Unable to Log In - On going issue

Trelinker

Every couple of days lately, usually in the morning here, (US peak time) I'm running into the issue of not being able to log in.

Streaming client gets to the 'initializing' stage where it presumably checks for new patches

And then after sitting there simply comes up with the message "This Application has encountered an unspecified error, please try this patch again"

Now the client is always fully patched when this error happens and usually if I leave it for 8hrs or so, the next time it goes back to working as expected - which makes me wonder whether this is more a featured designed to reduce server load - since there's no real reason why it happens constantly and then many hours later simply disappears.

And as a subscriber, this is greatly impacting my actual game time - and will very likely be the reason for not renewing my sub when it next expires. since with this kind of basic problem - it really makes it feel like you are putting 99% into the Cartel Market and less than 1% into the game / looking after your subs.

this is greatly impacting my actual game time

A google search should have shown you many discussions on this topic already.

Give Owen's solution in this thread a try and see if that helps: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=813379

May also want to check your error logs in the /log subdirectory of your install to see if anything's in there.

Thanks for the link to that particular post

I had already tried the steps in the Bitraider or Bug sticky - which didn't work and is effectively owens solution (sticky just didn't include the step of end-tasking the processes) - so next time I logged in - it did actually go through the verify

However, On reading the post you linked further including the solution to go back to the old non-streaming client (which I initially ruled out due to it involving a 25GB re-download of the game since i'm only on an ADSL2 connection 3.5km from my exchange = long time to download).

I did come across a rather disturbing part in that post

Post mentioned the Streaming client, which none of us chose to use, also De-frags files in the background as well as just streaming patches.

Now I, like quite a lot of ppl have an SSD drive as my main drive - and defragmenting is the last thing anyone would want on such a drive.

So, surely having the Streaming client as the client of choice for everyone is a potential problem for ppl with SSD drives.

Feel free for someone with more tech expertise than me to correct me if I'm wrong on that