or 90 days, but that's no more than speculation.

(1) Or at least comatose.

My best guess would be either 28 or 90 days, but that's no more than speculation.
You need to log in the Guildmaster character at least every 30 days to keep the Guildmaster position, so it wouldn't make sense to have the guild "expire" at only 28 days. Plus, I know from experience it's longer than 30 dfays before the guild gets "expired" and the name made available to others, because I have had a character "lose" the leadership of my "guild of one" on SF more than once, and had it transfer to whichever of my other characters in that guild I logged into at some point beyond 30 days.

(I log in on Character B and get a chat message saying, "Character A set your rank to Guildmaster". And then I promote Character A back to Guildmaster - and remind myself to 1: log in more frequently, and 2: log in to Character A before any others. Speaking of which ...)

Edit:

Then again, since I'm a subscriber, does that mean the guild would never "expire", regardless of how long I go between logins, so long as my sub never lapses? That would be a real drag if any other folks out there wanted to start a guild with the name I'm essentially "squatting" on.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

You need to log in the Guildmaster character at least every 30 days to keep the Guildmaster position, so it wouldn't make sense to have the guild "expire" at only 28 days. Plus, I know from experience it's longer than 30 dfays before the guild gets "expired" and the name made available to others, because I have had a character "lose" the leadership of my "guild of one" on SF more than once, and had it transfer to whichever of my other characters in that guild I logged into at some point beyond 30 days.

As I said, the figures I cited were pure speculation. I don't think there's any practical way to test it. (That said, it's the sort of research that people do for the official(1) GW1 and GW2 wikis, so there is precedent for it.)

Edit:

Then again, since I'm a subscriber, does that mean the guild would never "expire", regardless of how long I go between logins, so long as my sub never lapses? That would be a real drag if any other folks out there wanted to start a guild with the name I'm essentially "squatting" on.

Hard to say without input from BioWare staff.

(1) Official ==> hosted by ArenaNet, the games' developer-publisher. The content of the wikis is written by the players, based on the game, not by ArenaNet. If you look around the history of pages on those wikis, you'll find updates by "cynique", and that person is currently sitting at my keyboard writing this post. (No, I'm not account-sharing...)

I've never heard of a guild name expiring due to time. Seems strange they would do that when they don't with character names.

It sounds more like you may have lost the guild name during the last round of server merges. Since you mention the guild being on TRE it sounds like it has not been active since the merges happened.

http://dulfy.net/2017/10/02/swtor-united-forces-update-server-merges/

If your Guild name overlaps with another Guild name; each will have the name of the original server appended to the original Guild name.

Ex: Your Guild “The Jedi Order” from the server The Bastion collides with, “The Jedi Order” from The Harbinger; the Guild names will now appear as:

The Jedi Order – The Bastion

The Jedi Order – The Harbinger

Post-update, if either Guild goes inactive, disbands, or is renamed, the other Guild’s name will return to its original form – “The Jedi Order.”

So a guild from another server that was not inactive got the original name. There is nothing you can do about this unless you locate the guild leader and convince them to rename their guild for 3k CC or ~100m credits on GTN (on Darth Malgus). Even if that guild has gone inactive now you still won't get the name back until BW do another inactive name purge and the only time I remember them doing that was for character names.

So a guild from another server that was not inactive got the original name. There is nothing you can do about this unless you locate the guild leader and convince them to rename their guild for 3k CC or ~100m credits on GTN (on Darth Malgus). Even if that guild has gone inactive now you still won't get the name back until BW do another inactive name purge and the only time I remember them doing that was for character names.

That question of "inactive" is exactly what I was driving at - a guild where none of the member *characters* is logging in over an extended period.

I remember that the first time I saw anything about this was six or seven months *before* the mergers, where someone was in danger of becoming the next Tracer Missile Guy about his guild's name.

You need to log in the Guildmaster character at least every 30 days to keep the Guildmaster position...

See this screenshot I took a while back. Now it's possible the previous GM's subscription had expired and as a subscriber my toon got the auto-promotion to GM due to that. I've no way to tell if that was the reason my toon got auto-promoted to GM or it was because the previous GM had not logged into the toon for 28 days. The documentation for these kind of things is sorely lacking.