Same gender companion romances

DeltaBos

Cute attempt to avoid answering the question. It's almost like you don't have an answer. ;)

Why would I answer a question not directed at me?

o.O

Anyway,

it doesn't personally affect me. I think I would lose interest in all of the companions though.

if you take away a characters tastes, opinions, preferences, etc, in an RPG game where the storytelling and the characters in that story are at the center of it, you pretty much have an RPG game with lifeless pixelated dolls that allow you to develop a relationship with yourself, and if you choose, romance yourself. I'm personally with the person that said Dragon Age: Inquisition had the right idea. Each character had their own preferences. Some were gay, bi, straight, and some preferred one race over others.

Edited by cool-dude

I don't believe it would work for all companions. Corso Riggs, for one. He's a womanizer through and through. You always gain influence with him when you are flirting a woman. Prior to the change of system, you were always losing attachment when you were hurting a woman, even if it's a villainess. I can't picture him as gay or bi. The same thing could be said of Doc and Cedrax.

Early on I was in favour of making the various original companions more flexible in their romance options but the reality is that Bioware will never change that, mostly for financial reasons.

barring a re-write of the original character, I don't think it makes sense to change a core aspect of the Companion characters in upcoming chapters. If Mako is straight, then she is straight...yes she might have been bi and just never felt comfortable talking about it but that would require a level of character development that Bioware just doesn't have time for.

All we can hope for is more interesting Companions in upcoming chapters.

Slides into this thread.

Disclaimer: I am a lesbian.

While I strongly agree that representation is important, whether it’s gender, race, whatever, I think Bioware has done a pretty decent job over the span of the three series I have played (DA, ME, and SWTOR). For a lot of us who are in that minority, we’re so desperate for any sort of inclusion that frankly Bioware is already leaps and bounds ahead of other games, though I know it is becoming more mainstream now. (bc OMGZ if your kid plays a game w TEH GAYZ in it, they might become gay themself! or heaven forbid, ask mommy and daddy questions!)

However, for me PERSONALLY, I’m not bothered by the lack of options. Would it be nice? Yes, it would be nice, because there are some characters who I fall in love with because the writing, voice acting, story is so strong, and for my character’s progression it would be an interesting thing to see pan out. But considering we have had games where it wasn’t even any sort of option, at all, whatsoever, not even a possibility… Bioware is moving in the right direction.

(I romanced both Liara and Garrus, btw. Because they are adorkable.)

Also, for those who are saying it would be weird for someone to ‘turn gay’ – I only started questioning my sexuality after I graduated high school, I think I was about 21? I came out when I was 23. While I do believe we are ‘born this way’ to some extent, sexuality is something very personal and it’s not always cut and dry. I did not sing showtunes out of the womb, okay?

I don't believe it would work for all companions. Corso Riggs, for one. He's a womanizer through and through. You always gain influence with him when you are flirting a woman. Prior to the change of system, you were always losing attachment when you were hurting a woman, even if it's a villainess. I can't picture him as gay or bi. The same thing could be said of Doc and Cedrax.

Corso ? THE CORSO ? the Guy who keep butting in as soon as you look at another guy that isn't him? that stand right there between you and every NPC and lift his arms so you don't see anyone else but him ? THAT CORSO ? :D

Maybe he is different for a male smuggler , but as a female Smuggler..he describe himself as a farm boy but a Gentleman . And let me tell you..he is a nuisance if you wanna play a Flirt...you get ALOT of dissaproval from him , so much..you go dark side in the end .

when the debate started , those who wanted Gay options with the old companions never said 'Hey turn the Toggle on and make everyone bi . Well maybe a few wanted that since everyone had a taste . Like x companion over another and such . wich when you are Hetero..you wouldn't care . everyone is hetero...so if you don't like Jaessa..you still have Vette as a choice..if you don't like vette..you may like watcher 2 on the agent..or mako..or akaavi and so on .

But BW did come on the official thread about this , and they did say (years ago) that they will work on it and make those who fit the bill as such . They never promised everyone will be Bi though . And that thread is somewhere buried .

Since it's been years and nothing happen.....

As for the ''if he become gay it will change who he is'' . No it doesn't . He will still sleep around if you view him as such . I don't...then again..I found him a nuisance that wouldn't take a No for an answer .

A gay companion just mean that the companion will say yes and the player will get access to the portion of the dialogues that are ROMANCE . It won't take the force from them or their rifles and they still will dissaprove if you go slaughtering all the deers around . Well..unless its skadge...I think he would lend a hand :D

Corso ? THE CORSO ? the Guy who keep butting in as soon as you look at another guy that isn't him? that stand right there between you and every NPC and lift his arms so you don't see anyone else but him ? THAT CORSO ? :D

Maybe he is different for a male smuggler , but as a female Smuggler..he describe himself as a farm boy but a Gentleman . And let me tell you..he is a nuisance if you wanna play a Flirt...you get ALOT of dissaproval from him , so much..you go dark side in the end .

