The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let's talk account unlock prices for items

Covert Energy Boots (1 item) - 400 Cartel Coins for account unlock

Mantellian Privateer Armor set (6 items) - 400 Cartel Coins for account unlock

Thul Loyalist Armor set (7 items) - 60 Cartel Coins for account unlock

How does this make any sense at all?

Well, it's all based on ranking: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. In armor, I've encountered zero other factors in the unlock purchase price. It's all based on the ranking. Bronze is 60 CC, Silver is 240, and Gold is 400.

Arguably, there is nothing insidious here. Just a very minimalist way of categorizing how stuff gets unlocked. But as you can see, if you review the three examples I listed, it could use some refining.

I'm not even going to get into the difference in ranking price itself (the jump from 60 to 240 to 400). I would love to, but I imagine it will just turn into a "TOR needs to make a profit" argument and go nowhere.

More important is that there is zero difference based on number of items. So in those cases where you're getting less than seven, the cost is exactly the same compared to a set of the same ranking that gives you seven account unlock items. I don't appreciate what this looks like.

Sadly, there is a part of me that doesn't even want to bring it up, for fear of a ranking based on number of items that puts the cost even higher.

Here is what I think (and I know it's going to trigger that "but less profit..." reaction, but it's also a more fair system). You can keep 60, 240, and 400 as the standard for a full set based on rank (full being 7 items). It then goes down, based on whether you are unlocking less than 7.

For instance, in the design I'm proposing, a gold set with 7 items would be 400. A gold set with 6 would be 342. A gold set with 1 would be 57. You can do some averaging to make it more pretty-looking, but that's the gist.

On the surface, it may just sound like a dumb idea that nets less profit, but systems that are fair can go a long way with people. People who feel they are interacting with fair systems are going to be more likely to keep using them.