The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If Obi Wan was in the temple...........

adormitul

I'm calling BS on that with Vader. If his bionic limbs could move at that speed there would be no point whatsoever to having living troopers because you could have droids that could move faster than humans could even see. And if he's using the force to push himself into moving that fast, then he'd likely have to replace his joints after every fight, assuming they didn't tear away at the point metal meets flesh.

Exactly. Large groups of troopers took down Jedi all over the galaxy, and they had experience doing it even before the purge in Clone Wars.

I can post links and quotes to Vader's feats. Vader has pulled similar things off multiple times. Yes, he can move that fast.

I can post links and quotes to Vader's feats. Vader has pulled similar things off multiple times. Yes, he can move that fast.

I'm sure you can post links to all kinds of weird crap in the EU, but my argument is that there is no rational way he should. Providing links to badly thought out fanfiction some writer actually got paid for doesn't change that fact, and arguing "the force!" only takes you so far because force powers still have to work with the laws of physics. You can argue that Yoda could have levitated the X-Wing at the speed of light, but that wouldn't explain why the air-friction wouldn't instantly turn it into a molten blob, or the explosive shockwave wouldn't level the entire swamp.

You think that's silly? People asked the same questions about Harry Potter, how wizards could just make food magically appear, fully prepared and cooked, and Rowling, even though she hardly had to, actually answered it in a later book. A bunch of elves in the basement actually cook and prepare the food, and the wizards just teleport it a few-dozen meters up onto the dining-room tables (and presumably take all the credit). yeah, it's still waving a magic wand, but now your mind doesn't have to leap anywhere near as far to roll with the hocus pocus it's being fed.

Even in real life we are taken by surprise by the speed of some creatures for example if a hare ran in front of you basically just saw a blurr maybe the characters that saw Vader use for speed simply how to put it exaggerated. Also blaster bolt move very slow especially since their plasma that can reach speeds close to the speed of light. Yet they are slower then a bullet. To prove my point in episode VII Kylo Ren stopped a blaster bolt in mid air. You in real life a human can not even react when you shoot a bullet. Kylo Ren had time to see it to raise his hand and to freeze it in mid air. Edited by adormitul

Even in real life we are taken by surprise by the speed of some creatures for example if a hare ran in front of you basically just saw a blurr maybe the characters that saw Vader use for speed simply how to put it exaggerated. Also blaster bolt move very slow especially since their plasma that can reach speeds close to the speed of light. Yet they are slower then a bullet. To prove my point in episode VII Kylo Ren stopped a blaster bolt in mid air. You in real life a human can not even react when you shoot a bullet. Kylo Ren had time to see it to raise his hand and to freeze it in mid air.

I think the justification for that is that Jedi and Sith are precognitive, so they already know where the blaster bolt is coming from before the trigger is pulled, and can react accordingly. It's also what made Vader so deadly behind the stick of a fighter, even vastly outnumbered.

I always thought that was a reasonable and actually very clever way to justify deflecting lasers and energy weapons with a sword. As weird a sense as it might make, I buy that a lot more easily than seemingly regular human ninja deflecting bullets with a katana. Once you establish the force can allow you to see the future, seeing a fraction of a second ahead to dodge or deflect is just a natural and logical application of that skill.

This actually became the entire basis of a martial arts battle in Battle Angel Alita, when a "vampire" could see an opponent's moves in advance by reading the bio-electrical signals the person's brain would send to their muscles, essentially reacting to moves the person had physically been unable to even make yet. Gally/Alita actually countered this by having her brain send false signals, thereby creating false future-echos to try and confuse the vampire.

I'm calling BS on that with Vader. If his bionic limbs could move at that speed there would be no point whatsoever to having living troopers because you could have droids that could move faster than humans could even see. And if he's using the force to push himself into moving that fast, then he'd likely have to replace his joints after every fight, assuming they didn't tear away at the point metal meets flesh.

Exactly. Large groups of troopers took down Jedi all over the galaxy, and they had experience doing it even before the purge in Clone Wars.

I'm going back to quote this because after looking up some pictures of Vader's condition..

Vader didn't lose his arm at the elbow. So he does still have his elbow joints. His legs were cut off just before the knees. So he still has his knees. This might explain some of the speed. You mentioned that he'd need to replace his joints but if they're still flesh he wouldn't.

I'm going back to quote this because after looking up some pictures of Vader's condition..

Vader didn't lose his arm at the elbow. So he does still have his elbow joints. His legs were cut off just before the knees. So he still has his knees.

Right arm you're right, since that was already lost and replaced thanks to Dooku, and the one Obi-Wan missed. Left arm hard to tell, but the scene in RotS pretty clearly shows his knees being mechanical.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/45/Ani01.png

That's probably a good thing in the long run, since after almost 20 years of wearing durasteel armor, his knees would be so stiff he'd have trouble even walking by RotJ and need a cane like Yoda.

Right arm you're right, since that was already lost and replaced thanks to Dooku, and the one Obi-Wan missed. Left arm hard to tell, but the scene in RotS pretty clearly shows his knees being mechanical.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/45/Ani01.png

That's probably a good thing in the long run, since after almost 20 years of wearing durasteel armor, his knees would be so stiff he'd have trouble even walking by RotJ and need a cane like Yoda.

Yup. You're correct about the legs and yeah. The elbow thing might explain why he's able to move his arms at that speed.