Proving grounds

LudhaninRolgge

Regarding the vast amount of story this thread has, we clearly need something to teach new player how to play. The story doesn't do it anymore since it's totally faceroll and we end up with clueless people queueing for HM FP an ops.

In order to resolve this problem, we need some sort of proving grounds where you'd have to succeed in some tests regarding of your role. Once you've succeeded in those test, you could queue but only with the character you succeed with and in the role you've succeeded in.

For example, as a DPS you'd have a kill order test, a DPS check, and so on.

Gear must be irrelevant so that you can't just come in there and outgear it.

Add different level of success (bronze, silver and gold for example) for the different difficulty and that would do the trick.

If you have ideas to add, feel free to say them.

My suggestions. I didn't include a dps check because that could be problematic.

The main issues are people not knowing their class specifics, standing in ground targets, and people not paying attention to what role they're queuing for/queuing for the wrong role.

One thing I didn't add, in respect to the latter, is a confirmation box could be added when someone queues for multiple roles stating "You are queuing for Tactical as DPS and Heals" with an "Continue" and "Cancel" button if needed to be fixed.

Regarding the vast amount of story this thread has, we clearly need something to teach new player how to play. The story doesn't do it anymore since it's totally faceroll and we end up with clueless people queueing for HM FP an ops.

In order to resolve this problem, we need some sort of proving grounds where you'd have to succeed in some tests regarding of your role. Once you've succeeded in those test, you could queue but only with the character you succeed with and in the role you've succeeded in.

For example, as a DPS you'd have a kill order test, a DPS check, and so on.

Gear must be irrelevant so that you can't just come in there and outgear it.

Add different level of success (bronze, silver and gold for example) for the different difficulty and that would do the trick.

If you have ideas to add, feel free to say them.

A Proving Grounds feature caused a huge rift in the World of Warcraft community and was, in my personal opinion, was not an accurate test of player skill as many who passed still performed abominably in dungeons and raids. Having a cookie cutter design that pitted all the DPS classes/specs against the same AI group targets was not really a good test as some classes were being tested on abilities that they normally would not be asked to perform and some classes/specs had a definite advantage over others.

When I started playing SWToR, and was not guilded, the normal flashpoints was where I learned how to effectively play my classes/specs. I think bringing back the normal level FPs back where you actually had to act in your normal roles would help many players learn their abilities. The Tacticals as they stand now are pretty much disasters for newer players even with bolster.

Everything else - OPs, HMs - I've learned from my guild who do regular Story Mode runs to gear and get members familiar with the fight mechanics. In the end, I feel that a good, patient guild - or even a random stranger offering advice - can do a better job than a standardized test.

My suggestions. I didn't include a dps check because that could be problematic.

I'm not saying a NiM Styrak DPS check, but at least something that require that you know your proper rotation

The main issues are people not knowing their class specifics, standing in ground targets, and people not paying attention to what role they're queuing for/queuing for the wrong role.

Exactly. That's why a test with punitive AOE, one shot ability you can interrupt, etc is required so player don't try to brute force through it.

One thing I didn't add, in respect to the latter, is a confirmation box could be added when someone queues for multiple roles stating "You are queuing for Tactical as DPS and Heals" with an "Continue" and "Cancel" button if needed to be fixed.

That could solve some issue of DPS queueing as healer and not knowing, indeed.

A Proving Grounds feature caused a huge rift in the World of Warcraft community and was, in my personal opinion, was not an accurate test of player skill as many who passed still performed abominably in dungeons and raids. Having a cookie cutter design that pitted all the DPS classes/specs against the same AI group targets was not really a good test as some classes were being tested on abilities that they normally would not be asked to perform and some classes/specs had a definite advantage over others.

I agree that bioware has to properly balance the different classes before some sort of proving grounds can become a thing, but there needs to be something keeping clueless players from queueing before they at least have the basic knowledge of what they do

When I started playing SWToR, and was not guilded, the normal flashpoints was where I learned how to effectively play my classes/specs. I think bringing back the normal level FPs back where you actually had to act in your normal roles would help many players learn their abilities. The Tacticals as they stand now are pretty much disasters for newer players even with bolster.

I agree with you, and I wish the old style SM FP should return as well, but in order to be effective, they should be mandatory. I've seen too much people reaching level 60 (at the time) without having done a single SM FP. And it was before 12x xp.

Everything else - OPs, HMs - I've learned from my guild who do regular Story Mode runs to gear and get members familiar with the fight mechanics. In the end, I feel that a good, patient guild - or even a random stranger offering advice - can do a better job than a standardized test.

I've noticed that the biggest problem are the new players without guild (with a few exception for the people from known bad guilds). Those players don't care. I've actually came across a Deception sin totally clueless, I thought she was new and when I tried to offer some advice, she told me to **** off because she'd been playing for 3 years. And keeping those players to queue unless they learn how to play might be beneficial.

That's a long-winded way to spell "elitism."

That's exactly what a proving ground would turn in to: An Elitist camp.

DPS : Scores 4487 DPS.

Message pops up: You have failed. A minimum score of 4490 DPS is required to do this Operation. Access Denied.

Healer: Scores 4530 HPS.

Message pops up: You have failed. A minimum score of 4540 HPS is required to do this Operation. Access Denied.

Tank: Damage taken - 105,650; Damage Shielded/Absorbed - 78,438; Damage Blocked/Avoided - 56,975.

Message pops up: You have failed. Damage Taken maximum amount is 100,000. Minimum amount of Damage Shielded is 79,000. Minimum Damage Blocked/Avoided is 58,000. Access Denied.

As I posted in my suggestions, it should only require a basic mechanics check: Move out of ground targets x/3 and interrupt x/3. It would take less than 5 minutes if done right.

Once completed, it could give a legacy achievement so it only has to be completed 1 time.

The main issues are people not knowing their class specifics, standing in ground targets

And there is nothing you can do to make people learn to not stand in AOE targets (many players don't even know what AOE stands for or what it means to say "Watch for the boss' AOEs").

That's not going to fix anything. People queue for heals and DPS or tank and DPS because both roles are selected by default. And even if they were not pre-selected by default, many (most?) players would still click both roles because both would be clickable.

There is nothing to be accomplished with an "elitist boot camp." If you (whoever you are, not necessarily you specifically) don't want to run with "clueless noobs," join a guild. That's the solution.

Edited by branmakmuffin