The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My Hypercrate Loot and Grand Chance Cube Review.

Reno_Tarshil

If there's so much demand for old CM stuff, why don't they just sell the old packs then? Wouldn't that be better for everyone? I get the new junk, you can have whatever old junk you like. If this were truly aimed at anyone, besides wallets, why not allow players to go after what they really want?

I assume because it would too quickly put the items on the GTN than what they like thus making it too readily available for all at an affordable price which would long term bring purchases down too fast ... this too could have the same effect but I guess for that to happen ( from such a huge selection of items per cube ) they would need to sell such an insane amount of packs that it would be definitely worth it.

If it were also aimed at wallets and it's as unpopular as everyone makes out ... how's it aimed at wallets?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key point there is the point where he says he's never before managed to not get everything from so many packs even though there is less to get.

That tends to support some of these drop rates on gold items is rather out of proportion and needs reviewing ( I won't content this ) - I still feel some people are blaming the cubes for the reality of a poor gold drop rate.

But you got new items ... silver and gold at the same rate you could get them before.

You didn't get the bronze items you could pick up in a few days time normally for under 10K each ( if you are buying packs to get these ... well I just best not comment on that sort of logic ).

Heck I fully understand where you are coming from, I would like to profit from it. Swap me your non new items for my new items - I'll take that statue for sure and pretty much all your silver stuff. Those bronze mounts, crystals emotes look good too.

Heck I'll take the lot for a Zakuul Knight upper and spa ... 2 golds there which is basically a whole crates worth.

http://imgur.com/32SSOA2 - happy to trade.

After all you don't seem to care for value etc. of the old items you got so what's it matter to you what you trade it for aslong as what I give you is "new"?

Thank you for continuing to prove you have zero understanding of the point being made.

Thank you for continuing to prove you have zero understanding of the point being made.

Thank you for proving you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I offered you a solution to your supposed "lack of new items" problem at the expense of items you stated you didn't want or would have got previously.

You keep ignoring this so it seems you just want to have a whinge rather than actually help yourself out here ... oh well that's your prerogative but at least it's showing me even people who think these cubes are so bad still don't want to part with them or their items because no one ever seems to want to take up the offer considering how worthless they make out the items are.

Hello everyone. I am shure as most of you know Patch 4.1 launched today after a unexpected but expect patch maintenance day. So I will cut right to the chase. I was eager to log in today because there is a new pack coming out and before today I fully knew about the upcoming changes regarding these "Grand Chance Cubes". Now before today, my opinion of these were that it was a good idea but was going to be terribly, horribly implemented. I will state my post 4.1 opinion further down in this post but first let's have a look at the haul, shall we?

http://i.imgur.com/8Xdp4AY.jpg

That is from 1 Hypercrate. Not pictured are the Companion Gifts and Scrap Metals.

41x Grand Chance Cubes.

vs.

1x Classic Lightweight Vibrosword

1x Insurrectionist's Blaster

2x Insurrectionist's Rifle

1x R1-H5 Astromech Droid

1x Korrealis Marquis

1x Prairie Kybuck

1x Desert Green Indestructible Crystal

1x Desert Green Hawkeye Crystal

2x Zakuulan Information Terminal

1x Squadron's Ace Upper

1x Squadron's Ace Lower

1x Darth Skotia Supple

1x Resistance Fighter Supple

1x Zak Knight Captain Lower

1x UW Anarachist Supple

Out of 60 Items, 41 were Cubes vs. 19 New Items. "But Wait Reno! You didn't open your cubes! Maybe you got something new from them!" Well let's take a look then.

http://i.imgur.com/1r0rZ0D.jpg

Would you like to guess how many of these are new? No? here's the Answer

Zero

Now for my Post 4.1 Opinion regarding "Grand Chance Cubes."

Simply put? They are garbage, not even okay. Just garbage. If they were a separate item to be sold by itself or even if you were promised at least 1 new item per pack they would be okay. But as they are now. They are garbage.

