The optimal raid team

The need for aoe dps is overrated to be honest. I suggested an optimal comp in this thread (You can look back through) and so did KBN. He elaborated a bit more on his reasoning than I did. KBN also said something extremely relevant to the comps than most people are suggesting; "For the most part, this sort of optimization just makes easy fights easier (e.g. the Jugg solo deleting a trenchcutter pack)."

There are no aoe dps requirements that the worst aoe dps can't meet. And no, you don't need to be extremely good, just average to meet them. My suggested comp focused on making the select few highly difficult encounters easier and I personally think that's what the aim should be. Making moderate or easy encounters easier isn't really a priority, especially in a perfect player scenario.

I think basically all of the encounters are pretty easy, with the possible exception of Brontes. With that said, you're right that your comp is better tuned for the fights that are on the harder end of the scale than mine is. Mine should do just fine on those fights, but a tweak or two would improve things (e.g. not running a lower DPS class, Jugg, primarily because of AoE and cheese).

Regarding AoE checks… There are four AoE DPS checks in the game at present, and only one of which approaches any modicum of seriousness. Draxus is the most severe. Or rather, it would be if people didn't five DPS the fight, which is probably a valid reason why the game doesn't have massive AoE checks. The other three in order of severity are: Warlord Kephess, Bestia and Dash'roode. Basically all DPS have enough AoE to beat Kephess, though having more AoE simply makes the healing proportionally easier. Bestia is an almost identical situation (though if you really, really lack AoE, you might find yourself leaving the final add up). Dash'roode is even more trivial since the sandstorm isn't a serious concern anymore. Sustained AoE in rotation makes the DPS more straightforward since most of your group can just tunnel.

Anyway, if there were actually a need for a second tank on Draxus, I think you'd see people being more aggressive about AoE comps (as in fact, people were more aggressive about AoE comps when NiM DF was current). Beyond that, AoE is mostly a matter of streamlining already farmable content.

My philosophy on Brontes and Styrak is basically this: either you're going to beat them, or you aren't. Composition isn't going to make as much of a difference as you would think. This isn't a pre-buff HM Revan situation (or sniper meta NiM Styrak), where the right composition could delete a major mechanic from the fight. Aside from some specs which are just not viable, you can mostly bring whatever. Class stacking isn't going to overcome a bad mid-burn strategy on Brontes or low DPS on Styrak. Rerolling your tank from jugg to powertech isn't going to make them any cleaner on swaps, any sharper at agro or any more precise on cooldowns.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

I think basically all of the encounters are pretty easy, with the possible exception of Brontes. With that said, you're right that your comp is better tuned for the fights that are on the harder end of the scale than mine is. Mine should do just fine on those fights, but a tweak or two would improve things (e.g. not running a lower DPS class, Jugg, primarily because of AoE and cheese).

Regarding AoE checks… There are four AoE DPS checks in the game at present, and only one of which approaches any modicum of seriousness. Draxus is the most severe. Or rather, it would be if people didn't five DPS the fight, which is probably a valid reason why the game doesn't have massive AoE checks. The other three in order of severity are: Warlord Kephess, Bestia and Dash'roode. Basically all DPS have enough AoE to beat Kephess, though having more AoE simply makes the healing proportionally easier. Bestia is an almost identical situation (though if you really, really lack AoE, you might find yourself leaving the final add up). Dash'roode is even more trivial since the sandstorm isn't a serious concern anymore. Sustained AoE in rotation makes the DPS more straightforward since most of your group can just tunnel.

Anyway, if there were actually a need for a second tank on Draxus, I think you'd see people being more aggressive about AoE comps (as in fact, people were more aggressive about AoE comps when NiM DF was current). Beyond that, AoE is mostly a matter of streamlining already farmable content.

My philosophy on Brontes and Styrak is basically this: either you're going to beat them, or you aren't. Composition isn't going to make as much of a difference as you would think. This isn't a pre-buff HM Revan situation (or sniper meta NiM Styrak), where the right composition could delete a major mechanic from the fight. Aside from some specs which are just not viable, you can mostly bring whatever. Class stacking isn't going to overcome a bad mid-burn strategy on Brontes or low DPS on Styrak. Rerolling your tank from jugg to powertech isn't going to make them any cleaner on swaps, any sharper at agro or any more precise on cooldowns.

Also, I think a part of optimal composition is basically making do with the resources that are available. The pool of competent raiders is finite, ESPECIALLY in 4.0 SWTOR. Often times, in my case it's simply not possible to get another class simply because I CAN'T PLAY another DPS class and do similar or better damage that I do on my guardian, and we really don't have that many people in the game anymore.

On a side note, I think that guardians are probably the best class to facetank brontes with a taunt, it's not quite hydraulics but unremitting can be used to block the fire and forget multiple times, saber ward with blade turning mitigates an entire set of shots, and focused defense heals you to full with one fire and forget. Your DPS is gonna be shmeh, but it means that you're basically freeing up a ton of uptime for your fellow dps.

I think in an ideal world, we can have ideal full fotm comps, but ideal doesn't really easily exist in a lot of cases. Better to just have a comp with players that wear it like a glove than a perfect comp that people are still trying to figure out.

Edited by GrandLordMenace

Also, I think a part of optimal composition is basically making do with the resources that are available. The pool of competent raiders is finite, ESPECIALLY in 4.0 SWTOR. Often times, in my case it's simply not possible to get another class simply because I CAN'T PLAY another DPS class and do similar or better damage that I do on my guardian, and we really don't have that many people in the game anymore.

On a side note, I think that guardians are probably the best class to facetank brontes with a taunt, it's not quite hydraulics but unremitting can be used to block the fire and forget multiple times, saber ward with blade turning mitigates an entire set of shots, and focused defense heals you to full with one fire and forget. Your DPS is gonna be shmeh, but it means that you're basically freeing up a ton of uptime for your fellow dps.

I think in an ideal world, we can have ideal full fotm comps, but ideal doesn't really easily exist in a lot of cases. Better to just have a comp with players that wear it like a glove than a perfect comp that people are still trying to figure out.

You're just trying to head off the day when I ask you to swap to your sentinel… ;-)