There, you see? All is there, that's exactly what I was saying. Corso is a women's man. If you play a female smuggler, he will try to hit on you, and of course he will not like it when you are flirting another guy. But as a male smuggler, he's all *wink*wink* *nudge*nudge* "way to go, pal!" each time you are flirting a lady and even more if you succeed to put her in the horizontal position... He will disaprove every time you are mean to a woman, even the most wicked ones. So yes, making him gay would change his character. Corso is the male smuggler's best buddy, the guy he goes to a bar with to drink a few cold ones and watch a game of Huttball after a hard day's work. A love interest? Not so much...

There, you see? All is there, that's exactly what I was saying. Corso is a women's man. If you play a female smuggler, he will try to hit on you, and of course he will not like it when you are flirting another guy. But as a male smuggler, he's all *wink*wink* *nudge*nudge* "way to go, pal!" each time you are flirting a lady and even more if you succeed to put her in the horizontal position... He will disaprove every time you are mean to a woman, even the most wicked ones. So yes, making him gay would change his character. Corso is the male smuggler's best buddy, the guy he goes to a bar with to drink a few cold ones and watch a game of Huttball after a hard day's work. A love interest? Not so much...

Is anyone actually saying Corso should be gay though? I haven't read through the whole thread, I honestly don't know.

I thought the general argument was that for the companions who are distinctly ambiguous, there is no harm in opening them up to flirts from the other side.

Based on memory, aside from the occasional dialogue niggle (like some passing word that says "man" or "woman") any of the following wouldn't be weird if they were open to both: Kira, Iresso, Torian, Mako, Vette, Vector, Quinn, Nadia, Elara, Jorgan. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Now I just hate him even more...

Urgh...

Best buddie ? that goddamn.....Gah!

So he thumb up a male smuggler but litteraly for female he is a big nuisance that can't take a No ? who wrote him as a romance ?

No . If he was Bi , it mean he will get approval if you hit on guys as well lol If you don't play as a bi person , then nothing change . He will still be your bust buddy (with a BH price tag on his head cose I swear my BH coming for him ) .

Nothing will change . Your orientation doesn't change squat . His personality will still be annoying if I hit on Akaavi if I tried..just same as if I was hitting on a guy .

He will still bore me with his out of the wood stories...and all .

So yeah..nothing will change .

Is anyone actually saying Corso should be gay though? I haven't read through the whole thread, I honestly don't know.

I thought the general argument was that for the companions who are distinctly ambiguous, there is no harm in opening them up to flirts from the other side.

Based on memory, aside from the occasional dialogue niggle (like some passing word that says "man" or "woman") any of the following wouldn't be weird if they were open to both: Kira, Iresso, Torian, Mako, Vette, Vector, Quinn, Nadia, Elara, Jorgan. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

I really can't remember , but I think peoples did ask for a whole make everyone Bi so everyone can have a choices . Since not everyone like every companions and some are hated .

I think that's where BW said they will , but instead of turning everyone Bi..they will make those who fit the bill as such .

Thats when it was recommanded that Kaliyo for exemple would fit such a thing .

And BW said they will do it , and they will do it right .

That was like..what 3-4 years ago . And nothing .

And as we saw , Kaliyo have flirt but she turn you down . So doubt it ever happen....

He actually doesn't give you more approval for sleeping around. He likes when you say nice things to ladies (flirt) but there are several times when if you try and get a woman into bed that he disapproves.

Not many options for male-male flirts in the level 50s and such, but I don't remember him once disapproving for flirting with Theron Shan or anything.

He's less a "womanizer" and more an "old fashioned southern boy". They're polite to ladies, never hurt a woman, etc. etc. Doesn't mean he dislikes anyone being bi or gay, but he definitely has standards about how to treat women. Silly, old-fashioned standards, but that's who he is. He's supposed to be an old-fashioned 'white knight' kind of country boy.

On that note though, Corso dislikes being mean or cruel to just about anyone unless it's something that really does something bad.

Yeah, and as we all know there has never ever been a guy still in the closet (gay or bi) who ever overcompensates, right? :rolleyes:

Is it that ridiculous to believe that the male smuggler wakes something up in Corso he never felt before? That's a rhetorical question, by the way, The answer is a no projected in pink neon mile-wide letters across the cloud-cover of the night sky.

