So, this is what I have to do to fight Network Error 208

david_tm

So, after 4.0 was released and now, after 4.1... every time I try to log in into game I have "Network Error 208".

Since I can't get into client, I can't open ticket to customer support.

I wrote an email - and they said me "buy the game, no support for F2P"... and I'm sub for what now... 4 years? never unsubbed since the pre-launch.

So, well... I'm a technical guy, downloaded all they *.manifest files, ran a local file server; edited hosts file ... and now serving launcher these files manually...

really Bioware? Why should I do it for the game I paid so much for?

FIX THE problem already.

proof: image

used node http-server

Edited by david_tm

Interesting no issue here patching , editing the host file to point manifest to a local address is not the way to work out why you have issues.

208 is usually either an issue talking to manifest or the CDN , most cases if able to ping manifest directly is antivirus / firewall not allowing the program to access directly

ESET - disable protocol filtering

Kaperskey - disable scan secure/encrypted connections

for example these will persist on disable and have their own separate exception lists from the main ones

best to remove and re-add Exceptions after a patch if having issues as they can fail

Edited by OwenBrooks

been there...

disabled antivirus / firewall completely

my only guess is the CDN propagation issue, but it's only a guess.

after all, I can download files manually using browser, and by the look of it (user agent) launcher uses some kind of web-view.

manifest is separate to the cdn , the launcher is based on the chromium framework and there is 2 patching methods

streaming = bitraider (BR)

non streaming = solid state networks (SSN)

everyone contacts the same manifest.swtor.com IP address , the CDN-patch.swtor.com is however footprint (level 3)servers or Akamai CDN server ( local for Telstra in Australia) and is subject to GEODNS , so changing DNS server to one in a different region and flushing the DNS cache should change the CDN downloading from.

now you cannot ping the cdn but providing you can download from it in the web browser say this link then it is working ok.

same for the manifest this however will respond to a ping , and you already know how to download a file from it.

if you can download a file from manifest and cdn in internet explorer then it is something occurring locally blocking , the question is what.

like I said if say ESET and protocol filtering as an example this persists when you think you have disabled the AV

as to what is occurring for you is the question now , but no info on your system , and not even mentioning what you have tried , (editing the host whilst a workaround doesn't help work out what is going on) or not knowing what antivirus and firewall etc makes it hard for anyone to assist you.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Its 1130 pm here for me so if I disappear I have gone off to sleep

NAT shouldn't be an issue , I gather you have given the router/modem a reboot just to clear everything already and reset any firewall active on these.

I gather the issue is talking to manifest.swtor.com ?

what exactly was appearing the launcher logs ? in the main game folder is a log folder with dated logs.

we may also be best going to here so can attach logs and insert images etc quite easily

Make a post over there and attach the launcher log when this was occurring would be a good first step

If I don't see it tonight I will have a look and try and help in the morning

Edited by OwenBrooks

I think I found what was going on...

As I said I turned off the firewall, but I did all these steps back when 4.0 was released.

It started to happen again with 4.1 - so I never even went to try firewall turning off thing.

So I, just to be 100% sure again, turned firewall off again - and all worked.

So I went to see allowed programs list -- and, launcher was allowed only into private networks.

On the other way, so was swtor.exe - but it managed to work somehow :confused:

Just removing them from list did the job

PS

:feel stupid: