The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR PhD Research Project: Personality & Motivation

dkaufmann

The following message is a request for you to help a fellow swtor player out with completing the final steps of a very long journey. I began both this academic program and my love of swtor in 2011, and anyone willing to take 30+ minutes of their time (or less) would be extremely helpful.

Request to Participate in Research

By completing the following questions and clicking submit, you are expressing interest in participating in research designed to explore connections between your personality style and participation in the game Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR).

The anticipated total of people is 400 participants. You may participate if you meet each of the following:

1. Be a consenting adult at least 18 years of age or older.

2. Be a current/past player of Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR).

If you meet these criteria, you will be asked to complete 4 online questionnaires in the process of the study. These are:

o Informed Consent Form

o Gaming Demographic Questionnaire

o Motivation to Play MMO Games (MPOGQ)

o The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (Form-M)

This Survey/Questionnaire process is designed to take no more than 45 minutes to complete.

If you meet criteria and are interested in participating, you may complete the online questionnaires by clicking and/or copy+pasting the link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swtor_dissertation

I thank you for your interest in participating in this research. Further explanation of research processes is included in the Informed Consent, which you will be provided by clicking the link and accepting to opportunity to participate in the study. For additional concerns, you may email me directly at:

dkaufmannlmhc@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Daniel Kaufmann, LMHC, NCGC-II

Doctoral Candidate, Barry University

Edited by dkaufmann

• 2 weeks later...

The concern over the reliability of the MBTI is an incredibly valid point. It is also a prominent portion of the personality discussion in my literature review. I completely see where you are coming from.

There are really 3 reasons I selected the MBTI for this study. From an academic perspective, I really do not want to pathologize swtor players. This is a gaming positive study, and using other tests such as the NEO-PI do not get used in a strength based capacity nearly as often as it should. The goal is for players to see the positives of their thinking processes in real life, and see if there are any bridges in the manner of which different kinds of individuals play this amazing game. Since I am never directly meeting people in the procedure of the test, I need to use a test which is not used for diagnostic capacities, hence selecting the MBTI.

I am assuming you have some level of academic interest as well, otherwise you would not have commented on this posting. I think we can all agree that a completed PhD is much better than being ABD (All But Dissertation). I have a professor on my committee that is a member of the Myers-Briggs Institute, so why would I want to butt heads with them for 2+ years? That would be dumb. So, you look at what you have to work with and you make smart decisions based on that situation.

The most fun reason, however, is the role that the work of Carl Jung had in the development of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey. Without Jung, there would be no Hero Journey, which means no Luke Skywalker, and possibly several sequels to American Graffiti. Even Bioware mentioned that there are 85 million characters that are living their Star Wars journey. Jungian principles are rich throughout the entire method of Star Wars Storytelling. So, I decided I wanted to build an academic exploration to see how people from the real world can experience that journey in this MMO.

I do not want to change your mind about your points in the MBTI, because they are not invalid by any means. However, the MBTI provides archetypal concepts in the form of the 16 types of personality, and is merely a snapshot of their internal processes in the moment they took the test. I am truly blessed by this community having hundreds of people who decided to help me out instead of lurk in the forums and tear down my work. However, I appreciate beyond measure that this occurred, because it made a few more people aware of my study. Thank you so much fans of swtor for being a part of this phase in my life, even if you decided not to participate which is completely your right, and I would never want to deprive you of that decision.

May the Force be with You!

Without Jung, there would be no Hero Journey,

Well, to be exact, there would be no "Hero's Journey" according to Campbell et. al. ... What I mean is, that the "journey" as such is so much older than Jung ... ;)

( I'm currently working my way through Beowulf and Tolkien's ideas to that.

The Oddyssey is also a good example ( "Mentor" ). )

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Well, to be exact, there would be no "Hero's Journey" according to Campbell et. al. ... What I mean is, that the "journey" as such is so much older than Jung ... ;)

( I'm currently working my way through Beowulf and Tolkien's ideas to that.

The Oddyssey is also a good example ( "Mentor" ). )

Yes, of course. The "Journey" is timeless, but the academic analysis of the common thematic elements would not be as we know it today. Thanks for the clarification to my above conjecture. :)