The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

collection unlock for pieces of an armor set

Rolodome

To put it simply: Sometimes I only want one or two pieces from an armor set, but if I want access on all of my characters, that means I need to pay to get the full set and pay to unlock the full set... sometimes for one piece of armor.

I would like the option to unlock a set by piece. The CC collection unlock cost would have to be a fraction of the cost of unlocking the whole set or it's not going to be worth it (best would probably be, for example, 1/6 of the cost if the set is 6 pieces). And then you can add on a tiny bit of extra, to put in that encouragement of "it's cheaper overall if you unlock the whole set at once." Sort of like how crate prices work, but in reverse. I'm sure the cartel team will know what I'm getting at. Example: Normal cost for gold full set is 400 CC, full set is 6 pieces. To unlock 1 piece, you pay 400/6 = 66.6 rounded up to 70. 70*6 is 420, so you're paying 20 CC extra if you do it piece by piece.

Not to mention the CC profit you can gain if somebody unlocks 1 piece and then later wants to avoid the hassle of multiple individual unlock clicks and unlocks the rest of the set all at once (which would stay at the original unlock price). Now you're getting 400 CC + 70 = 470 CC.

My problem more or less comes down to this: I like mixing and matching outfits, but sometimes I just plain don't like certain pieces in a set or I'm only looking for one piece out of a set. I'm now competing not just with other people like myself, but also with alllll of the RP / simple fashion use types who buy a full set, slap it on, and call it a day. I'm competing with them to get a full set, when all I really want unlocked is that one or two pieces. Which means I'm making life worse for them and they're making life worse for me.

Let me get out of their way and have more control over what I want unlocked.

Finally, I hate myself for saying it, but I know it'll be more monetarily appealing to you (ugh)... if you want to do it by average popularity of item type, you could do it something like this and it might still be tolerable (using a 6 piece gold set, 400 CC, as an example):

- Upper body = 100 CC per piece

- Lower body = 70 CC per piece

- Supplementary = 40 CC per piece

i.e. 100+100+70+70+40+40 = 420

or instead of just individual pieces to unlock just have each piece count seperately and doesn't have to be all on the same character, IE: Boots on one, Greaves on other both bound from LvD packs, but both highlight in the set while the other pieces are still greyed out

The point of the collection system is to require people to buy the whole set. Take the Sensuous set on the harbinger. The majority of people who unlock the Sensuous set do so for the top. If you could unlock only the top, then people would buy the top and the value of the rest of the set would plummet. By requiring players to acquire all the set piece, BW increases the value of the whole set, which is why each set of the Sensuous set is selling for tens of millions on the GTN.

The debate isn't about the cost of CC to unlock, but the cost in credits. What you suggest is a way to avoid paying the tens of millions of extra credits to fully unlock an outfit. The Sensuous top is selling for plus 70 million on the trade broker and many of the other components are selling for plus 40 million on the harbinger. To fully unlock the set, the player would have to spend more than 150 million credits to unlock the set. Essentially what you want is way to unlock a specific set to avoid paying the tens of millions of credits by only paying a minuscule amount of cartel coins.

If you want to avoid paying the credits in game to buy all set pieces, then BW could add a single unlock that takes into account the average cost in CC to fully unlock the set if you were to buy packs and open them.

Edited by Knockerz

The point of the collection system is to require people to buy the whole set. Take the Sensuous set on the harbinger. The majority of people who unlock the Sensuous set do so for the top. If you could unlock only the top, then people would buy the top and the value of the rest of the set would plummet. By requiring players to acquire all the set piece, BW increases the value of the whole set, which is why each set of the Sensuous set is selling for tens of millions on the GTN.

The debate isn't about the cost of CC to unlock, but the cost in credits. What you suggest is a way to avoid paying the tens of millions of extra credits to fully unlock an outfit. The Sensuous top is selling for plus 70 million on the trade broker and many of the other components are selling for plus 40 million on the harbinger. To fully unlock the set, the player would have to spend more than 150 million credits to unlock the set. Essentially what you want is way to unlock a specific set to avoid paying the tens of millions of credits by only paying a minuscule amount of cartel coins.

If you want to avoid paying the credits in game to buy all set pieces, then BW could add a single unlock that takes into account the average cost in CC to fully unlock the set if you were to buy packs and open them.

No, the whole point of what I'm asking is that it's silly for me to have to pay for pieces that I don't want and may never use. It also pits me, someone who is highly into mixing and matching, in unnecessary competition with most players (people just buy a full outfit and slap it on). It hurts both of us.

Are there sets where people mostly want one item out of them? Probably. Is that the case for most sets? I seriously doubt it. Most of them are heavily themed and are appealing based on their theme.