SLI / Crossfire Support - Has it changed/improved?

TX_Angel

I recently replaced my main desktop monitors and I'm thinking of getting a second video card to help with performance, rather than upgrade to something faster...

I currently have a single GeForce GTX 980 TI and the 1080 is faster, but not THAT much faster, so instead of doing that, I was thinking of putting a second 980 TI in and running in SLI since they can now be found for under $400.

Does SWTOR support SLI? Does it provide much improvement?

I searched and found a bunch of threads and topics from 2-4 years ago, but nothing current, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone notices a difference today.

---

Side note: Yes, I'm fully aware that CPU power is the primary driver of performance, my CPU is a i7-4770k overclocked to 4.4GHz, the reason I'm looking for more GPU power is I now have 3x 4k panels on my desk and at a bezel corrected resolution of 11896x2160 I have 25.6 million pixels to render...

And frankly performance is dreadful :(

Even on low detail it isn't great, turning the detail up turns the game into a slide show.

Stick to single card with TOR. I have messed with crossfire and single card in past and there is no change in performance. Actually may run slightly better with a single card.

Opps missed the multi monitor part. Not sure there. SLI may be an improvement for you. I've yet to mess with multi monitor setups.

Edited by Vyerix

UPDATE:

Wow, what a difference... SLI was useless, so I borrowed a EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW card from a friend, completely new experience...

My old card was the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI SuperClocked, you wouldn't think this would make a massive difference, but the game is now playable on three 4k screens at over 25 million pixels, and at ultra detail no less! Note, I did turn off AA (why bother at 4k), and turned of shadows, but otherwise everything is at max, story and GSF are smooth at 60fps... Warzones are still horrible, but that is the game, not the computer :)

Of course, he wants his card back tomorrow, but I thought I'd just report what a difference this card made, I'll have to order one once I find one in stock... Clearly either the total RAM amount, or memory bandwidth, or perhaps just raw compute power, was the difference...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.