Bioware, we buy packs to get the new items within them. I know you want to make money. But I strongly recommend you not only cancel this change on any upcoming packs but you might want to consider a hot fix that adjusts the drop rate of these cubes because this pack is Garbage now and I shall not be using my free coins to buy anymore of them.

Agreed sir. Bioware made garbage men out of us.

Well there won't be yet but I've yet to see a CM item in the game from an existing pack that regularly sells for more than 25 million so it should be an easy purchase.

It could be a first though, easily.

One thing is becoming clear though still ... there is another tier of rarity within gold. These don't seem to be dropping as regularly as other items within the gold tier.

That really annoys me a bit since they gauge rarity of the 3 tiers ( 2 now ) but then there are tiers of rarity within that as they clearly don't share the same drop rates. Should have had extra colours for the usual gold, harder to get gold and nigh on impossible gold items.

I agree that after making such a big deal about the new, more straightforward bronze/silver/gold categories, they should have standardized the drop rates within each tier. But I don't think this is the first time that's happened either - just from the huge price discrepancies on the GTN I'm pretty sure the Sith Recluse set was far rarer than some of the other "gold" drops in its Pack, to say nothing of some of the mounts.

What is the reason why?

My guess, and thereby my understanding (only mine) of the reason why, is to slow professional credit farmers down from buying things and reselling them on the GTN immediately. Thus preventing or slowing them down from reselling the credits for cash and starting the cycle over.

Whether or not there is truth in that, I don't know, but it's my guess and my reasoning. Therefore, I understand why in my head according to what I believe. Fair enough?

Thank you for proving you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I offered you a solution to your supposed "lack of new items" problem at the expense of items you stated you didn't want or would have got previously.

You keep ignoring this so it seems you just want to have a whinge rather than actually help yourself out here ... oh well that's your prerogative but at least it's showing me even people who think these cubes are so bad still don't want to part with them or their items because no one ever seems to want to take up the offer considering how worthless they make out the items are.

Your solution doesn't solve the issue that I've been posting about which you continue to fail to understand. I'll eventually get these new items if I can but that's not the point.

The Point and this is the last time I'm going to say it to you:

Myself and people who share my views buy new packs when they come out for the new items within, we don't care if they end up worthless to people who sell them on the GTN. I don't care if it's bronze or silver or gold. If it's a new item in a new pack I wanna open packs to try and get it with the coins I have. When Bioware implements a new system which not only cuts into the chance of you getting an item you want but further reduces it to where you get nothing new at all, then it is a problem.

I buy new packs for the new items it contains not for older items that I do not want or already have. When you interfere with that, that leads to my current situation where I will not be buying anymore packs. And if others share my opinion that's only going to increase across the board and then there will be fewer newer items for those waiting for them to go onto the GTN.

Key point there is the point where he says he's never before managed to not get everything from so many packs even though there is less to get.

Key point: higher chance to get NEW items.

Not getting everything from 480 packs is unnormal. It's a 960 CM drops.

Buying new crate you have to be sure, you'll gain at least same amount of new items as cubes. Not 19 new items from 30 packs as mentions in first post.

Buying new crate you have to be sure, you'll gain at least same amount of new items as cubes. Not 19 new items from 30 packs as mentions in first post.

It should be 25% Cubes 75% New items if they truly wanted to stick by this cube idea. It should not be so silly as to dominate the drop rates vs. New items.

It should be 25% Cubes 75% New items if they truly wanted to stick by this cube idea. It should not be so silly as to dominate the drop rates vs. New items.

Looking at it another way with your odds, you expect to get a new silver or gold over a bronze (chance cube which can still give you a new silver or gold) 75% of the time on each roll? No company is going to stack the odds in the players favor that way.