Edited by ZanyaCross

Yeah, and as we all know there has never ever been a guy still in the closet (gay or bi) who ever overcompensates, right? :rolleyes:

Is it that ridiculous to believe that the male smuggler wakes something up in Corso he never felt before? That's a rhetorical question, by the way, The answer is a no projected in pink neon mile-wide letters across the cloud-cover of the night sky.

^^ This! ^^

He actually doesn't give you more approval for sleeping around. He likes when you say nice things to ladies (flirt) but there are several times when if you try and get a woman into bed that he disapproves.

Not many options for male-male flirts in the level 50s and such, but I don't remember him once disapproving for flirting with Theron Shan or anything.

He's less a "womanizer" and more an "old fashioned southern boy". They're polite to ladies, never hurt a woman, etc. etc. Doesn't mean he dislikes anyone being bi or gay, but he definitely has standards about how to treat women. Silly, old-fashioned standards, but that's who he is. He's supposed to be an old-fashioned 'white knight' kind of country boy.

On that note though, Corso dislikes being mean or cruel to just about anyone unless it's something that really does something bad.

I said he's a womanizer, not that he was homophobic. Maybe the term "womanizer" is not exact though. English is not my first language. But he sure likes women. And yes I get that he dislikes being cruel. But he especially dislikes when you are mean to women. It is even in his codex description.

I said he's a womanizer, not that he was homophobic. Maybe the term "womanizer" is not exact though. English is not my first language. But he sure likes women. And yes I get that he dislikes being cruel. But he especially dislikes when you are mean to women. It is even in his codex description.

Well, to be fair, he likes treating women nicely and protecting them. That's true. I actually haven't see any signs of Corso flirting around or anything unlike plenty of male companions that do. I mean...Tharan Cedrax and Doc are definitely womanizers if we want to be honest. They actively try and get tons of booty if they can. Corso never does that I'm aware of? So I don't really know a better phrase to describe him off the top of my head than 'old fashioned gentleman type' though.

That's one of the reasons I could see him being closer to 'Captain sexual' (male or female) really. He definitely develops strong feelings for the Smuggler (male or female actually), but doesn't seem to be actively trying to get anyone else into his life. So I find it far less a stretch for him to decide that he doesn't care about the contents of his captain's pants than say...someone like Tharan Cedrax that clearly gets as many women as he can manage and has a weird relationship with his holographic...sort of girlfriend.

Edited by Jaiddyn

My first post was that some characters would not fit. It seems you agree with me, then.

Anyway, I believe BW thinks they fulfilled their promise with Theron, Lana and Koth. Any new companion or character we encounter in KotET or ulterior expensions will be open to both genders. But I doubt they will put more ressources on old companions. They barely speak at all after lvl 50.

Well, to be fair, he likes treating women nicely and protecting them. That's true. I actually haven't see any signs of Corso flirting around or anything unlike plenty of male companions that do. I mean...Tharan Cedrax and Doc are definitely womanizers if we want to be honest. They actively try and get tons of booty if they can. Corso never does that I'm aware of? So I don't really know a better phrase to describe him off the top of my head than 'old fashioned gentleman type' though.

That's one of the reasons I could see him being closer to 'Captain sexual' (male or female) really. He definitely develops strong feelings for the Smuggler (male or female actually), but doesn't seem to be actively trying to get anyone else into his life. So I find it far less a stretch for him to decide that he doesn't care about the contents of his captain's pants than say...someone like Tharan Cedrax that clearly gets as many women as he can manage and has a weird relationship with his holographic...sort of girlfriend.

I understand your point. However, the way he's interracting with the woman smuggler and how he disaproves when she's flirting another male than himself suggests that he is pretty much interested in what's in her pants... Anyway, I agree with you, Cedrax would not fit at all. Neither would Doc.

I understand your point. However, the way he's interracting with the woman smuggler and how he disaproves when she's flirting another male than himself suggests that he is pretty much interested in what's in her pants... Anyway, I agree with you, Cedrax would not fit at all. Neither would Doc.

I always thought that was less a "what's in her pants" and more a possessiveness kind of thing. Which is a little backwards headed as the lady Smuggler doesn't need him to "protect" her, but that's just part of his personality too. A somewhat frustrating part I fully admit. Corso is a bit sexist in a weird way; he doesn't seem to think women are 'less' so much as he thinks men should protect them.

But yes, he's probably also a bit jealous, which I can kind of get. He's young (like 21 or so I think), lost his family and his fiance more than once, so I can see why he would be a bit clingy to someone he cared about. Doesn't make it not annoying, but it's at least somewhat understandable.

From what I remember hearing in the original game, Corso and a lot of others were originally bisexual, other races, etc. Corso was a Kiffar for example.

On that note, I can see you the points you're making, but I can also see other options, at least for Corso and some others. Some though, I think are just find as "straight" or "not romanceable".