Did Darth Bane win?

bfishback

I just finished reading the last of the Darth Bane trilogy (incredibly epic btw), and was a bit confused at the ending.

*spoilers if you haven't read it*

I was kinda disappointed when it seemed like Zannah won, but the last few lines indicate that Bane might have actually won. Now obviously I went to wookiepedia to see if who won, but it just says that Zannah won, but a part of Bane was still inside her. Now I don't see how they could come to that conclusion unless there was some other story that was released, so is it true that Zannah beat Bane in the final battle of will?

The author, Drew Karpyshyn, made a post clarifying this on his website, apparently it confused quite a lot of people. He said that Zannah won, but part of Bane's essence was inside her, hence the hand thing. He said it wasn't meant to be a hint that he took over her body or anything along those lines.

You know, as a big fan of Bane it was a little sad to see him go but think of it this way: this was exactly what he wanted the Sith order to become so he still met his goal. I don't know if pride is the right word, but I'd think somewhere in him was a small amount of it, or maybe happiness.

According to the writer, Drew Karpyshyn himself, Zannah indeed won. Detailed proof.

Honestly, I felt the same way after finishing. As much as I enjoyed Bane as a character, I felt that for him to win would be a bit of a cop-out. I didn't want to read an eventual Zannah novel where it was simply Bane in her identity. I was looking forward to Zannah's rise to power, and the end felt too ambiguous. After reading Mr. Karpyshyn's explanation, however, I reread the series and it made a heck of a lot more sense.

The author, Drew Karpyshyn, made a post clarifying this on his website, apparently it confused quite a lot of people. He said that Zannah won, but part of Bane's essence was inside her, hence the hand thing. He said it wasn't meant to be a hint that he took over her body or anything along those lines.

You know, as a big fan of Bane it was a little sad to see him go but think of it this way: this was exactly what he wanted the Sith order to become so he still met his goal. I don't know if pride is the right word, but I'd think somewhere in him was a small amount of it, or maybe happiness.

I know, while reading I realized that even if Bane lost I'd still be partially happy, because his apprentice surpassing him and carrying on the Sith legacy is what he wanted most.

Still saddening to see him go, he is definitely one of my favorite characters in all of the Star Wars lore.