Myself and people who share my views buy new packs when they come out for the new items within, we don't care if they end up worthless to people who sell them on the GTN. I don't care if it's bronze or silver or gold. If it's a new item in a new pack I wanna open packs to try and get it with the coins I have. When Bioware implements a new system which not only cuts into the chance of you getting an item you want but further reduces it to where you get nothing new at all, then it is a problem

I buy new packs for the new items it contains not for older items that I do not want or already have. When you interfere with that, that leads to my current situation where I will not be buying anymore packs. And if others share my opinion that's only going to increase across the board and then there will be fewer newer items for those waiting for them to go onto the GTN.

Right so you prefer dupes of worthless bronze junk instead of possibly unique and certainly more valuable older items. If that's how you like to waste your money that's fine but damn I hope they don't they listen to you at all and revert this change.

I'd be fine with middle ground ( 1 guaranteed new drop per pack for example ) but to go back to what we had before to cater to the perceived smaller group of collectors who already have everything they want would be a massive step backwards.

Looking at it another way with your odds, you expect to get a new silver or gold over a bronze (chance cube which can still give you a new silver or gold) 75% of the time on each roll? No company is going to stack the odds in the players favor that way.

Indeed and if they brought back more new bronze items to allow for that "new item" drop rate then that's more junk I've got to sort through and try get rid of for a price that's barely even worth the trouble listing on the GTN.

If I get items I don't want I at least like to feel like I get a significant credit return ( to buy something I do want ) from those items, not that it's a chore or worse completely destroy it from the game by trashing it.

I don't feel this way anymore ... it's a definite improvement.

Yes not getting everything is indeed not normal for that poster ... because everything is silver gold now. If normally they would get everything ( silver and gold included ) then that tells us something is screwy with the silver and gold drop rates now ( well gold since I believe that was what was missing ).

Bioware stated the cubes would drop less often than previous bronze junk ( and it seems the case since the majority of packs in the previous shipment would have dual bronze items in them ) - that doesn't affect the silver or gold drop rate.

Right so you prefer dupes of worthless bronze junk instead of possibly unique and certainly more valuable older items. If that's how you like to waste your money that's fine but damn I hope they don't they listen to you at all and revert this change.

I'd be fine with middle ground ( 1 guaranteed new drop per pack for example ) but to go back to what we had before to cater to the perceived smaller group of collectors who already have everything they want would be a massive step backwards.

Worthless to you maybe, not worthless to other people. And Yes I would much rather have a smaller assortment of items that I know I have chance of getting then a random item that may contain something I don't want or already have from the entire market and took the place of a new item that could have potentially been there instead.

Most of what is being discussed is regarding hypercrates, with someone like me who only buys a pack or two once in awhile, its ridiculous.

I grab one or two in order to get a chance at new items I like. Last couple packs I got a week ago ave me some decent stuff. Now my chances are almost none existent as more then likely I will get double chance cubes full of worthless garbage which they seem to contain 100% of the time.

As long as the chance cubes are a part of the main packs I will never bother again, instead I will use ccs for collection unlocks and such.

Just isnt worth it unless someone can afford 2, 8, 15 hypercrates.

I do have a question, has anyone received the new lightsaber out of these packs?

So far all the packs I've seen listed & my own, haven't gotten one.

Yes. I got the single and someone else in this thread said they got the double. A few others have reported seeing it on their server(s) as well.

Worthless to you maybe, not worthless to other people.

Trying to think of a use for the duplicates ... hmmm ...

Enlighten me?

Let's say armour. You already have the items, probably duplicates, possibly unlocked for collections ... what value then does the duplicates have? To send to friends? Do people buy packs with CC to get duplicate items to send to friends as opposed to buying them for credits dirt cheap to achieve the same thing? Hmm seems unlikely ... any other reasons to show what sort of value that old duplicate junk had?

And Yes I would much rather have a smaller assortment of items that I know I have chance of getting then a random item that may contain something I don't want or already have from the entire market and took the place of a new item that could have potentially been there instead

But previously you were getting more bronze duplicates than you do now ... you already had those items if they dropped from the pack ... I'm just trying to understand the logic of why people would prefer these duplicates is all.

