Game crashes (locks up/freezes)

MasterNemeth

I have this issue on my home computer randomly. Can be after 10 mins, can be after 2 hours, I'm close to giving up with it.

System specs:

i7 4790k, stock speeds

GTX980 SLI, stock speeds, hybrid coolers

RoG Swift (so using GSync).

32GB RAM,

Samsung 850 EVO,

Windows 10

DX Diag here: http://pastebin.com/Wp0ARkYN

System File Checker shows no issues.

I've tried disabling SLI to no avail.

I've disabled bitraider and redownloaded the game on the normal client.

Any ideas at all?

There is an issue afflicting SLI setups with WIn 10 , See this thread (Link)

Windows update fixed most issues for single card , you can try using the workaround which was placing grass to 0 and see if it impacts what is occuring for you.

Maybe also going back to 362.00 driver the 364 driver version has been troublesome see here I gather that is why your on 364.51 Beta currently ? it is worthwhile moving back a bit further to be sure.

Also listed in the known issues here (Link) but this doesnt sound 100% like what is occuring for you, but maybe there is more then one thing occurring currently.

Whatever is occurring in swtor is also in STO for you ? the same crash exists for gameclient.exe which is associated with ARC games like STO / Neverwinter etc

Edited by OwenBrooks

Thanks Owen.

I've just run Memtest86+ 5.01 with no errors. I've just updated the driver from 364.51 to 364.72, will report back as to if this fixes it.

I had disabled SLI for this game via nvidia inspector, I will try with SLI disabled completely (As I don't think I really need it for SWTOR anyway) although this is marginally annoying as it means setting it back when not playing SWTOR.

I do have STO, in fact I have a lifetime account from release day, and did install it while waiting for SWTOR to download via the non-ST launcher, but then logged in and after about 10 mins decided it had changed too much and I couldn't be bothered with it, so no idea if I'd see the issue there ;)

It has happened on speeders, but often happens just when I'm running around.

It doesn't happen when I play SWTOR at work, that PC is an i7 3770, with a GTX960 4GB, but this is a single card, and it is also running W10 insider preview.

I might try insider preview on this machine if none of the other things work.

Thanks!

This issue tended to be more pronounce on planets with grass , and grass to 0 helped back then

You may want to move to 364.96 (Link) if wanting to use the later drivers, it has some fixes from 364.72 (Link) like a fps nosedive until either an alt tab or change of in-game resolution ( Recent example here )

I have the life thing with STO too :) and know what you mean

SLI fully disabled should resolve things I think for now, this issue affects more then swtor i'm afraid

How do you find the ROG Swift ? thinking about getting one myself

Edited by OwenBrooks

364.72 didn't help :(

When I say it doesn't only happen on a speeder, I mean it doesn't only happen on the automated fast travel speeders/shuttles/etc.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember it happening unless on one of those or a normal speeder (e.g. hk55 jetpack) so I'm going to switch to insider preview on this machine and see if it fixes it, as per the known issues list.

The RoG Swift is amazing, I'd never ever buy another non-gsync/freesync monitor. However, Asus's support is truly awful, and, having bought the Swift on release, I'm on my 3rd due to faults.

If I were buying now, I'd go for the Dell S2716DG instead, it's down to £389 here in the UK which is about half the price I paid for my Swift on release, and it's the newer incarnation of GSync so it has HDMI as well as DP. It still supports 3DVision, as the Swift does, and uses the same panel.