Please help me!! I cant launch the game!

akiraparadox

Okay so here's the thing...

I am constantly getting an error that says "Unable to load application configuration". Nothing I have tried even begins to fix this issue.

• Done a full and clean reinstall of windows on a freshly purchased HDD.
  • Followed all the updating of core components such as VS C++, .NET Framework, Java, DX9/10/11/12 (EVERYTHING)
  • Windows is 100% up to date and operational. (Running Win 7 Utimate 64bit)
  • My antivirus has exceptions for all SWTOR related files, and any game for that matter.

This effected me even before I reinstalled windows. Don't have a clue why it is now. I had a look around the web and some other guy had the same issue and a full install work for him. I am seriously at he end of the line and beginning to give up all hope. I love SWTOR and I'm a Guild Leader and really really need to get back on the game... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Edited by akiraparadox

Okay so here's the thing...

I am constantly getting an error that says "Unable to load application configuration". Nothing I have tried even begins to fix this issue.

• Done a full and clean reinstall of windows on a freshly purchased HDD.
  • Followed all the updating of core components such as VS C++, .NET Framework, Java, DX9/10/11/12 (EVERYTHING)
  • Windows is 100% up to date and operational. (Running Win 7 Utimate 64bit)
  • My antivirus has exceptions for all SWTOR related files, and any game for that matter.

This effected me even before I reinstalled windows. Don't have a clue why it is now. I had a look around the web and some other guy had the same issue and a full install work for him. I am seriously at he end of the line and beginning to give up all hope. I love SWTOR and I'm a Guild Leader and really really need to get back on the game... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

- - - FIXED - - - Read below in case this could possibly help anybody else - - -

Okay so...

I ran a full virus scan (full system)

Check EVERYTHING was up to date with windows and partnership components i.e Flash etc. (for specified OS) in my case x64 bit.

Ran a full malware scan and removed everything suggested (Malware Bytes). Cleaned my reg with CCleaner.

Rebooted PC.

Removed "libsef.dll" from swtor folder and ran SWTOR from the shortcut on desktop. (it will 100% show an error saying "cannot detect browser" or something along those lines.) After that I placed the Launcher repair file in the game folder, ran it and let it redistribute the files correctly. Then BOOM it fudging starts up!!! FK YESS!!!

Here's how this may help you in steps:

1. . Run a full system virus scan and a malware scan to the same degree. [Absolutely necessary]
  2. . Update everything such as Flash for your OS and browser type (x64). [Only if needed, better to double check]
  3. . Navigate to SWTOR folder... ( Usually located C:/ Program files x86/ EA/ Bioware/ Star Wars -The Old Rebublic) or where ever you chose to install it.
  4. . Delete the file named "libsef.dll" - and place "LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe" into the same folder... Run it and allow it to complete... This will reinstate all the files needed to run the launcher. Including libsef.dll.
  5. . Once that is done... Launch the game as normal. - Tadaa! Problem solved! At least I hope it is for you.

I really do hope this helps others and gets spread around the net and the forums, because this sure a hell drove me nuts trying to fix!. I think at most I have seen with the issue at hand. Was to start with I didn't have the faintest clue what the problem was. Then I had to dig my way around the net to find a whole list of possible causes. Then I decided to run my own tests as a programmer, and use my own knowledge of how they generally link together. Purely as it's a rare issue and is mainly to with registry edits that have been made by other programs and haven't really been cleaned or adjusted in a while. It's also to do with flash and browsers being in sync and using the same OS path within the registry. In which case allowing the game launcher to recognise those parameters.

Amazing how things turn out eh.

Edited by akiraparadox

akiraparadox

If this comes back do a search for any other copy of libcef.dll in the windows search path like in windows/syswow64 folder and remove them.

Pjootah

The launcher repair utility is here that forum is also the place launcher issues belong as the bug report forum is just for ingame bugs. see this post

Game crash is not a launcher issue as the OP had try this post first

Edited by OwenBrooks

akiraparadox

If this comes back do a search for any other copy of libcef.dll in the windows search path like in windows/syswow64 folder and remove them.

Pjootah

The launcher repair utility is here that forum is also the place launcher issues belong as the bug report forum is just for ingame bugs. see this post

Thanks for the links, having had time for closer inspection it seems to be my antivirus that suddenly decided to mess with it. If I temporarily disable my anti-virus the launcher works.

Edit: Actually my RAM might be broken :confused:

Edited by Pjootah

If you need more help make a post at EA Answers HQ , I should see it

Hope the ram isnt bad, if it is at least you have found the problem though.

common known AV issues are listed below

ESET - disable "protocol filtering"

Kaperskey - disable "scan secure/encrypted connections"

Norton (Firewall) - set exceptions to "Allow" not "Auto"

AVG - disable link scanner surf-shield

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem, crashes instantly. Tried reinstalling but that didn't do anything

Where did you find "LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2.exe" ? I can't find it anywhere

Hey, did you sort out your problem bud?

Try to get the launcher repair facility from the net. Then follow the steps as I indicated, in how I managed to fix it.

Let me know if you have or haven't fixed it.

So I look into it further for you. Plus add a list of things to a personal text file I'm creating to log all sorts of possible issues and fixes that bioware needs to be aware of. So that they can fix in the future, and possibly prevent such issues.

akiraparadox

Pjootah

@ OwnenBrooks

Thanks for that head's up. I'll keep that in mind and write it down on my log text file.

As of the last fix I did I've had no more issues to date. *cross fingers*

:ph_thank_you:

Edited by akiraparadox