Note NO silver or gold item would have been there instead, just a bronze item as before. Silver/gold drops you already got from opening the pack so that doesn't change.

Most of what is being discussed is regarding hypercrates, with someone like me who only buys a pack or two once in awhile, its ridiculous.

I grab one or two in order to get a chance at new items I like. Last couple packs I got a week ago ave me some decent stuff. Now my chances are almost none existent as more then likely I will get double chance cubes full of worthless garbage which they seem to contain 100% of the time.

As long as the chance cubes are a part of the main packs I will never bother again, instead I will use ccs for collection unlocks and such.

Just isnt worth it unless someone can afford 2, 8, 15 hypercrates.

100% now ... my these drop rates sure do keep going up.

Your odds of getting something decent ( assuming silver/gold - if you wanted bronze buy it from the CM it's so damn cheap it's not funny ) have actually improved PLUS the junk you do get in place of the old bronze junk will sell for more than before opening up your options as a small time purchaser.

Yes. I got the single and someone else in this thread said they got the double. A few others have reported seeing it on their server(s) as well.

12 hours and they unbind ... wonder how many will be listed and how quickly they'll be picked up.

I barely even play actual game content outside of GTN stuff anymore and I'm seriously thinking about dropping a considerable sum on them just to run around fleet showing off for awhile ...

Better yet the starter worlds where I can inspire a whole new generation of cartel market purchasers from the new players who really won't care about old drops at all. :D

12 hours and they unbind ... wonder how many will be listed and how quickly they'll be picked up.

I barely even play actual game content outside of GTN stuff anymore and I'm seriously thinking about dropping a considerable sum on them just to run around fleet showing off for awhile ...

Better yet the starter worlds where I can inspire a whole new generation of cartel market purchasers from the new players who really won't care about old drops at all. :D

I got a black-orange striated crystal too, it looks pretty awesome in the blade. Though I think I'll take my black-purple and use it. I'll be honest, if I hadn't gotten the drop, I'd be spending the credits to get it for sure, just to have it.

On that note, CS gave me 200CC for a ticket they just closed and I bought a pack, got the dual vibroblade. I guess that'll be going to my mara.

I got a black-orange striated crystal too, it looks pretty awesome in the blade. Though I think I'll take my black-purple and use it. I'll be honest, if I hadn't gotten the drop, I'd be spending the credits to get it for sure, just to have it.

On that note, CS gave me 200CC for a ticket they just closed and I bought a pack, got the dual vibroblade. I guess that'll be going to my mara.

Hmmm yeah crystals ... so many decisions and options there ... then what to dual wield with ... decisions, decisions.

Trying to think of a use for the duplicates ... hmmm ...

Enlighten me?

Let's say armour. You already have the items, probably duplicates, possibly unlocked for collections ... what value then does the duplicates have? To send to friends? Do people buy packs with CC to get duplicate items to send to friends as opposed to buying them for credits dirt cheap to achieve the same thing? Hmm seems unlikely ... any other reasons to show what sort of value that old duplicate junk had?

But previously you were getting more bronze duplicates than you do now ... you already had those items if they dropped from the pack ... I'm just trying to understand the logic of why people would prefer these duplicates is all.

Note NO silver or gold item would have been there instead, just a bronze item as before. Silver/gold drops you already got from opening the pack so that doesn't change.

To sell, to give to a friend who bought a hypercrate but didn't quite get that last 1/3 Armor Box they were missing and thus saving them credits because you're being helpful. Just because you see it as unlikely doesn't make it so.

Why would people prefer duplicates? Because it's new. Just because you don't see value in it beyond how much you can sell it for on the GTN doesn't mean it isn't there.

And for your last bit, that's the point. Instead of that cube it could have been something new from that specifically, the whole reason people like me buy new packs for to get the new items.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.