Black screen upon exiting SWTOR to desktop please help!!!

LordSidon

Okay this is a new problem that I've just noticed within the last three weeks. Everytime I run SWTOR in fullscreen mode, (along with any other fullscreen game) and I try to ALT-TAB out of it or even click "Quit" on the in-game pause menu and then click "Quit" again when it goes to the character selection screen, the game crashes and a black screen appears where the only thing I can operate is my mouse cursor. CTRL-ALT-DELETE doesn't work to escape this, it just gives an error message, so the only thing I can do is physically push the power button to shut the laptop down manually and reboot it. This is incredibly inconvenient and probably could damage my laptop's data, as I know you aren't supposed to shut down a computer like that. I'm hoping someone here can help me. In advance, thank you for any responses and have a nice day.

LordSidon

This happens to me if I have a particularly long gaming session with any MMO. Since I usually have a window open in the background for alt-tabbing to look something up, I just tab up the window and tab it down and everything's fine.

• 1 month later...
I am having the same issue, I hear its because of the new graphics card driver. I am running a 1080 SLI and as soon as I exit the game my screen goes to black and I can only shut down the computer and restart. The only way I found to fix this issue is to go to windowed mode and exit the game that way.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same issue. It started after one of the updates back in July/August - not sure if it was an NVidia update and/or a SWTOR update. Happened with my old GTX 970 and is still happening when I went to the GTX 1080. I have dozens of game and MMOs and SWTOR is the only one this happens in. Similar to the other post, using windowed full screen avoids the black screen on exit or alt-tab issue.

Ensure the game shortcut is running as administrator

If you have deleted the games cachefile called diskcachearena found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor

Double checked AV and firewall exceptions

and it is only occurring in fullscreen mode and you find fullscreen window and window mode does not do this, submit a bug report at this link

Edited by OwenBrooks

• 1 month later...

It's happening to me to since the Expansion. I have a brand new computer with a Radeon R9 360 graphics card.

There is no way for me to shut down the program just a black screen, and i have to shut off by pressing the power button. Makes me not want to play. Hope it gets fixed soon.

• 4 months later...
Okay this is a new problem that I've just noticed within the last three weeks. Everytime I run SWTOR in fullscreen mode, (along with any other fullscreen game) and I try to ALT-TAB out of it or even click "Quit" on the in-game pause menu and then click "Quit" again when it goes to the character selection screen, the game crashes and a black screen appears where the only thing I can operate is my mouse cursor. CTRL-ALT-DELETE doesn't work to escape this, it just gives an error message, so the only thing I can do is physically push the power button to shut the laptop down manually and reboot it. This is incredibly inconvenient and probably could damage my laptop's data, as I know you aren't supposed to shut down a computer like that. I'm hoping someone here can help me. In advance, thank you for any responses and have a nice day.

LordSidon

Ensure the game shortcut is running as administrator

If you have deleted the games cachefile called diskcachearena found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor

Double checked AV and firewall exceptions

and it is only occurring in fullscreen mode and you find fullscreen window and window mode does not do this, submit a bug report at this link

Who said this has to do with Nvidia? LordSidon didn't mention anywhere in his comment what kind of video card they are using. I'm having the same issue and I am using an AMD Radeon RX 580, just this week upgraded, and it is just as they describe for me when you refer them to Nvidia. When I am at Fullscreen mode it goes to black screen when exiting. When I set it to Fullscreen (Windowed), it exits fine. Before I used an AMD Radeon HD 6950 and I didn't have this problem and it worked just about flawlessly. So this is not an Nividia problem. Where do you say I need to go to file a bug report with EA/Bioware since this is not only an Nivida problem as you assume, which I take it your reply is a reply to LordSidon?

Thats a Graphics card issue, not a game issue. you might want to talk to a computer tech for that. Dont look to bioware for help, they barely can keep this game alive atm.

No, Bioware/EA need to fix this because if they are barely keeping this game alive, they wouldn't have been working on new hairdos and new light sabres. No, they need to fix this as part of their new release updates instead of working on new light sabres and new hairdos.

Blackscreen is usually related to the video driver/ dual monitor , amd submission is at this link

Apply this particular directx redist (Link) just to be sure all the dx9 libraries exist

Although the recent windows updates on win 10 have caused issue too - Example Link Can try running in a compatability mode

You can always submit a ingame ticket or an email to support@swtor.com

As always ensure launcher.exe , brwc_swtor.exe and swtor.exe (all 3) are in all the exception lists for the antivirus and firewall.

Try on a clean boot (Link) in case something else is interfering.

If you used a 6950 and only change is the video card and now you get this issue, the game is using directx 9 the only thing that can change the behavior between card models is the video driver (or an OS update affecting the video driver)

If it was a specific game issue everyone should have the issue

Google "blackscreen exiting game" and see what pops up

Edited by OwenBrooks